Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Playing with instincts (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173106)

MannyO 05-06-2010 08:26 PM

Playing with instincts

Does anybody here remember how they used to play when they were younger? I remember I used to play so carefree and will be doing very well until I got to HS. Its not that my skill set changed but my mindset changed because of all the pressures to play perfectly. Especially my vars coach puts A LOT of pressure on us because if you mess up even once you are out of the game. So instead of just playing carefree I start to think and hesitate and my game is no longer smooth. Sometimes players can also mess with your game. They will constantly talk smack about your game and how "wack" you are. Then they give you the ball and clear everything out for the iso and the guy is still talking. So you start thinking of what to do and hesitate. Does this happen to anybody because I feel that is how I play now, I think too much. I need to just play with just instincts and let the game flow.

NY-Knicks 05-06-2010 08:54 PM

Re: Playing with instincts

I might be wrong but I believe it was Bernard King who once said: "When I get the ball I don't know what I'll do with it, so how is the defender going to stop me from scoring when I haven't even made my mind up". Or some like that, so it is important to have basic moves and counter moves when the defense stops you; go check out tapes of Kobe, he is great at that. This is when being in an iso situation.

Also try to keep your cool during games, don't overdribble. It will come once you become more experienced, your basketball IQ improves and so does your confidence. It will come in time and as for right now just play controlled basketball.

1manfastbreak 05-06-2010 09:02 PM

MENTAL TOUGHNESS

everyone wants it - very few actually have it

LA KB24 05-06-2010 09:29 PM

I definitely see what the OP is saying.

I know I hesitate a lot when people talk sh1t, this puts pressure on me and throws my game off. Hopefully I can overcome it one day.

DarkSephiroth 05-06-2010 09:36 PM

Just remember, Basketball is a Game. It's meant to be played for fun! Don't let the pressures get to you, because in the end it's just a fun game, right? =D

MannyO 05-06-2010 10:33 PM

Allen Iverson is a good example of a person who plays with instincts. I found this interesting article about him:
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...verson-s-terms

Instead of practicing he visualizes the game and then plays it out the way he processed it. He most likely does practice but not as much as other NBA players which is quite amazing.

Swaggin916 05-06-2010 11:22 PM

It definitely helps to have a type A personality. Almost anyone who is anything special in the NBA is a type A personality and a leader. Kobe, Lebron, Wade are arguably the top the 3 players in the game, and all of them the leaders of not only their team, but leaders in life as well. It's their personality. They don't follow anyone... so when if someone is talking shit to them... they think "Who the hell is this guy talking shit? lmao he ain't shit" There are exceptions to this... but they are either so skilled, or so athletic, that they can be effective. They most likely are not star players tho.

Most people (including myself), are not natural leaders. We are followers, and confidence in our own ability to succeed can be effected. The way you combat this (because most likely you aren't going to be able to change you entire personality), is to just get as good as you possibly can. What do you do really well on the court? For me, it's shoot. I don't hesitate for one second and I have confidence that the ball is going in. Why is that? Cus I have been shooting all my life and I spent more time on doing it than anything else. What don't I have a whole lot of confidence? My ability to take someone off the dribble (I never did it when I was little or growing up so I never developed the ability)... so I need to practice that more than anything else... dedicate practice sessions to it. I need to practice it with my friends, practice it in non competitive pickup games, practice it anywhere that I can until I feel comfortable with it. Once you are comfortable, your confidence will sky rocket and success will come. It all depends on what you want though... obv. for a team you are going to have a role. You want to run the Point right? You have to be a leader out there... you have to know what you are doing. So, if it' important enough to you, you will work on ever aspect of the game that a PG needs to be great at and not stop until you are flawless.

So... eventually your game and your confidence in it will be solid enough to relieve the doubt in your mind put there by that shit talking defender. It's probably always going to bother you a bit, but the guy who is guarding you better be good cus if he ain't he is going to look stupid... cus you are good and you are going to shit on him if he isn't.

MannyO 05-06-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggin916
It definitely helps to have a type A personality. Almost anyone who is anything special in the NBA is a type A personality and a leader. Kobe, Lebron, Wade are arguably the top the 3 players in the game, and all of them the leaders of not only their team, but leaders in life as well. It's their personality. They don't follow anyone... so when if someone is talking shit to them... they think "Who the hell is this guy talking shit? lmao he ain't shit" There are exceptions to this... but they are either so skilled, or so athletic, that they can be effective. They most likely are not star players tho.

Most people (including myself), are not natural leaders. We are followers, and confidence in our own ability to succeed can be effected. The way you combat this (because most likely you aren't going to be able to change you entire personality), is to just get as good as you possibly can. What do you do really well on the court? For me, it's shoot. I don't hesitate for one second and I have confidence that the ball is going in. Why is that? Cus I have been shooting all my life and I spent more time on doing it than anything else. What don't I have a whole lot of confidence? My ability to take someone off the dribble... so I need to practice that more than anything else... dedicate practice sessions to it. I need to practice it with my friends, practice it in non competitive pickup games, practice it anywhere that I can until I feel comfortable with it. Once you are comfortable, your confidence will sky rocket and success will come.

So... eventually your game and your confidence in it will be solid enough to relieve the doubt in your mind put there by that shit talking defender. It's probably always going to bother you a bit, but the guy who is guarding you better be good cus if he ain't he is going to look stupid... cus you are good and you are going to shit on him if he isn't.

the thing about me is i haven't found something I am really good at. I can do everything well but nothing exceptionally well. I am athletic and quick so I use that to take my defender off the dribble. But this summer I plan on improving my jumpshot, drives scoring in traffic and defense.

btw don't you think guys like Kobe, and Dwade developed leadership. Before Kobe used to be a one man show, or a sidekick to shaq (some will say). But he got smarter as he grew older and learned to get his teammates involved I think he developed leadership. Same with Dwade, but Lebron seemed to always be good but he must have had past experiences making him a better leader.

Swaggin916 05-06-2010 11:46 PM

Let me clarify, leadership in a team environment is developed, but leadership as an individual is probably born with. It's like Dogs... you have the pack leaders, and you have all the other dogs following the pack leader. Kobe has always been an individual leader... he wants the responsibility of winning games for his team. Now, that can be a detriment, because for a while, he didn't trust his teammates... he wanted to do it all himself because he was the only one he felt he could trust. He eventually started to trust his teammates because he saw that they could be effective... and he developed into a team leader.

Yea man just continue to work on those things that you aren't as good at. Mainly focus on what you need to be a good PG though... and of course what your coach wants. He won't play you if you don't do what he needs you to do, so find out from him what he wants (if he hasn't already told you) and work on those things at least 5/7 days a week until you master them. You still need game success to feel totally comfortable with them... but let's say right now your shot drops 20% from practice to a game... well if you raise your practice percentage 20%, it will cancel it out and you will now shoot 20% better in games (in theory). Practice makes perfect man.

lilojmayo 05-06-2010 11:50 PM

visualize the court, and seeing what happens before it happens helps. When i practice i always visualize a defender and try to put myself in his shoes, how would i react to this move. and i also like to do it in pick and roll visualize with everything imagine it wen i practice.

It helps your driving game, and your pick and roll for guard play. You start to really see when you can slip the d, which with bad defense is a lot.

bobbyflay 05-29-2010 05:22 PM

I'm not the type of person that can visualize what I do before I do it. When I start thinking in basketball, I can pass better and stuff but can't shoot well. When I play with instincts or get flow, I can handle really well and shoot great. I realized that to play with my instincts or get flow, I have to be positive. When I feel positive, it's like I see the whole world in a rhythm.

forensic91 05-29-2010 06:52 PM

Basketball isn't only about being 'physically capable'. A lot of it is mental also. A lot of it is mental and about confidence. Now, obviously if your coach doesn't have confidence in you and pulls you if you make one mistake, it doesn't help your game...

scm5 06-01-2010 06:10 AM

I wish I could be more instinctual with my shot at times. I tend to try and take only GOOD shots, which sometimes actually causes me to second guess what would have been a good shot.

Sticks 06-01-2010 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scm5
I wish I could be more instinctual with my shot at times. I tend to try and take only GOOD shots, which sometimes actually causes me to second guess what would have been a good shot.

Know your range, if you're open it's a good shot.

scm5 06-01-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sticks
Know your range, if you're open it's a good shot.

I'm talking about shots I create for myself mostly. If I get an open shot, I'm probably going to shoot it unless I see someone wide open under the rim.

Sometimes I shake a defender well enough to get a good look, but I end up not taking the shot because I hesitate and don't want to force up a shot. It's mostly a pet peeve thing. I don't like players that force up shots when other players have better looks so I try not to do it... it really bothers me sometimes because I know I had a good look and second guessed myself.