Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what type of offense do you run in a pick up game? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173414)

devin112 05-09-2010 10:08 PM

what type of offense do you run in a pick up game?
 
obviously, in pick up games w/ people you don't know or play w/ regularly- fastbreaks is a good idea. other then that i try to team up w/ another player or 2 and get pick and rolls set up, some give and goes, post up and cuts. real basic stuff instead of going down, one pass and then chuck ya know?

i wish i had a steady 5 all the time.

Basketman 05-09-2010 11:55 PM

Re: what type of offense do you run in a pick up game?
 
Only pick and rolls.

1manfastbreak 05-10-2010 04:58 AM

Re: what type of offense do you run in a pick up game?
 
you just gotta move without the ball. set screens for other players

Sticks 05-10-2010 05:06 AM

Re: what type of offense do you run in a pick up game?
 
Pick and roll, Pick and Pop, Give and Go's, Pass/Screen-Away. Basically anything that does not require a board to explain to people.

Marv_Albert 05-10-2010 06:52 AM

Re: what type of offense do you run in a pick up game?
 
Run around like a mad man with my hands waving around in the air yelling "Yes" or clapping my hands and yelling for the ball.......or setting screens, sometimes.

NotYetGreat 05-10-2010 10:42 AM

Re: what type of offense do you run in a pick up game?
 
Pick & Roll/Pop
Pass then Screen Away
Iso

The sucky thing about here though is that everyone wants to play Iso.

HylianNightmare 05-10-2010 11:52 AM

Re: what type of offense do you run in a pick up game?
 
Pick and roll/pop
and i usually try to set screen for my teammates but some of the kids i play with are so stupid they never make use of them
i love the drive and dish because there are very few people around here that can stay in front of me, and when i play with "bigs" i turn them into my own personal dwight howards i just beat my man off the dribble at the top of the key and when their man comes to get me i drop it down to him for the easy lay up.
and if all else fails, iso at the top of the key for an easy layup or mid range j

phoenix18 05-10-2010 01:55 PM

Re: what type of offense do you run in a pick up game?
 
People run offense in pickup?

Unless I'm playing with older people or like college level ballers, people even look at you funny when you want them to set a pick.

Swaggin916 05-10-2010 02:54 PM

Re: what type of offense do you run in a pick up game?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix18
People run offense in pickup?

Unless I'm playing with older people or like college level ballers, people even look at you funny when you want them to set a pick.


well where I play lot of pick up games involve picks... Some more than others, but usually people will set a few picks for me and I'll set picks for others as well... I set a lot of backdoor picks to get people open under the basket.

Mostly though yea it's just pick and roll/pop and iso's... and 99% of the time it's either at the top of the key with someone trying to take someone off the dribble, or a post up. I am one of the few people there who will catch it in the high post and face up (Ala Lebron, Carmelo, Kobe)... but that's usually only a couple possessions per game. Since most people can't create their own shot it's mostly about transition buckets or somebody being open at the 3... which usually seems to stem from somebody either not getting back on D or playing lazy D. I seem to be one of the few people there who drive and kick to get people open shots... love playing with those guys when they are around though.

devin112 05-10-2010 06:21 PM

Re: what type of offense do you run in a pick up game?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix18
People run offense in pickup?

Unless I'm playing with older people or like college level ballers, people even look at you funny when you want them to set a pick.



people generally don't, but what i like to do is go up to a dude and tell him to run pick and rolls w/ me or set up a post up w/ cuts.

it's better then playing like a bunch of chickens w/ their heads cut off.

LBJFTW 05-10-2010 06:26 PM

Re: what type of offense do you run in a pick up game?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix18
People run offense in pickup?

Unless I'm playing with older people or like college level ballers, people even look at you funny when you want them to set a pick.


Tell me about it! I tried to set a pick for some guy and he waved me away telling me "I don't need a pick to get by this guy." His head was so far up his ass he had to walk backwards just to see straight. :oldlol:

Swaggin916 05-10-2010 10:37 PM

Re: what type of offense do you run in a pick up game?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LBJFTW
Tell me about it! I tried to set a pick for some guy and he waved me away telling me "I don't need a pick to get by this guy." His head was so far up his ass he had to walk backwards just to see straight. :oldlol:


Yea I generally hate it when people do that unless they have just been switching the picks or for some reason playing them well... a couple times a game doesn't bother me though. If somebody can obviously beat someone 1 on 1, then you are going to have an easy bucket or (less likely) a drive and kick/dish. Most of the time a screen is going to get you some space though so why are you denying it? Most people go under the screen so you are going to get a wide open shot... but whatever people are going to do what they are going to do and I get that they'd like some space... but maybe they just want to show the other person up... and I'm not a big fan of that. Sometimes people have no idea when or where to really screen tho... I've had people try to screen for me on an obvious iso 18 feet from the cup and it's like okay... lol. Pickup... can't live it, can't live without it :lol

Basically yea it sure would be nice to your own 5.

LBJFTW 05-11-2010 11:57 AM

Re: what type of offense do you run in a pick up game?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yea I generally hate it when people do that unless they have just been switching the picks or for some reason playing them well... a couple times a game doesn't bother me though. If somebody can obviously beat someone 1 on 1, then you are going to have an easy bucket or (less likely) a drive and kick/dish. Most of the time a screen is going to get you some space though so why are you denying it? Most people go under the screen so you are going to get a wide open shot... but whatever people are going to do what they are going to do and I get that they'd like some space... but maybe they just want to show the other person up... and I'm not a big fan of that. Sometimes people have no idea when or where to really screen tho... I've had people try to screen for me on an obvious iso 18 feet from the cup and it's like okay... lol. Pickup... can't live it, can't live without it :lol

Basically yea it sure would be nice to your own 5.


I hear where you're coming from. Another thing I can't stand is when you're playing somewhere and there's a big turnout and players on your team leave early. I was having a blast for the first hour or so of play last week being on a team that actually played high IQ basketball. After dominating for such a long stretch, I think some of the players got board on my team and decided to hoop elsewhere. What began to transpire after that was probably the biggest display of hoop dream drama wanna be's I'd ever come accross. I wound up on a team where litterally this guy was inbounding the ball off the wall to him self, racing down court, and chucking long shots 3 feet behind the arc, missing badly. Gotta love the drawbacks of playing with people you've never met before. :lol

Swaggin916 05-11-2010 03:07 PM

Re: what type of offense do you run in a pick up game?
 
Oh jeez the famous wall inbounders :oldlol:

Lancerballer21 05-12-2010 09:49 PM

Re: what type of offense do you run in a pick up game?
 
I usually set picks and roll, or just post up. Its real easy cause i can fit in on with any group of people i play with. Cause everyone needs a big man to do some of the dirty work.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy