Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Do they notice you? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174006)

carpevicis 05-12-2010 09:05 PM

Do they notice you?
 
I just got back from the gym and played some pickup 4 v 4 against some college kids, and I was expecting to be quiet like normal especially today cause i dropped a weight on my middle finger of my shooting hand yesterday, it felt terrible to bend, but anyways:

I ended up feeling it, hitting 11/14 or so off mid-range jumpers and transition baskets. I also played some fairly decent D, held my guy to low numbers and hit my teammates for some easy shots. But I'm wondering, will the people that watch me if I ever get that good notice what I'm doing? I'm not loud, not flashy or very attention gathering, I just hit my shots, get the smart plays and hustle for the ball. Will the recruiters, coaches and scouts know what the little things are, or are they all focused on the hyped flashy players?

Kumo 05-12-2010 09:34 PM

Re: Do they notice you?
 
I think they look for coachable players... aka you.

But, most of the really talented guys tend to be flashy as well.

devin112 05-12-2010 10:26 PM

Re: Do they notice you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by carpevicis
I just got back from the gym and played some pickup 4 v 4 against some college kids, and I was expecting to be quiet like normal especially today cause i dropped a weight on my middle finger of my shooting hand yesterday, it felt terrible to bend, but anyways:

I ended up feeling it, hitting 11/14 or so off mid-range jumpers and transition baskets. I also played some fairly decent D, held my guy to low numbers and hit my teammates for some easy shots. But I'm wondering, will the people that watch me if I ever get that good notice what I'm doing? I'm not loud, not flashy or very attention gathering, I just hit my shots, get the smart plays and hustle for the ball. Will the recruiters, coaches and scouts know what the little things are, or are they all focused on the hyped flashy players?



ah...if coachs and scouts don't know what the little things are who would? sorry, but that's a really silly question. it's their job.

1manfastbreak 05-12-2010 10:49 PM

Re: Do they notice you?
 
if you are a good ball player people will take notice. id take production over flash any day.

Swaggin916 05-12-2010 10:54 PM

Re: Do they notice you?
 
If you make 11/14 shots people are going to take notice ha. A lot of people can catch fire though so coaches are looking for other things... and they may seem like little things but generally you can't teach really teach stuff like hustle so if it's obvious that you are working your butt off, that's a big positive for you.

Rake2204 05-13-2010 01:56 PM

Re: Do they notice you?
 
As a coach, one of the biggest messages I try to convey to my current players, former players, and potential players is that we look for the whole package. Nearly every player assumes putting the ball in the bucket is what will draw the attention of basketball higher-ups but scoring the ball is a foregone conclusion to us.

We know there's a bazillion people who can score well. We're always looking further than that. Does he dunk, then jog back in transition? When his teammate drops a pass, does he vilify him? Does he lock down on D? Is he open to criticism? When his teammate is in the open floor all by himself, will he sprint behind, just in case he misses?

Yes, spectacular offense will get a player noticed, but if that's all he's got, it'll make him "unnoticed" real quick.

NY-Knicks 05-13-2010 02:38 PM

Re: Do they notice you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rake2204
As a coach, one of the biggest messages I try to convey to my current players, former players, and potential players is that we look for the whole package. Nearly every player assumes putting the ball in the bucket is what will draw the attention of basketball higher-ups but scoring the ball is a foregone conclusion to us.

We know there's a bazillion people who can score well. We're always looking further than that. Does he dunk, then jog back in transition? When his teammate drops a pass, does he vilify him? Does he lock down on D? Is he open to criticism? When his teammate is in the open floor all by himself, will he sprint behind, just in case he misses?

Yes, spectacular offense will get a player noticed, but if that's all he's got, it'll make him "unnoticed" real quick.



well put.

You can get a lot of points by not giving up on a play like you mentioned with the fastbreak layup. You sprint on offense to get layups and you sprint back on defense to prevent layups. :applause:

iamgine 05-13-2010 04:33 PM

Re: Do they notice you?
 
I always thought first and foremost coaches/scouts look for the things that they can't teach like athleticism, speed, court vision, leadership, hustle, etc.

Then they look for the things they can't teach very quickly like shooting, defense, teamwork.

The last thing is the easiest to teach like stamina, dribbling, position, free throws and other technical stuff.

carpevicis 05-13-2010 08:52 PM

Re: Do they notice you?
 
Thanks guys. I really just meant what college scouts look for. Another question, how does transferring high schools work? My dream is to play for Montrose Christian, but how does it work just changing schools in general?

1manfastbreak 05-14-2010 02:42 AM

Re: Do they notice you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by carpevicis
Thanks guys. I really just meant what college scouts look for. Another question, how does transferring high schools work? My dream is to play for Montrose Christian, but how does it work just changing schools in general?


pretty sure that every school district has its own rules and such you have to abide by

Lancerballer21 05-14-2010 11:21 PM

Re: Do they notice you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by carpevicis
Thanks guys. I really just meant what college scouts look for. Another question, how does transferring high schools work? My dream is to play for Montrose Christian, but how does it work just changing schools in general?


Montrose Christian is a great basketball school. Do you live close to it?

carpevicis 05-15-2010 09:02 AM

Re: Do they notice you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancerballer21
Montrose Christian is a great basketball school. Do you live close to it?


Nope, I live by Boston and I'd really like to play there, but it's not a huge deal to me because I'd rather play in college. Still, if I was good enough to play there I'd definitely choose to.

Lancerballer21 05-15-2010 11:19 PM

Re: Do they notice you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by carpevicis
Nope, I live by Boston and I'd really like to play there, but it's not a huge deal to me because I'd rather play in college. Still, if I was good enough to play there I'd definitely choose to.


I used to go to there summer camps when i was in elementary school, but i never even thought about going to any private school to play ball

Fallguy20 05-16-2010 11:28 PM

Re: Do they notice you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by carpevicis
Thanks guys. I really just meant what college scouts look for. Another question, how does transferring high schools work? My dream is to play for Montrose Christian, but how does it work just changing schools in general?



... your dream is to play for a highschool team?


there is life after basketball

Splitz77 05-17-2010 12:52 AM

Re: Do they notice you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
if you are a good ball player people will take notice. id take production over flash any day.



Id take Flashy Production over just production any day. Being productive wins games, but being productive and flashy at the same time fills up the stadium..


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy