Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Shoulder Injuries (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176202)

yellownpurple 05-30-2010 12:51 AM

Shoulder Injuries
 
Does anyone here play with a reoccurring shoulder problem? Like a shoulder that dislocates really, really easily? If any of you guys do, or had this problem before, I was wondering how you dealt with it.

Sometimes when I stick my arm out to try to deflect a ball or even reach for a steal, it would pop out and back in right a way. I've probably dislocated my shoulder about 15x in my life.

Would buying a shoulder sleeve even help at all to minimize the range of motion my shoulder has?

Swaggin916 05-30-2010 02:25 AM

Re: Shoulder Injuries
 
Yea it would seem like you would need something to limit the range of motion so that can't happen... but I don't really know how to solve the actual problem tho.

NotYetGreat 05-30-2010 03:06 AM

Re: Shoulder Injuries
 
You should probably check in with a doctor for that. Might have to go to rehab for it, too.

ABPrints 05-30-2010 06:27 PM

Re: Shoulder Injuries
 
Yeah, a subluxing shoulder (if that is what is really going on) is not a good thing. And the braces commonly used to limit ER and extension really are not made for basketball. In other words you would not enjoy your time on the court with one on.

Take the suggestions and see a physician

JerrySteakhouse 05-31-2010 09:12 AM

Re: Shoulder Injuries
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellownpurple
Does anyone here play with a reoccurring shoulder problem? Like a shoulder that dislocates really, really easily? If any of you guys do, or had this problem before, I was wondering how you dealt with it.

Sometimes when I stick my arm out to try to deflect a ball or even reach for a steal, it would pop out and back in right a way. I've probably dislocated my shoulder about 15x in my life.

Would buying a shoulder sleeve even help at all to minimize the range of motion my shoulder has?


Damn man 15 times??... I dislocated my right shoulder last September, it hurt like hell at first. I was given the option to do surgery on it but I decied to take my chances (doc said it was 60-80 % chance itll happen again). Till this day I haven't dislocated it again, but i'm not doing the same things I use to. I rarely drive in because of the fear of it happening again and my shoulder definitely does NOT feel the same. I just had some physio for my shoulder and i'm still lifting light weights to try to help the issue out. Apparently I dislocated it pretty bad (full dislocation and really ****ed up the tissues around).

Anyways, there were two options for me, surgery or rehab. So if you really considering on having surgery you gotta talk to a doc and figure it out.

I was wondering if a shoulder sleeve would help too... If anyone knows if there actually useful or if where I can get one that'll help me aswell.

Swaggin916 05-31-2010 12:22 PM

Re: Shoulder Injuries
 
dude it sounds like you might have been better off with the surgery.

JerrySteakhouse 05-31-2010 10:02 PM

Re: Shoulder Injuries
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggin916
dude it sounds like you might have been better off with the surgery.


Yeah i know, but it it ever happens again i'm definitely getting surgery.

yellownpurple 06-01-2010 08:49 AM

Re: Shoulder Injuries
 
sorry guys, i probably chose the wrong word.. I don't think I dislocate my shoulder but rather having a subluxation shoulder. anyone else deal with this?

yea i went through a rehab center to help strengthen my shoulder with the exercises they gave me... but I guess I didn't train hard enough.

ABPrints 06-01-2010 11:52 PM

Re: Shoulder Injuries
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellownpurple
sorry guys, i probably chose the wrong word.. I don't think I dislocate my shoulder but rather having a subluxation shoulder. anyone else deal with this?

yea i went through a rehab center to help strengthen my shoulder with the exercises they gave me... but I guess I didn't train hard enough.



Subluxation or dislocation, really doesnt matter, both mean an instable shoulder and both can cause damage to the labrum. Rehab is a good start, but if you did everything you were told to do and it still didn't work, doesn't mean you didn't work hard enough necessarily. Exhaust all non-invasive possibilities first. From there, surgery may be the best course in the end. Have you had an MRI?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy