Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Which to Trust? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176360)

Kobe8 05-31-2010 10:35 AM

Which to Trust?
 
Aiight , So I play Ball in the Philippines , and I have good days and bad days.
But everytime I get a bad day for 3 straight day .. My Friends (also considered my bruthas) , They complain a lot and insults w/ "that I suck". (I play w/ Community vets , Age 18-30 , im 16 years old).
I keep telling them , im not used to there game play.. ( no body posts up ,and thats my game). They used me as a swing man . and I love the role , but everytime I make a mistake , they really keep buggin me of "Discouraging thoughts" , Well yeah they want me to get better but they keep comparin me to this one young dude who plays better than me. , and was like WTF? let me be me and let him do his $hit.
And thats not a good way to encourage someone , aint I right?

So im back in germany , I Played ball with my friends , and one of them suggested that i should play for Junior Varsity , ( im a freshman , HS).
They said I have Game ,.. And now I feel better that someone or somebody Loves/Admire's my game. They Keep sayin im the #2 player in the Freshman Category. (LOL).

So , I know I need to get better , But It isnt right that they keep insulting me and feed me discouraging b.s. , .. as i said before , they want me to get better , they keep feedin me tips of how to improve your game but it comes with harsh thoughts , like comparing me to some dude , and all those words that makes you discouraged and i know that , that isnt the right thing to say.

So If your reading this , Post back of how Can I twist the words?
For Ex : I cant just confront them and tell them this is what they should tell me..

I need to give them some hints , to stop them from saying those kind of comments bout me.
Should I keep playing with them?
I know I need to prove them wrong , but it takes time to improve.
And how can I improve when they keep discouragin me. :confusedshrug:


Thanks
NiC

Sticks 05-31-2010 10:54 AM

Re: Which to Trust?
 
Well if your game is back to the basket in the post and they use you as a wing it´s no wonder you´re bound to make mistakes. The best advice I can give, trust in yourselves, know your strengths, weaknesses and goals and work on them.

To answer your questions:
Keep playing with them if you feel it helps you get better and you enjoy it.

If time is what it takes then make sure you take it. Keep your long-term goals in mind. Hell I wanted to be a 3-point threat at the start of the season, first 2-3 months I shot bricks and airballs and everyone told me I should stop. Now I'm comfortably stroking and finding my range more and more, learning things basketball takes time for most folks and you're going to have to be mentally tough about it.

Be mentally tough, they are most likely not trying to bring you down, they see in you a young guy with upside, someone that can go where they might not have gone but wanted to go when they were your age. You can occasionaly let them know you'd like some positive input as well. Tell them you like hearing it when you made the right play so you know to make it a second and third time, things like that.

Most of all it's important to keep your own goals in mind and keep working on your game.

NY-Knicks 05-31-2010 10:58 AM

Re: Which to Trust?
 
I have the same thing, play with guys who are way older and more experienced than me. The best way to use me on offense is to let me post up smaller guys during mismatches, which happens a lot. But I don't get the f-ckin' ball. They scream at me to get the f-ck out of the paint because there are bigger guys (who don't have a matchup advantage) and they tell me to just run pass screen away. Which I hate. They keep on yelling at me, particularly a couple of them.

I get motivated by the "you suck", "piece of shit" comments. It makes me angry and I become more agressive on the court. But once those really annoying guys get in the game the whole way we play changes, so I start working on my own. The problem is that these guys often make bone-headed plays but still scream at you for not running a play during pickup.........

NY-Knicks 05-31-2010 11:00 AM

Re: Which to Trust?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sticks
Well if your game is back to the basket in the post and they use you as a wing it´s no wonder you´re bound to make mistakes. The best advice I can give, trust in yourselves, know your strengths, weaknesses and goals and work on them.

To answer your questions:
Keep playing with them if you feel it helps you get better and you enjoy it.

If time is what it takes then make sure you take it. Keep your long-term goals in mind. Hell I wanted to be a 3-point threat at the start of the season, first 2-3 months I shot bricks and airballs and everyone told me I should stop. Now I'm comfortably stroking and finding my range more and more, learning things basketball takes time for most folks and you're going to have to be mentally tough about it.

Be mentally tough, they are most likely not trying to bring you down, they see in you a young guy with upside, someone that can go where they might not have gone but wanted to go when they were your age. You can occasionaly let them know you'd like some positive input as well. Tell them you like hearing it when you made the right play so you know to make it a second and third time, things like that.

Most of all it's important to keep your own goals in mind and keep working on your game.


well said. Just take the "Kobe approach". Just use the negative attention as a motivating factor.

Sticks 05-31-2010 11:11 AM

Re: Which to Trust?
 
If someone tells me I can't do something you better think I'll be thinking about how I'm going to prove that person wrong. I couldn't jump so I did plyos, I couldn't shoot so I spent an off-season working on my jumper. I can't handle the ball I'm going to be doing dribble exercises this off-season.

carpevicis 05-31-2010 11:44 AM

Re: Which to Trust?
 
Man, people are going to talk crap about you no matter where you are, or how old you are. It's just what people do. But there's people who can't take it and give up, and there's people who take it all in and use it to improve.

If you're a post player being used as a wing player, of course you won't feel natural. I'm a guard and I would never go to the post unless I had a mismatch. But if you feel you're effective down low, then get down low and call for the ball. Don't listen to the other people if you don't think they're right.

If you don't like them talking about you like that, there's really only one thing you can do. Prove them wrong. You can't argue with skills, so let your game do the talking.

And about HS basketball, you shouldn't care if someone likes/dislikes your game. It's what you think about it and what you want to do with it that matters.

Swaggin916 05-31-2010 12:41 PM

Re: Which to Trust?
 
Well I don't know about you guys... but if someone yells at me in pickup I just think they are a joke. It depends how they yell tho... if I feel that is a solid meaning behind it then that's different, but if it's just like a "you suck" kind of thing, then screw em I don't need that. I haven't gotten that kind of treatment in a long ass time tho. I don't need to try and prove em wrong and fill their ego knowing they got to me... unless I feel like I am really doing something stupid I guess then I will try for my own sake. The people who bring out the best in others are those who get on you if you aren't playing up to snuff, but that don't try to bring you down and also let you know when you did something well. Me personally, I just say simple things like "Man you can't let him do you like that... lock up" or "You have to put that in the cup man... get em next time"... ya know just simple things and in a calm demeanor. That is enough to motivate people without alienating them... cus people know when they did something wrong. The goal is to make sure they don't get down about it, but instead rise up and get to another level.

Kobe8 05-31-2010 12:43 PM

Re: Which to Trust?
 
Thanks Guys , I lHope , ill go to the philippines this summer.
I've Been trainin hard lately.

Ima Sticky this thread incase I forgot , what ya'll said.

Ima read it , all the time.

Appreciate it.

Wish the rep system was still "On"

NY-Knicks 05-31-2010 12:51 PM

Re: Which to Trust?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Well I don't know about you guys... but if someone yells at me in pickup I just think they are a joke. It depends how they yell tho... if I feel that is a solid meaning behind it then that's different, but if it's just like a "you suck" kind of thing, then screw em I don't need that. I haven't gotten that kind of treatment in a long ass time tho. I don't need to try and prove em wrong and fill their ego knowing they got to me... unless I feel like I am really doing something stupid I guess then I will try for my own sake. The people who bring out the best in others are those who get on you if you aren't playing up to snuff, but that don't try to bring you down and also let you know when you did something well. Me personally, I just say simple things like "Man you can't let him do you like that... lock up" or "You have to put that in the cup man... get em next time"... ya know just simple things and in a calm demeanor. That is enough to motivate people without alienating them... cus people know when they did something wrong. The goal is to make sure they don't get down about it, but instead rise up and get to another level.


yeah but what you are saying is more positive motivation. You make them feel like you believe in them and that they can do it. What some guys do is rude or just plain disrespectful. And they don't even deserve to say the things they say because they aren't really good players themselves.

Kobe8 05-31-2010 12:53 PM

Re: Which to Trust?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
yeah but what you are saying is more positive motivation. You make them feel like you believe in them and that they can do it. What some guys do is rude or just plain disrespectful. And they don't even deserve to say the things they say because they aren't really good players themselves.

Yeah , they are bunch of retards like that.
they just wanna be a dick wad

iamgine 05-31-2010 01:03 PM

Re: Which to Trust?
 
Whenever they make you have that queasy feeling in your stomach, you tell them "Shut your mouth, you talk too much."

Sticks 05-31-2010 01:08 PM

Re: Which to Trust?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamgine
Whenever they make you have that queasy feeling in your stomach, you tell them "Shut your mouth, you talk too much."


The best quote comes from a coach of mine who used it all the time to shut up players in huddles. "If you can still talk you're not playing hard enough".

Kobe8 05-31-2010 01:15 PM

Re: Which to Trust?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sticks
The best quote comes from a coach of mine who used it all the time to shut up players in huddles. "If you can still talk you're not playing hard enough".


OMG , THAT SHIZZ CRACKED ME UP!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Swaggin916 05-31-2010 01:34 PM

Re: Which to Trust?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
yeah but what you are saying is more positive motivation. You make them feel like you believe in them and that they can do it. What some guys do is rude or just plain disrespectful. And they don't even deserve to say the things they say because they aren't really good players themselves.


True. Nobody wants to be criticized... but some people need to be motivated to perform at their very best. People will perform better if they have someone on their team that they want to play hard for... someone that is going to hold them accountable, but not beat them up for their mistakes.

Quote:

The best quote comes from a coach of mine who used it all the time to shut up players in huddles. "If you can still talk you're not playing hard enough".

I like that one :lol

Kobe8 05-31-2010 01:45 PM

Re: Which to Trust?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggin916
True. Nobody wants to be criticized... but some people need to be motivated to perform at their very best. People will perform better if they have someone on their team that they want to play hard for... someone that is going to hold them accountable, but not beat them up for their mistakes.



I like that one :lol



Yeah feel , same way too.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy