Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What do you want to do on the court? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176367)

Sticks 05-31-2010 12:07 PM

What do you want to do on the court?

I'm interested in what people like to do on the court in games. Which role you like to play in games, what position, what's your style and things like that.

Personally I'm a wing-player all the way. I can't really battle in the post due to a lack of bulk and I have a hard time putting on weight and I'm not really sure wether I want to either. I'm a jump-shooter first and foremost, I can finish inside and can take the contact of inside play I just think the jumpshot is a beautifull move and I like to perfect it and use it a lot. I like playing from the triple threat because I have nice court-vision and can deliver on-point passes pretty well.

Mostly though I'm a scorer, I don't set up plays and I don't handle the ball a lot. I'm called on to score and I like to fill that role to the best of my abillity.

Other than scoring I love hustling, I dive for loose balls, I will go into the stands, I will chase down fast-breaks both offensively for the possible missed lay-up or defensively for a chase down-block. I'm a hard-nosed down and dirty defender and I'm not affraid to body up, hand-check from time to time and I will try to get under your skin. If you get angry I got you out of your game and I love it. I love to rebound as well, an offensive putback is one of my favourite ways to score and defensively I love to secure that ball and quickly look for the break or the outlet. It's part of finishing the defensive stand in my eyes.

TLDR: I love to shoot, defend and rebound. What's your game?

I Love You 05-31-2010 12:14 PM

Re: What do you want to do on the court?

I love to hustle, get rebounds and play hard nose defense. (Dennis rodman) Other than that, probably some post ups when playing pick up games shooting fadeaway and probably some catch and shoot as well. Favourite position is Centre, always been my favourite because I think it's much easier to score the ball and it would have been good to protect the rim, but my genes failed me so I'm sticking to the guard position. :lol

Swaggin916 05-31-2010 01:26 PM

What do i want to do on the court? Score whenever I want, make sweet dimes look routine, dunk over people...

What do I do on the court? Depends who I play with honestly... but about half the time I look to set a pick for someone whether it be a ball screen or off ball screen (I do both probably about the same amount). If I'm playing with someone who can penetrate, then I will spot up at the 3 point line and move around the perimeter accordingly. My specialty is shooting, and when you play by 1's and 2's... you might as well look to get open 2's so that's what I do. If someone comes out an me, then I put it on the floor and look to score. If the lane is clogged then I dish the rock to the open guy.

That is basically how I play... take the open 2 or drive and score/dish, set screens, and oh yea... if there is a smaller defender on me, I'll look to post him up and usually I can command a double team if I get the ball enough. I'm only 5'11 though so height wise it's never much of an advantage, but a lot of the times I will probably have at leat 20 pounds on someone. I have lost a lot of weight tho (I'm only 180 now), before I was like 195 and weighed much more than a lot of people and I looked to post more often... some of that weight was unnecessary fat tho so I needed to lose it.

One thing that I have added to my game is isolation scoring out of triple threat... but I haven't gotten many games in to practice it. If things seem to be going kind of stagnant, we aren't scoring, or people just need a break, I will look to get the ball in the high post, face up, and read my defender. If he's off me or his hand is down, I will shoot it immediately. If he's up on me, I will look to give him a jab and get him off balance... or I'll just drive right by him. If he's playing me straight up, then I will go to a series of fakes and if I don't seem to have him by the time I go, I will most likely turn and then post him up... much like Pau Gasol does if he doesn't get by him man from faceup. I also have a some spin moves tho for counters so I don't need to do that every time like he does.

carpevicis 05-31-2010 02:10 PM

My offensive game varies but my defensive one stays the same. I always play safe defense and usually try to guard the other teams best player that I can match up with. On offense, I can go from passive role player to first option, which is usually not what I like. I like to be the second option, preferably behind another guard who can advance the ball in case of traps.

I think I'm pretty well rounded, especially when I'm feeling my shot. I can play both safe and aggressive defense, can get some boards and an occasional block. When the shots good that's open and my slashings not bad.

My goal, however, is to become some kind of hybrid Brandon Roy/Monta Ellis who passes first. The midrange is where I love to shoot it, even when I don't feel it because it's where I'm most comfortable. So unselfish and balanced is where I want to be.

Venom 05-31-2010 07:03 PM

I usually rotate from playing forward and guard. I'm typically around the arc, scoping out open men or opportunities for a play. My favorite thing to do is scoring off of a turnover while the opposite team is scrambling to get back on defense.

On defense, I love guarding players at the 3 pt line or at the top of the key. It's rewarding to see the person you're guarding run out of offensive tactics and resort to chucking the ball or making a bad pass.

1manfastbreak 05-31-2010 09:01 PM

ima shooter baby took a long time to develop my shooters mentality but when i step in the gym im open and when i step on the court im in range.

Maize'N'Blue 06-03-2010 09:51 PM

A wing. I love to drive from the perimeter and take it to the hoop or pull up in mid-range. Not a good long range shooter, but can hit the open 3 and I'm a great shooter from 15ft and in. Decent ballhandler, but great passer. Also think I'm a pretty good defender, although that could just be because I'm the only one who tries on D.

devin112 06-03-2010 11:52 PM

good question, i have a hard time putting it all together.

when i'm in penetration mode, especially against a physical team, my set up jumper isn't as good.

when i'm in perimeter shooter mode, my penetration isn't great.

when i'm in post up mode, my perimeter shot isn't good.

anyone else have that prob?

Swaggin916 06-04-2010 12:57 AM

Can't say that I do... sometimes things work and sometimes they don't. Sometimes I won't make my shots... but I don't think it directly correlates with me being in a certain mode. I am a reactive player... so I just take what the D gives me or what I view as an advantage.

Lebron23 06-04-2010 12:42 PM

I am a slasher, But I am also improving my perimeter shooting.

NY-Knicks 06-04-2010 04:23 PM

:lol I post up people. I also love to rebound the basketball and get into the lane off the dribble, I prefer finishing with contact, just love that.

Oh, and I love it when people actually get me mad. When I get mad I get motivated and also agressive on offense. Somehow that basket looks a whole lot bigger to me from that point on. Doesn't happen very often though, and I might put up a lot of shots during those stretches but I absolutely love that.

JellyBean 06-04-2010 08:31 PM

I play the post. I am not a scorer. Although folks want me to score more, it just has never been my goal to score 20 pts. I am more of 3rd option on offense. They usually feed me the ball and I like to kick it out to a wing, usually my buddy who is lights out from 3-pt land.

I love to rebound, like Moses Malone back in the day. I like to get 10-12 rebounds a game, that is my style. On defense, I like to block 3 shots a game. Guard the best player. I usually guard the fastest player on the court as well.

AJ2k8 06-05-2010 11:12 AM

I tend to provide penetration for my team, just need to work on sharing the ball round once i've penetrated. Last season i was more of a forward who moved a lot off the ball, played alot behind the zone etc. so it's been an interesting transition to playing PG. I've got a decent pull up J and a hot and cold floater which i like to use but as i said i wanna work on sharing the rock a lil more.

This season when i'm not handling the ball i tend to camp on the weak side and create from there. Other than that i'll set the occasional screen or post up early in the offense if i can.

forensic91 06-05-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
:lol I post up people. I also love to rebound the basketball and get into the lane off the dribble, I prefer finishing with contact, just love that.

Oh, and I love it when people actually get me mad. When I get mad I get motivated and also agressive on offense. Somehow that basket looks a whole lot bigger to me from that point on. Doesn't happen very often though, and I might put up a lot of shots during those stretches but I absolutely love that.

Same with me... If I am not totally pissed off, I don't really play well, I don't know why...

Like if I play pick-up and there is a player who brags about being good or disses me its like I bring my game up..

HylianNightmare 06-05-2010 06:14 PM

Lock down the quickest player they have