Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Celtics Trying to Move Up in Draft? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179116)

hipballinjigga 06-22-2010 05:57 PM

Celtics Trying to Move Up in Draft?

Chad Ford's Latest Mock:

Quote:

So where does that leave Sacramento? I hear Cousins might have a slight lead over Monroe, but it's very close. However, more and more, a third option is emerging: Trading the pick. GM Geoff Petrie has zero history of trading down in the draft, but the Kings are actively exploring their options with so many teams pining to get their hands on Cousins -- everyone from Detroit to Boston has been looking at moving up.

Maybe the Celtics are looking for a package deal of Wallace (if he is retiring), #19, and a future first round pick for Garcia/Udrih and the 5th. Who would they draft?

33teeth 06-22-2010 06:10 PM

Re: Celtics Trying to Move Up in Draft?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipballinjigga
Maybe the Celtics are looking for a package deal of Wallace (if he is retiring), #19, and a future first round pick for Garcia/Udrih and the 5th. Who would they draft?

I'd hope for more coming to SAC if that were to go down. Wallace (retiring or not) doesn't help. I don't really see anyone on BOS that I'd give up the pick for (Pierce, KG, Ray and Rondo are obviously not options in SAC). Perk? Baby? Perhaps, but I doubt they'd give them up.

west 06-22-2010 06:12 PM

I think Perk is just as untouchable as the Big four, that's pretty much the only big body we have.

ProfessorMurder 06-22-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33teeth
I'd hope for more coming to SAC if that were to go down. Wallace (retiring or not) doesn't help. I don't really see anyone on BOS that I'd give up the pick for (Pierce, KG, Ray and Rondo are obviously not options in SAC). Perk? Baby? Perhaps, but I doubt they'd give them up.

Sheed has like 12 million coming off the books if he retires plus the 19th pick; in exchange for an earlier pick. That seems like a good deal.

Put Back Dunk 06-22-2010 06:18 PM

:lol I wish.

I don't think that's what Chad Ford's getting at. He's just saying that the Kings are considering trading the pick, and almost everyone outside the top 5 picks are looking to move up to get their guy including Detroit at #7 all the way down to Boston at #19, so it's a seller's market if they want to do that, BUT that doesn't mean the Celtics can/are able to/will trade for the Kings pick.

IF we do move up it would probably be just a few spots.

BlackWhiteGreen 06-22-2010 06:36 PM

Nocioni, Garcia & #5 for Ray Allen S&T, Big Baby & #19? :confusedshrug:

They get cap relief (assuming Ray is signed for, say, 2 years), we get a backup for Pierce, a starting/backup SG and probably Favors or Cousins.

Not happening but I like the scenario. Ray would be great next to Evans.

Put Back Dunk 06-22-2010 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
Nocioni, Garcia & #5 for Ray Allen S&T, Big Baby & #19? :confusedshrug:

Nocioni was traded along with Spencer Hawes for Samuel Dalembert within the last few days.

Also, we can't sign and trade anyone until free agency actually starts, I think it's July 7th, I know it's either a week or two weeks (used to be 2 weeks) after FA's can talk to teams starting on July 1st. So basically unless a player is under contract on draft night he's not getting traded.

BlackWhiteGreen 06-22-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Put Back Dunk
Nocioni was traded along with Spencer Hawes for Samuel Dalembert within the last few days.

Also, we can't sign and trade anyone until free agency actually starts, I think it's July 7th, I know it's either a week or two weeks (used to be 2 weeks) after FA's can talk to teams starting on July 1st. So basically unless a player is under contract on draft night he's not getting traded.

Oh, yeah. I just went on the trade machine.

Garcia, Thompson & #5

Sheed, Davis, future 1st & #19

MeLO MvP 15 06-22-2010 06:56 PM

I got shot down for saying JR Smith, future first for Garcia (and Udrih if they want to dump him too), #5...

brooks_thompson 06-22-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
Oh, yeah. I just went on the trade machine.

Garcia, Thompson & #5

Sheed, Davis, future 1st & #19

the sheed thing makes things very interesting. i didn't even consider the retirement boon he could provide to a trading partner.

33teeth 06-22-2010 07:47 PM

I don't think Sheed coming off the books would help the Kings that much. That's not really where they're hurting. Big ol' piles of cash still won't get good FA's to Sacramento. Maybe I'm wrong.

I personally wouldn't give up on JT quite yet. One more year. And I'd get him a sports psychologist first.

UConnCeltics 06-22-2010 08:04 PM

Well the Kings would pretty much get 6 mil in cap relief over the next two years with a future first which will likely be about a top 20 pick to move down 14 spots. Thats not bad, and they could probably talk their way into a player such as Glen Davis.