Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I don't know what to do . (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181563)

Maga_1 07-08-2010 12:18 AM

I don't know what to do .

Back to ISH, i couldn't post a lot here cause i had vacaciones .

So here's the deal.
I played well (i don't think i played very well this season) and in the off season some teams called me to play.
Two of the five teams that talked to me are national top 3 teams on pro level and they offered me nice money to play but if i went to one of them i have to change to that city.
In my team i don't get a lot of money and i'm in my hometown and this year i'll be the starter PG but if i went to the other i will get almost 4x more money, i'll compete for the tittle but i will not be the starter PG.

What would you do?

Swaggin916 07-08-2010 12:56 AM

Re: I don't know what to do .

I'd take the money. How many people get paid to do what they love? GO PLAY DUDE!

623baller 07-08-2010 02:30 AM

depends on where you want to be right?

if you are looking for playing time and a spotlight to shine then stay

if the other teams got talented and experienced PG and Veterans who can teach you the ropes then why not go to learn it and get financially sound at the same time

lots of other factors too, whether you fit in their style, organization...etc

you probably seen more than most of us, just follow your priorities and go with that

good luck!

NY-Knicks 07-08-2010 11:22 AM

what would be the amount of playing time you would get?
I would head to the competative teams, you get the money and the national recognition because you play on a contender and on top of that you win games, which gives you a great feeling. If you shine on a good team others might be more interested in your services. Are you much worse than their starting point guards? Because with hard work you might get the starting job.

It is your decision and I am very happy for you that you are in such a position. Do what your heart tells you, you must love basketball so fun is very important.

Spec5ial5k5 07-08-2010 12:03 PM

well me personally i wouldnt be able to handle comin off the bench i would feel like even if we won the title it wasnt my team so i didnt do much to help. I need to shine ya hear lol. It up to you though if you can deal with coming off the bench go for it

Maga_1 07-08-2010 12:29 PM

The two teams that are contenders are not very far away from here .. but if i went to one of them i surelly have to move to their city wich i think is not very difficult for me, cause i'll live with american guys that play here.

The first team got a decent PG (28 years old), a lil bit undersidez but with a "NBA" body .. i had to D' him and it wasn't very hard .. just when he played low post.
The second team have a good PG (27 years old), one of the top scorers, but he have a problem with fouls and loose his mind very quickly wich could be a very good thing to me to get some playing time.

You can't forget that i'm just 19, so it's normal that i don't have a lot playing time with my age (in Europe experience > potential).
This year i came out of bench in the early 2nd quarter and play like 15, almost 20 minutes in many games but i had games that barelly played cause i was tired of the under 20 competition.

DevDaAllstar 07-08-2010 03:53 PM

I say go for the money and experiance. Experience is the best teacher, being away from your hometown and learning from vets. Also learning what it takes to win and be successfully on a long term basis.

Maga_1 07-08-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevDaAllstar
I say go for the money and experiance. Experience is the best teacher, being away from your hometown and learning from vets. Also learning what it takes to win and be successfully on a long term basis.

I agree with you in most of the things, but what about the playing time? I want to play, really.

NY-Knicks 07-08-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maga_1
I agree with you in most of the things, but what about the playing time? I want to play, really.

that is a sure thing but don't you want to win? Playing will be much more fun when you win ballgames.

Maga_1 07-08-2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
that is a sure thing but don't you want to win? Playing will be much more fun when you win ballgames.

See my point.
Last year we lost in the conference semi finals, and the other 2 teams where the winner and runner up in the national league .
In my team this year i'll be without a doubt the starter, in other teams i don't know how i'll be.

DarkSephiroth 07-08-2010 07:23 PM

Honestly, it's ultimately your decision, but I would choose to stay.

From what you have said so far, I feel that you will have to decide for yourself what monetary value you place on playing time and your role on the team. A basketball player always wants to do the best they can, and if at the new club you can't do that, you may be frustrated.

Also, keep in mind that if you continue to be the starting point guard and excel where you are at currently, you might get a future offer from a club that will far exceed the offers you are getting right now.

I don't know too much about your financial situation, or if you're able to live comfortably on your current wages or if your family is well off enough that it doesn't really matter. You are very young, you have a lot of time to keep improving and making a name for yourself. Don't rush into a decision blinded by what seems to you as a large amount of money offered. You could regret it if you sign only for the money. Factor in all the external factors that will weigh in on your decision, then think about the money factor last. Ultimately, happiness is the most important aspect of your life, and basketball is a great way to achieve that. But if you aren't content with your role on the new team and you feel like you're going nowhere, you will not be able to reach your potential and you will not be happy.

Ultimately, it is your decision, but remember that money doesn't buy happiness. When you find a place where you are happy with your role and content with your situation AND you get a good amount of money, then you will know that's where you belong.

Maga_1 07-08-2010 07:31 PM

Hey DarkSephiroth, looked like what my father told me.. and i'm not being ironic.
I will have some meets with coachs and directors this week (and i will create a story like LeBron ahaha just kidding) to see the options that everyone offer to me.
I want to see i much i'll get paid to resigned with my team.

Timmy D for MVP 07-09-2010 03:52 AM

For me the best way to get better is to play against people who are better. Competition breeds skill otherwise the weak simply get dropped you know?

If you have an opportunity to get paid more, go to a bigger team, all while practicing with really good players I'd take that. Because you're young you may have more playing time down the road but the experience you'll get facing that competition in practice will be invaluable.

The only thing I see is that you'd be leaving home and such, but if that's not too big a deal then I say go for it.

iamgine 07-09-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maga_1
Back to ISH, i couldn't post a lot here cause i had vacaciones .

So here's the deal.
I played well (i don't think i played very well this season) and in the off season some teams called me to play.
Two of the five teams that talked to me are national top 3 teams on pro level and they offered me nice money to play but if i went to one of them i have to change to that city.
In my team i don't get a lot of money and i'm in my hometown and this year i'll be the starter PG but if i went to the other i will get almost 4x more money, i'll compete for the tittle but i will not be the starter PG.

What would you do?

Can we have solid numbers? Like...how much money are we talking about here.

I say go for the pro team. You can always come back if you don't like it there but you may never get the opportunity like this again.

DevDaAllstar 07-09-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
For me the best way to get better is to play against people who are better. Competition breeds skill otherwise the weak simply get dropped you know?

If you have an opportunity to get paid more, go to a bigger team, all while practicing with really good players I'd take that. Because you're young you may have more playing time down the road but the experience you'll get facing that competition in practice will be invaluable.

The only thing I see is that you'd be leaving home and such, but if that's not too big a deal then I say go for it.

^^See this is the point I'm trying to make. You can fight for more playing time.