Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Douchebags on the court. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182952)

a rock 07-11-2010 11:03 PM

Douchebags on the court.

I decided to create this thread due to some stupid shit that happened today at the gym. Basically, tell your story of dumbasses in your pickup games that handle themselves terribly, and how you dealt with it.

I was playing today, note that I am 15. So this guy walks in whos like 50 (give or take a few years, he had all grey hair is all I know)... and we start playing. So I am playing pretty basic D on him, hands out, keep one hand on your man at all times. Not grabbing jersey or pushing at all. I come up the floor, and he ****ing bear hugs me. Ofcourse I don't call a foul, but the dude was being pretty agresive. After a few minutes, I am guarding him, he elbows me in the ribs and says "KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF ME", approaches me like he is all ready to fight and shit. Hes yelling at me so my team pulls that fool back. I told him it was my bad, and then he started nagging some more. I switched men to avoid a conflict.

I really didn't do shit though. I laugh that he tried to start something.

Anyway, whats your stories/advice when it comes to these guys?

Swaggin916 07-12-2010 03:12 AM

Re: Douchebags on the court.

try to stay cool and walk away like you did. If someone has a problem... let them take it out on someone else don't try to be a hardass. Of course... there are times when someone will do something that triggers your "Oh **** this shit" sensor and then who knows what will happen :lol

devin112 07-12-2010 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a rock
I decided to create this thread due to some stupid shit that happened today at the gym. Basically, tell your story of dumbasses in your pickup games that handle themselves terribly, and how you dealt with it.

I was playing today, note that I am 15. So this guy walks in whos like 50 (give or take a few years, he had all grey hair is all I know)... and we start playing. So I am playing pretty basic D on him, hands out, keep one hand on your man at all times. Not grabbing jersey or pushing at all. I come up the floor, and he ****ing bear hugs me. Ofcourse I don't call a foul, but the dude was being pretty agresive. After a few minutes, I am guarding him, he elbows me in the ribs and says "KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF ME", approaches me like he is all ready to fight and shit. Hes yelling at me so my team pulls that fool back. I told him it was my bad, and then he started nagging some more. I switched men to avoid a conflict.

I really didn't do shit though. I laugh that he tried to start something.

Anyway, whats your stories/advice when it comes to these guys?

dude sounds like a d-bag. i hope you schooled him. one thing tho, who said you're supposed to keep one hand on your man at all times? You might have been hand checking him and that's illegal.

http://www.nba.com/features/stujacks...on_070503.html

Can you explain what went into the hand-check rule and break that down how it’s been successful thus far?

SJ: The hand check has always been a part of pro basketball. What we have done is interpret the hand check slightly different in that, if a defender has what I’ll refer to as a “stayed hand” on the defender, e.g. with a stiffened elbow, a foul on the defense would be called if it affects the offensive player's speed, rhythm or balance. It's been five years since we really began to interpret the hand check in this way, and we continue to focus on enforcement.
Three years ago, before the ’04-05 season, we also began to really interpret and enforce the forearm and body check, where by we had defenders either placing a hand or a forearm on an offensive player’s shoulder or hip in an effort to slow them down and give them a defensive advantage in terms of sliding in front of the offensive player. When we disallowed that – the use of the hand, the use of the forearm to the shoulder, the hip, the body – that in conjunction with the hand check interpretation started to give offensive players on the perimeter more offensive freedom.

a rock 07-12-2010 06:33 AM

Yeah I may have been, but there are better ways to handle it. I didn't have my hand on the guy in anyway that was doing anything they call a foul on. Honestly, the guy got mad when I stole the ball from him because he blew a pass and he called a foul cause I "pushed off him". ****ing joke. The dude ended up looking like a dick, and some dudes told me that he might not be mentally stable and shit.

Same game I put some dude in a headlock kindof on a foul. I help the guy up and apologize, he goes "it's all good, good foul kid" but I handcheck some old ass and he gets all pissed.

JtotheIzzo 07-12-2010 08:01 AM

sounds like a 24 hour fitness story.

I think a simple 'f*ck off and play ball old man' next time he whines might work, hit him where it hurts, but guys in the 40-50 year old age group are a different breed. they are all kind of dlckheads.

if your game is tight then people will have your back, most people in pick up want the level to be as high as possible and the game to be fun, so anyone who is moving away from that will lose the support of the masses.

NY-Knicks 07-12-2010 08:37 AM

he really sounds like an asshole. You did the right thing by walking away because there is something wrong with him if he is getting mad at a 'kid' for handchecking.

I didn't have something that bad, just guys who blame me for taking bad shots and overreacting. One guy in particular who always wants to run offenses and when you don't do it he starts yelling and screaming and sh-t. But then all of the sudden he starts isolation and throwing up bricks. I absolutely hate it when he is on my team.

Oh, and my coach on another team doesn't want me playing in the post.
I play against guys who are often smaller than 6'0 (I'm 6'3) and I basically play like Carmelo when I don't play the point. I like the high post but mostly post up situations. Most of my points in practice and during pick up games come from the paint. I also play with my coach in another team and I always kill him in the post but he still won't allow me to get catches there. Don't know why but he lets some other guy (his brother) make weird isolations and shoot bad shots all day. Too bad though.

JellyBean 07-12-2010 10:57 AM

As a 41 year old "dickhead", jeez. Thanks, JtotheIzzo. Nice putting all 40-50 year guys in one category. :oldlol: Just playing.

I agree with Swaggin916. Just be cool and walk away. He was probably playing mindgames with you. Trying to shake your confidence. You did the right thing, just switch up and play on.

We have a bunch of young guys that do that same silly crap. So it is universal. I just play my game and not worry about all the noise. If it gets too bad. I just walk off the court and let someone else get my spot. It just aint that serious.

Swaggin916 07-12-2010 02:05 PM

I don't think he was handchecking him... the way it's explained is that if you have an extended elbow or are obviously throwing them off balance/preventing movement, then it's a handcheck. I bet he just had a hand lightly on him so he could feel where he was. I do that from time to time and I always see people doing that.

devin112 07-12-2010 03:29 PM

Swag, the extended hand was just an example (e.g.)

Quote:

a foul on the defense would be called if it affects the offensive player's speed, rhythm or balance.... in an effort to slow them down and give them a defensive advantage in terms of sliding in front of the offensive player.

I don't know why, but I get this a lot. Dudes will have a hand on my hip just touching but as soon as I make a move they use that hand to slow me down, it might be reactionary you know? Probably not doing it intentionally, but when they have the hand there anyway they probably can't help themselves. I usually slap their hands away but sometimes they'll complain about that.

I don't condone what the oldster did, **** him. I hope the young fella schooled his ass. But for me, I know it's annoying to have some dudes hand on my hip throughout the game.

forensic91 07-12-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I don't think he was handchecking him... the way it's explained is that if you have an extended elbow or are obviously throwing them off balance/preventing movement, then it's a handcheck. I bet he just had a hand lightly on him so he could feel where he was. I do that from time to time and I always see people doing that.

EVEN if it 'was' handhecking? Since WHEN do you call a handcheck in pick-up basketball I mean come on? This isn't nba?
I rarely call fouls unless they are really bad fouls and result in a missed basket or a turnover in pick-up.

And anyways, that is no way to react unless you hard-fouled him.

devin112 07-12-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forensic91
EVEN if it 'was' handhecking? Since WHEN do you call a handcheck in pick-up basketball I mean come on? This isn't nba?
I rarely call fouls unless they are really bad fouls and result in a missed basket or a turnover in pick-up.

And anyways, that is no way to react unless you hard-fouled him.

if you did that to me, I wouldn't call it. I'd just slap your hand away. No one agrees w/ what that oldster did to op. I was explaining what the old guy meant when he told op to get his hands off of him.

a rock 07-12-2010 06:48 PM

Yeah. I mean, it was weird. After we switched, I hit a 17 footer jumper with his son playing me tight on D. I was satisfied.

Anyway, tell your stories everyone. I don't wanna be the only one. haha.

devin112 07-12-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a rock
Yeah. I mean, it was weird. After we switched, I hit a 17 footer jumper with his son playing me tight on D. I was satisfied.

Anyway, tell your stories everyone. I don't wanna be the only one. haha.

I'm glad you got yours, I on your side. I hate it when older people pick on kids. That shiz happened to me all the time when I young, but now that I'm grown magically those types of dudes don't try shiz. Keep practicing and show them whats up.

I used to get low bridged a lot, that was the extent of it.

a rock 07-12-2010 08:48 PM

Yeah... Strangest thing is, that even though I am a kid, I am 6'0, so I am never the shortest one on the court. Lot of the guys who pick shit with me are shorter or the same size.

Shadow Zujed 07-12-2010 09:19 PM

I don't usually have a problem at my courts with people flipping out. But I DO hate it when douchebags ask to play a game and then tell me they have never played before and just come here to screw around. Then right after proceed to do something that just shows they play all of the time.

My and my cousins and brother who I go with to find games usually back off a little when they say this, and then they either drive through all of us or shoot some massive fadeaway three.

Look, I don't care whether you are good or bad, you can play with us. But don't give me that bullshit that you have never played and then make some crazy shot. They do it so we back off and they can get the first point for a lead. We still beat them, but saying that for a cheap point is garbage.

We had some asshole do that today when we went. I saw him shooting when we walked in, so I should have known he was a least decent. Then he came up and wanted a game. He said he has never played before. So we backed off and he starts driving and crap with reverse layups. After that I got pissed and was all over him, I blocked a shot which is never happens with me as I am fairly short for 18 in two days. We were in the post fouling like crazy. It was sad really.

Ugh, my rant for today. I hate people that lie to get a couple of cheap points. Next time someone does this, I'm just going to tell them to leave us alone and to not ask us to play anymore. Lying isn't a good way to get friends or respect.