Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Respect (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183665)

carpevicis 07-15-2010 08:25 PM

Respect

What's up with people respecting and being respectful these days? It seems like the only people who disrespect me are the ones closest to me, aka my family. My immediate family is always telling me what I can't do and trying to force me to do stuff but all my friends and the people I meet are very encouraging and honest. But my immediate family, including my parents, all they do is tell me to "be realistic" yet they critique and always talk about what I do to their relatives.

Why's it like that? I don't get it. I don't care about what they have to say but to be honest, why do they bother saying it if I don't want to hear it?

devin112 07-15-2010 08:36 PM

Re: Respect

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpevicis
What's up with people respecting and being respectful these days? It seems like the only people who disrespect me are the ones closest to me, aka my family. My immediate family is always telling me what I can't do and trying to force me to do stuff but all my friends and the people I meet are very encouraging and honest. But my immediate family, including my parents, all they do is tell me to "be realistic" yet they critique and always talk about what I do to their relatives.

Why's it like that? I don't get it. I don't care about what they have to say but to be honest, why do they bother saying it if I don't want to hear it?

Friends feel pressure to be nice, strangers don't want to be rude. Trust your blood, if it's only one or two people then maybe they're off, but if most of ur blood can't be wrong.

carpevicis 07-15-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devin112
Friends feel pressure to be nice, strangers don't want to be rude. Trust your blood, if it's only one or two people then maybe they're off, but if most of ur blood can't be wrong.

Yeah I get what you mean about other people, but it isn't most of my blood. It's only my immediate family. They're always up to something and I'm not trying to complain or anything, but it seems like they don't ever have anything positive to say. I mean it's kind of obvious that if I can't do something, I would've given it some thought before I tried to do it.

It's like always something different every time. It can go from a decent report card to something random like me not speaking a foreign language well. I mean, yeah I get that, I don't speak it well, you don't have to point it out? I sound sensitive but trust me if you've had other people going around constantly nitpicking what you don't do so well, it kind of gets bothering after a while.

Nice avatar btw.

devin112 07-15-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Yeah I get what you mean about other people, but it isn't most of my blood. It's only my immediate family. They're always up to something and I'm not trying to complain or anything, but it seems like they don't ever have anything positive to say. I mean it's kind of obvious that if I can't do something, I would've given it some thought before I tried to do it.

It's like always something different every time. It can go from a decent report card to something random like me not speaking a foreign language well. I mean, yeah I get that, I don't speak it well, you don't have to point it out? I sound sensitive but trust me if you've had other people going around constantly nitpicking what you don't do so well, it kind of gets bothering after a while.

Nice avatar btw.

I feel you, they're fam so they should be supportive- constructive criticism and positivity. My fam could do better in that regard too.

thanks about avy

Swaggin916 07-15-2010 10:46 PM

Well from my experience, there are basically 3 kinds of people in this world.

Person A: Totally positive/you can do anything you set your mind to attitude. Very encouraging.

Person B: Pessimistic. These people are realists and look at the grand scheme of things. If you are a 5'6 white guy whose dream is to make it the NBA... they will tell you "Yea right... you have to be kidding me."

Person C: A whatever attitude. They don't really feel one way or the other about things and generally don't offer a lot of insight.

I tend to lean towards the pessimistic side cus most people quite frankly just aren't talented enough to do the things they want. I got a buddy (well no really... more of an acquaintance) who wants to be a rapper.. and he thinks he is the shit. He always asks for my opinion tho cus I won't tell him what he wants to here... I just tell him what I think. "You are a white guy who doesn't have a good voice for rapping... the odds are stacked massively against you making it big." Is basically what I tell him. I know this guy isn't working as hard as he should too.. and that's another main thing. Most people just don't work hard enough. I feel like if you are working as hard as you can, you will make it on some level. Maybe that 5'6 guy makes it as a coach instead... or maybe he does end up playing but in Australia or something and makes a decent living. Maybe my white rapper friend ends up being a song writer (well lyrics at least) or a ends up being a producer because he got in with the business and found that he liked making beats.

Don't worry about what people say if it doesn't directly effect what you are trying to do. Simply saying "You can" or "You can't" doesn't mean anything... Listen to the people whose comments are constructive... doesn't matter if they are positive or negative.... but especially listen to the negative ones and be a realist... if they make sense, then admit it and work on it... if they are just hating... then screw em.

Hard work opens doors tho man... perseverance and dedication is what makes somebody successful plain and simple. Just don't be stuck on one thing, cus all kinds of opportunity are going to present themselves.

Maga_1 07-16-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Hard work opens doors tho man... perseverance and dedication is what makes somebody successful plain and simple. Just don't be stuck on one thing, cus all kinds of opportunity are going to present themselves.

I enjoyed a lot read this.
Nice one bro.

Swaggin916 07-16-2010 02:11 PM

I'm glad you enjoyed it ha.

1manfastbreak 07-16-2010 05:59 PM

i try not to surround myself by pessimistic people, all they come with is negativity and zero insight. they only look at why things wont work and not what you can do to make things happen. they just look at situations differently..

carpevicis 07-17-2010 09:46 PM

Optimistic people are encouraging, pessimistic people are motivating. I guess everyone needs both in their life but to be honest, pessimistic people need to get out of here.

People who are whatever are pretty cool most of the time.

DevDaAllstar 07-20-2010 01:33 PM

One of my best friends is a “whatever” kind of person. He’s smart, talented, handsome (no homo) but he works a dead end job, goes home smokes weed and plays video games each and everyday. Life is passing him by because he just doesn’t care about anything. The point is whether you listen to the realist or optimists keep that drive in your heart to accomplish whatever goal you set out to do.

Saintsfan1992 07-20-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevDaAllstar
One of my best friends is a “whatever” kind of person. He’s smart, talented, handsome (no homo) but he works a dead end job, goes home smokes weed and plays video games each and everyday. Life is passing him by because he just doesn’t care about anything. The point is whether you listen to the realist or optimists keep that drive in your heart to accomplish whatever goal you set out to do.

omfg i am like ur friend except the dead end job and the smoke weed
part oh and the play video games all day part

weed=occasionally

Swaggin916 07-20-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintsfan1992

weed=occasionally

So how are you anything like his friend?

There are quite a few people who are perfectly content with working a 9-5 and then coming home and smoking weed. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I understand it... cus I don't at all... but hey at least they are at peace.

DevDaAllstar 07-20-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintsfan1992

weed=occasionally

So, you have all the postive attributes of my friend and none of the negative LOL

My whole point is don't get complacent, thats all

carpevicis 07-20-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggin916
So how are you anything like his friend?

There are quite a few people who are perfectly content with working a 9-5 and then coming home and smoking weed. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I understand it... cus I don't at all... but hey at least they are at peace.

Basically he's saying he's smart, talented and handsome.

Swaggin916 07-20-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Basically he's saying he's smart, talented and handsome.

forgot about that part by the time I got to the end (must be the ADHD everyone's talking about :lol )