Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Top 3 Favorite NFL Players of All-Time and Why? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184060)

Posterize246 07-18-2010 11:13 PM

Top 3 Favorite NFL Players of All-Time and Why?

3. Brian Westbrook

Little trivia you might not know about Brian: He's the all-time leader in all-purpose yards for college football. Also that he ran a 4.57 40 at his combine. Look at the juke moves in this play. He was never considered one of the best runners but might have been the most feared RB in his prime because of how he could beat you with the home run play either from the backfield, on a screen, or as a wideout. It's a shame that his career may be at an end now. Brian will always be loved because he simply was electric.

2. Priest Holmes

When I first started getting into football outside of my own team (remember I'm not yet 21 years old), Priest was the man. He had back to back years of 20+ rushing TD's (21, 27) and set the rush TD record, which has since been broken twice. When guys tried to grab him it was almost like he was a greased up pig that you just couldn't get a hold of. My favorite part of his game was when he would dive over the pile into the end zone, but the hits he took on those plays probably didn't help him body and injury-wise. Plus he had a really cool name.

1. Brian Dawkins

In my lifetime, there have been 4 Philadelphia athletes who I can say represented the city personality wise and just seemed like "one of us"; Bernard Hopkins who really is from here, Chase Utley, Allen Iverson, and Brian Dawkins. The hard work and dedication that was put into every game, the passion, the desire to win...he was everything you could want in a football player. If you've never seen it, this is a great video to let you into who he is as a person. The way he is off the field is almost the complete opposite of what he is on it. He's never afraid to show his emotions. I remember the first time I saw him cry was in an interview with Derrick Gunn, somewhere around '06, where the possibility of him retiring came up. He couldn't even speak about leaving the game. This is also a good video to watch. "He's faith driven and likes to hit people really hard." -love that line.

Hallelujah!!!
Give me everything you dog-on got!

-playmaker- 07-19-2010 01:13 AM

Re: Top 3 Favorite NFL Players of All-Time and Why?

ALL-TIME

3. DeMarcus Ware

He IS the greatest pass rushing LB in the history of the NFL and that includes Lawrence Taylor...:eek:

yep I said it...

Ware is 6'4"...265 lbs

Taylor was 6'3"...235 lbs...and likely slower than Ware although I am not positive on that

Ware has many more sacks that Taylor did at this point in Taylor's career...

he WILL retire a HOFer and known as the greatest OLB EVER....I repeat...EVER

2. Michael Irvin

do I really need to explain why I love him...???

the playmaker!...what a treat that was...what an intense player he was...

1. Duh

most exciting player the NFL has ever seen hands down...

greatest highlight reel of any athlete hands down...

the most accomplished professional athlete in the history of sports IMO...if we are to look at his entire portfolio, no one can match it...

there will never be another primetime...greatest ever

I need to think of my top 3 "non-cowboys" though...cause those are too obvious...

Jackass18 07-19-2010 07:15 AM

I'll do it without including any Redskins. I grew up in the '80s, so they're going to be players from the '80s.

3. Jerry Rice

Quite simply, Rice was the man. He could take a little slant pass and turn it into an 80-yard TD reception. He had the hands, work ethic, route running, etc... He made playing WR look easy.

2. Ronnie Lott

He was tough as hell, hit like a freight train full of TNT, was great in coverage and was just a nightmare to play against.

1. Eric Dickerson

He was just awesome from his galloping runs to his goggles to his jheri curl.

Skywalker 07-19-2010 11:17 AM

THE GOAT, Brett Favre. Who else can do what he's doing? Nobody. The slinger mentality is my preferred for a QB too, and he's the top SLINGER ever.

DA BOSS. 18 TDs as a rookie nuff said. Has anyone ever had even equal combo of speed, hands, and vertical? doubt it, and he's still going, still producing. If he never went to Oakland he would have been the GOAT WR, he still may be.

Already my fav and still probably 4 more years of him on top of his game. AD.

MK2V1GP 07-19-2010 11:44 AM

Even though he consistently torched my guys, I loved watching Barry Sanders play. To me, he was the greatest RUNNING back in history. He may not have been the most complete RB, but when the QB handed the ball off to him, he was the greatest coming out of the backfield.

He was one of the most feared safeties during his prime. He could do it all - punish any RB in the NFL, and was a great centerfielder in the defensive secondary. I can't even count the number of clutch ints, passes defensed, tackles he made during his time in Tampa.

No, he's not one of the greatest players of all time, and he played one of the least popular/relevant positions, but I loved this guy. He was a true beast. My biggest complaint about anything NFL-related was that this guy didnt get enough carries. He absolutely punished his opponents. He had a huge heart and never gave up. He is easily one of the top 5 short yardage backs in NFL history. He symbolized what the Buccaneers were during the late 90's-early 00's.

Posterize246 07-19-2010 02:09 PM

hate Alstott

MK2V1GP 07-19-2010 03:42 PM

Why?

Jackass18 07-19-2010 03:59 PM

Hmmm, I forget Roger Craig somehow. I'll do it for the '90s, too:

3. Marshall Faulk

2. Brett Favre

1. Ahman Green

Posterize246 07-19-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
Why?

his neck roll always pissed me off

MK2V1GP 07-19-2010 04:23 PM

Lol. What a weak reason haha. ;) He was a beast. He needed that neck roll with his bruising style of running.

So do you hate all players that wear neck rolls/pads?

-playmaker- 07-19-2010 05:06 PM

favorite Non-Cowboys

3. Sam Bradford
2. Tommie Harris
1. Adrian Peterson

:D

favorite Non-Cowboy/Non-Sooner

3. Icky Woods
2. Bo Jackson
1. Jim Brown

baseketball4life 07-19-2010 06:19 PM

1. Terrell Davis

He was the first, I must have been 9 or 10 at the time, when Terrell Davis and the Broncos became my favorite team. I'd watch all there games because of him and would immitate his cuts and salute, I had his jersey (my first ever NFL jersey) and wore it to school atleast once a week. TD30, short lived prime so sad, but love the guy.

2. Randy Moss

He was the 2nd player I was obsessed with, Cunningham to Moss he took the NFL by storm and was a joy to watch and still is, he'd make me want to be the wide receiver in the two touch football games at lunch in elementary and middle school. Gotta love how he's still getting it done.

3. Jay Cutler

Welcome to new school, big arm, talks the talk walks the walk. Love his swag and cockiness not to mention that rocket arm. He'll hit the WR he wants even if it means stuffin' the ball into a triple team. Prototypical gunslinger. His strut is sick too, fans of Cutler will know what I'm talking about (he struts with his legs spread as if to leave his weiner dangling for everyone to suc*k on LMAO)

Honorable Mentions: Brandon Marshall, Larry Johnson, Adrian All Day Peterson, Kellen Winslow (anyone who went to the U for that matter). Reggie Bush, Caddilac Williams, Matt Forte. Many more.

Jailblazers7 07-19-2010 07:43 PM

3. Jerry Rice

I absolutely idolized him growing up and its not like I'm a Niners fan or anything. I would drop everything to watch Jerry play on Sundays when I was little. Used to wear my #80 jersey playing backyard football all the time.

2. Troy Polamalu

He's a Steeler and I can't get enough of the way he plays. All over the places making tackles, sacks, ints, forcing fumbles. Dude is a beast. I remember being at a game 3 or 4 years ago when he picked off Carson Palmer and then ran through the Bengals team and then through Carson at the goaline for a TD. One of my favorite live sports moments.

1. Hines Ward

I love his production but the way he plays the game. Dishes out and takes hits with a smile on his face. You can tell he just loves football. He is legendary in Pittsburgh wether it be for TDs or decapitating Ed Reed and Keith Rivers.

Posterize246 07-19-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
Lol. What a weak reason haha. ;) He was a beast. He needed that neck roll with his bruising style of running.

So do you hate all players that wear neck rolls/pads?

Nope Leonard Weaver looks very stylish when he rocks the neck roll.

Never thought I'd see Jay Cutler as a top 3 favorite player of all time. :oldlol:

Snoop_Cat 07-19-2010 10:48 PM

1. Lawrence Taylor (even after rape allegations) - Simply beast, talent level is unmatched

2. Ed Reed - Huge fan of his heart and dedication to the game; Miami speech

3. LaDainian Tomlinson - Best RB I've personally seen. TD Machine

I only became a football fan during the 00's so apart from the NY teams, my knowledge of outside players are limited.