Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   My Big Money Team (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188861)

Stinky Dog 08-30-2010 11:29 AM

My Big Money Team

QB - Aaron Rodgers
WR - Calvin Johnson
WR - Steve Smith (Car)
WR - Wes Welker
RB - Reggie Bush
RB - Ladainian Tomlinson
TE - Jermichael Finley
FLEX (WR/RB/TE) - Mike Wallace
K - Mason Crosby

IDPs
DL - Tamba Hali
LB - Paul Posluszny
DB - Yermiah Bell

Bench:

Montario Hardesty
Darren Mcfadden
Darren Sproles
Legadu Naannee
Sammy Morris
Bernard Scott
Matthew Stafford

Yes I realize I'm very thin at RB. I more than make up for it at QB/WR/TE. This is a PPR league and QB TD's are worth 6 here, making Rodgers arguably the most valuable player in fantasy land, IMO. If none of my RB's pan out, I'm very confident I can find a RB via the waiver wire that can produce RB2 numbers. In a format where you need to only play two RB's, and can play a maximum of 4 WR's there so much more value in drafting WR's while everyone is snatching up RB's. Very pleased with my results.

baseketball4life 08-30-2010 12:30 PM

Re: My Big Money Team

this is PPR i'm assuming

big fan of the QB/WRs you got going there. big fan of reggie bush this year, career year is a possibility with the way he's looking so far and the workload increase he's going to see. Finley is atleast a top 2 fantasy TE with Gates those two in their own class going to be interesting to see who finishes #1. Mike Wallace is a stud I just hope he isn't hurt too much by big ben being out 4-5 games. DMC has a real shot at something this year, he's probably going to start and be featured week 1 with bush out with the broken thumb most likely, DMC has looked explosive and electric in practice sessions according to all accounts but it remains to be seen if he can get past his biggest issues which are injury related (super prone) if he can play 16 games expect a breakout year. Hardesty good pick to, harrison playing his way out of a role for CLE sans maybe change of pace. LT has looked good quite frankly between LT2, DMC, Hardesty you should have one stand out week to week on who you're going to play next to Bush who when healthy is a weekly play here. So I think your RB is most likely fine, only other concern might be Welker's knee I know he's healthy now but IDK how long that will last because he returned so fast.

tian820 08-30-2010 12:48 PM

That's a pretty good team all things considered. The IDP scoring obviously has some factor, but when you only run 3 of them, you can always make pick ups during the season to adapt at those positions. Getting Welker as your WR3 in a PPR league? Pretty ridiculous

Stinky Dog 08-30-2010 01:22 PM

Thanks for your analysis guys. I'm pretty confident that I have on paper the best team in the league. As far as value is concerned I maximized that for the most part. With a little bit of luck (like any year), I should take it down and become the first defending champion in my leagues history.

Want to see the worst team?

QB - Peyton Manning
WR - Desean Jackson
WR - Chad Ochocinco
WR - Dez Bryant
RB - Cedric Benson
RB - Ronnie Brown
TE - Owen Daniels
FLEX - Kenny Britt

Bench:

Demaryius Thomas (7th round pick)
Austin Collie
Dexter McCluster
Kevin Walter
Anthony Gonzalez
Matt Ryan
Larry Johnson
Golden Tate
Tim Tebow (lol)
Marshawn Lynch
Kevin Boss

baseketball4life 08-30-2010 01:53 PM

that team is horrific lol. daniels will do next to nothing this year IMO. britt same thing. dez wont have a big fantasy impact if at all, worthless imo... ocho i dont like either. desean is good so is peyton and benson but PPR hurts benson. ronnie so prone ugly team

Riddler 08-30-2010 01:56 PM

I'd like to argue that your WRs could possibly struggle at times.

We all agree that Detroit is going to be better this year, but that O-line in Detroit is still horrible. Calvin Johnson might not be the elite wideout that many people suspect he will be this year.

Steve Smith has Matt Moore throwing him the ball... he could have just an average year.

and Wes Welker is coming off a horrific injury.

I do like Mike Wallace... however he will be without Big Ben the first six games.

Stinky Dog 08-30-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddler
I'd like to argue that your WRs could possibly struggle at times.

We all agree that Detroit is going to be better this year, but that O-line in Detroit is still horrible. Calvin Johnson might not be the elite wideout that many people suspect he will be this year.

Steve Smith has Matt Moore throwing him the ball... he could have just an average year.

and Wes Welker is coming off a horrific injury.

I do like Mike Wallace... however he will be without Big Ben the first six games.

Fair points I suppose but Calvin Johnson is the real deal. If he stays healthy he's an elite player and could be the best WR in the game. Stafford is taking a step forward and they've definitely looked the part in the preseason. With the addition of Best, Burleson, and Scheffler their offense will be a lot more dangerous and it will allow Calvin to see less triple teams.

Moore and Smith looked good together last year. He definitely appears to be an upgrade over Delhomme. Smith still managed 1,000 and 7 in 15 games last year. In the 4 games that Moore and Smith played together, Smith's numbers were 19 catches, 378 yards, and 3 touchdowns. Over 16 games that plays out to be 76 catches, 1524 yards, and 12 touchdowns. While I don't quite anticipate that sort of production I think 70 catches, 1100 yards, and 7 touchdowns is his floor and he has tremendous value as a top 10 WR, low end WR1 with upside.

Welker is a bit of a gamble but when that guy is on the field he is simply as good as anyone in PPR. He's looked great in the preseason but he's still a huge gamble but honestly if anyone can do it (come back from an injury), it's him. That is probably my favorite player in football.

Jailblazers7 08-30-2010 02:21 PM

I like the team. Rodgers could be the top fantasy performer even without the 6 points per TD and LT/Reggie provide more value in a PPR league (Reggie has looked great in preseason too). Hardesty could end up being the starter soon and Bernard Scott is a great option if Benson goes down (which isnt unthinkable at all). Welker is a PPR god even if he's coming off the knee injury and Calvin/SS are also very good WRs.

jazz873 08-30-2010 02:23 PM

How many teams?

Riddler 08-30-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinky Dog
Fair points I suppose but Calvin Johnson is the real deal. If he stays healthy he's an elite player and could be the best WR in the game. Stafford is taking a step forward and they've definitely looked the part in the preseason. With the addition of Best, Burleson, and Scheffler their offense will be a lot more dangerous and it will allow Calvin to see less triple teams.

Moore and Smith looked good together last year. He definitely appears to be an upgrade over Delhomme. Smith still managed 1,000 and 7 in 15 games last year. In the 4 games that Moore and Smith played together, Smith's numbers were 19 catches, 378 yards, and 3 touchdowns. Over 16 games that plays out to be 76 catches, 1524 yards, and 12 touchdowns. While I don't quite anticipate that sort of production I think 70 catches, 1100 yards, and 7 touchdowns is his floor and he has tremendous value as a top 10 WR, low end WR1 with upside.

Welker is a bit of a gamble but when that guy is on the field he is simply as good as anyone in PPR. He's looked great in the preseason but he's still a huge gamble but honestly if anyone can do it (come back from an injury), it's him. That is probably my favorite player in football.

It just seems to me that you could of gotten more of a sure thing at the RB spot instead of drafting Calvin Johnson.

You have to remember that Calvin will be going up against the Green Bay and Minnesota Defense 4 times this year.

It just seems like you sacrificed too much at the RB spot to grab Johnson. You could of picked up a solid #2 WR in the later rounds who's production won't be that much of downgrade from Calvin's... where as Reggie Bush and LT's production could be a tremendous downgrade from whoever you could of taken instead.

I guess I'm just wondering what RB's were still available when you selected Calvin?

Riddler 08-30-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazz873
How many teams?

No $hit... what is this like a 20 team league?

Stinky Dog 08-30-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddler
It just seems to me that you could of gotten more of a sure thing at the RB spot instead of drafting Calvin Johnson.

You have to remember that Calvin will be going up against the Green Bay and Minnesota Defense 4 times this year.

It just seems like you sacrificed too much at the RB spot to grab Johnson. You could of picked up a solid #2 WR in the later rounds who's production won't be that much of downgrade from Calvin's... where as Reggie Bush and LT's production could be a tremendous downgrade from whoever you could of taken instead.
I guess I'm just wondering what RB's were still available when you selected Calvin?

12 team league.

I picked Calvin Johnson at pick 17. By pick seventeen, 11 RB's were already after the board. I rate Calvin Johnson as the best #3 WR and think he with his upside he can easily be the top WR in fantasy land by the end of the year.

As far as value is concerned it was a great pick. If you looking at PPR adp, again, it was a great pick.

There is so much more value at WR in the league that I play in. Being able to start 4 and only having to play 2 RBs really puts an emphasis on having 3-4 elite guys. This is strategy I employed last year and ultimately won the league. In the first 3 rounds, virtually everyone is going RB, RB, (RB/QB/WR).

In the past Rodgers has played very well against GB and Minnesota. It's not the same thing as a RB playing in the AFC North or NFC North. Calvin Johnson is pretty much match up proof as anyone can be.

-playmaker- 08-30-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your analysis guys. I'm pretty confident that I have on paper the best team in the league. As far as value is concerned I maximized that for the most part. With a little bit of luck (like any year), I should take it down and become the first defending champion in my leagues history.

QB - Peyton Manning
WR - Desean Jackson
WR - Chad Ochocinco
WR - Dez Bryant
RB - Cedric Benson
RB - Ronnie Brown
TE - Owen Daniels
FLEX - Kenny Britt

Bench:

Austin Collie
Dexter McCluster
Kevin Walter
Anthony Gonzalez
Matt Ryan
Larry Johnson
Golden Tate
Tim Tebow (lol)
Marshawn Lynch
Kevin Boss

this team COULD make the post season...impossible to grade right now

will Peyton really score that much lower than Rodgers?

DeSean could go off...as well as Ocho

Dez won't have big numbers this year...that is a miss IMO...although I guess it is possible

Britt is supposed to end up the #1 for the Titans...the dude is built like Sid Rice...he is a freak on a team with NO #1

Benson and Brown could both f*ck people up...(although I would never draft Brown, always injured)

Daniels could be huge at TE...

all in all, I would take your team over this one right now, but really just want to point out that there is no way to know which one will do better...

you got the odds in your favor I guess (with regards to just these 2 teams) and I suppose that is all that matters...

tian820 08-30-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

QB - Peyton Manning
WR - Desean Jackson
WR - Chad Ochocinco
WR - Dez Bryant
RB - Cedric Benson
RB - Ronnie Brown
TE - Owen Daniels
FLEX - Kenny Britt

Bench:

Austin Collie
Dexter McCluster
Kevin Walter
Anthony Gonzalez
Matt Ryan
Larry Johnson
Golden Tate
Tim Tebow (lol)
Marshawn Lynch
Kevin Boss

Who was your 1st pick in this league? Was this 16 teams? Only way I could see a Benson/Manning situation at the end of the 1st/beginning of the 2nd. I gotta imagine you drafted this one early too.

Stinky Dog 08-30-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tian820
Who was your 1st pick in this league? Was this 16 teams? Only way I could see a Benson/Manning situation at the end of the 1st/beginning of the 2nd. I gotta imagine you drafted this one early too.

That's not my team. I posted that team because of how bad it is. 12 team league, same draft.