Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Games Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Apprecation Thread: Uncharted 2 - Among Thieves (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189032)

crosso√er 09-01-2010 03:46 AM

Apprecation Thread: Uncharted 2 - Among Thieves

First off, I'll say one thing: best game, I have ever played in my life. No over-exaggeration, no "in-the-moment" flavor of the week feel to it; I have played this game for the first time ten months ago and just recently was undergoing chronicle boredom and decided to play a video game to kill time for a few hours; I ended up playing for thirteen hours until ten in the morning next day. Called in sick at seven in the morning after realizing how long I've played this game... :oldlol:

The game is brilliantly paced; you'll simultaneously shift form platform and traversal, to melee & gun play, to stealth, to puzzle solving seamlessly. Game's strongest features are its plot and brilliant technology. The visuals and audio are second to none in this game, I truly mean it. Rich audio accents compliment the visuals perfectly, not only making the loud sections boom, but also filling the quiet sections with deep aural details. Everything that can make a sound does: pipes, waterfalls, electrical wires, loose pottery, animals, distant gunfire. The vistas are breathtaking in this game and the details to the smallest of items (example: foot prints) is meticulous.
Everything is top notch but the most intriguing part about the game is its groundbreaking cut scenes. The way the game seamlessly transitions the player from game play to cut scenes is remarkable; cut scenes are so fascinating that you will never try to skip them. Oh and those graphics are ran at 720p; not even the highest resolution available to us these days. I won't go into details; I'll let you guys experience it for yourselves. All I have to say is whether you're running on the roof of a moving train or getting hit by another car; you feel the adrenaline as if you are really there, experiencing survival first hand...fighting for your life.

The icing on the cake is definitely the sound. Explosions to footsteps to the flutter of a bird’s wings, the dynamic range of the game’s sound effects is amazing and in some ways unequaled. The voice acting is unparalleled, heck that's an understatement. The dialogue, oh the dialogue, what a god damn masterpiece. The game started off via the movie Memento; it took a confusing scene, you (Nate) in a wrecked train bleeding with no one in-sight. You have to escape the train before it goes off the cliff; then all the sudden the game takes you back four months ago. The things this game pulls of is beyond intelligent writing; it's something we are only accustomed of seeing on the big screen that won ten Academy Awards. The characterization is top notch, every character is interesting outside of the Native Indian who does not speak English (:oldlol: ); the score itself is perfect. The music selection perfectly transcends the drama/adventure that is unfolding; it's as good if not better then God of War trilogy. The sound itself simply immerses you even more into the experience. It's a parameter that is highly overlooked by many casual gamers; it's something that most people don't really consider when playing a game: GUESS WHAT!, THIS TIME EVEN THE MOST CASUAL GAMER WILL APPRECIATE THE ARTISTIC DESIGN THAT NAUGHTY DOG HAS CREATED. The birds chirping, gun fire slowly approaching from a distance etc.; this game is so damn creative its mind blowing.

I have never felt compelled to progress through a game just to see what subsequently happens next. This game is so immersive that you'll feel like you are the main character. Every single element in this game has been beautifully crafted, exposing the most intriguing story I have ever experienced on a gaming console; bar none. The game simply takes you into tumultuous thrill ride, that you will never want to end. Simply put, Naughty Dog has delivered a generation-defining game that actually made me a vivid hardcore gamer, only because of Uncharted 2 and the only game I play passionately and excessively.

The main bugs I have with this game is the A.I (on easy level) is a little suspect, there are times where you can be visibly standing right next to the enemy and he won't do anything to you. Also the camera work will bug you at times, but those aren't major flaws and it definitely won't irritate you to the point of quitting.

Uncharted 2 is a vast improvement over its predecessor (that's saying a lot); the way this game amalgamates all of these elements perfectly into one masterful package.

Enough talking, I created this thread for recognition purposes. If you don't have this game, get it, if you don't own a PS3, buy it!!

Best experience of my life, when it comes to holding a game controller.

:bowdown: Uncharted 2 Trailer

jaydacris 09-01-2010 04:04 AM

Re: Apprecation Thread: Uncharted 2 - Among Thieves

amazing game
you summed it up perfectly

but forgot one thing
chloe and elena = :pimp:

Al Thornton 09-01-2010 05:41 PM

great post. phoenix and all the guys who just got or are going to get a ps3 should read this.

SinJackal 09-01-2010 09:24 PM

That game was really fun. I remember playing the beta online mode before the game was released, and absolutely smashing people in multiplayer right after it got released.

I was bombing on people so hard, it almost wasn't funny. Almost anyway.

"Kick offs" and "Pull downs" are the most hilarious ways to kill people. Though I guess a propane tank kill is always funny too. Haven't played this game in awhile! Brings back memories. ^_^

PowerGlove 09-01-2010 09:50 PM

Good read.:applause:

I loved the first one until the zombies came into the play. That was just corny and over the top.

Thorpesaurous 09-01-2010 10:11 PM

Completely agree. My favorite game on the current generation. My all time best looking game.

My few criticisms are issues really with what the game isn't. I'd like more ability to collect, and to upgrade weapons, but that's just not what this game is. And I feel like the puzzling could be a little more intricate. The fact that it doesn't fall dead into my wheelhouse, yet it's still my favorite game on the PS3 says a ton.

It's also the game that introduced me to multiplayer. I'm not a huge fan. But I loved this game so much that after I beat it I really wanted to keep going. The co-op missions are awesome.

It's also the only game I've ever gotten a platinum trophy for 100%ing. I did 100% Red Dead, but not the online content, so I never got the platinum trophy.

bdreason 09-01-2010 10:34 PM

Guess I'll give it a shot then.

IlliniFan 01-25-2011 01:51 AM

Got this game recently and I'm still going through it, I think im on chapter 17 or so, but yeah, by far my favorite game of the ones I have gotten so far which include some pretty good ones. It's hard to put the controller down. I need to finish the game before the semester truly starts or I won't be able to finish any homework. :lol

Al Thornton 01-25-2011 01:58 AM

most def best game i've ever played. i don't see how they can possible top it with the sequel.

D12"Magic" 01-25-2011 04:17 PM

Cant wait for Uncharted 3 :banana:

rhythmic †hesis 11-02-2012 05:52 PM

Damn, very well written description.
I noticed something though, Uncharted 3 > Uncharted 2. At first I said "no way" but after playing U3 a few more times, I don't enjoy U2 as much.

I know the story is a bit shorter and the ending seemed kind of rushed; but I now really appreciate the ambitious efforts ND put into U3. The story is deeper, and more mature. The villains look less cliche to me, and the new characters were terrific (in particular Cutter). The set-pieces were just the best of all-time. There were roughly 4-5 missions in U3 that were as good or better then the best mission in U2, IMO.

Uncharted 2 had a more immersed story though, with far better pacing. The journey seemed more grueling too. Uncharted 3 had better graphics, set-pieces, overall characters, and more intricate villains.

I'd easily have U2 and U3 as two of the top five games I have ever played on PS3/XBOX360. And yes Uncharted 3 (to me anyways) is better then Skyrim and Arkham City. Played both games, originally I felt like AC was superior but not anymore. I think the biggest reasons are the 12 subsequent patches ND released, that improved a lot of the problems I had with the game initially.

Actually, I enjoyed Skyrim a lot. Mass Effect 2 is my favorite RPG game ever, but Skyrim is right up there now.