Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detroit Pistons Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Does Daye Start At PF? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193342)

dd24 10-16-2010 01:04 AM

Does Daye Start At PF?
 
So far throughout the preseason Daye has been the starting PF. Tonight they started both Daye and Charlie, but Daye has been the starting PF. He's actually putting up some really good numbers too. Does everybody think it's his spot to lose now?

QuebecBaller 10-16-2010 09:33 PM

Re: Does Daye Start At PF?
 
Well, since they want to give him more minutes, and with many sg and sf on this team, the only place he can play is at PF spot (because of the injury of JJ)

dd24 10-16-2010 10:04 PM

Re: Does Daye Start At PF?
 
I actually have another idea behind it too..... For a team to make a trade their looking for a reliable veteran (like Rip or Tay) and some youth. The Pistons might be show casing Daye's talent. Think if they really wanted to make a run at Melo (just an example). Denver would need a SF like Tay. They also want a first round pick. The other thing they are looking for is young talent. Daye is showing he could be the type of guy who could put up near 20 ppg. Trading one of the young pieces along with Rip or Tay is going to be how Detroit pulls off a good deal.

Nastradamus 10-17-2010 03:39 PM

Re: Does Daye Start At PF?
 
I just don't like it. Its such a small lineup.

Nastradamus 10-17-2010 03:40 PM

Re: Does Daye Start At PF?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
I actually have another idea behind it too..... For a team to make a trade their looking for a reliable veteran (like Rip or Tay) and some youth. The Pistons might be show casing Daye's talent. Think if they really wanted to make a run at Melo (just an example). Denver would need a SF like Tay. They also want a first round pick. The other thing they are looking for is young talent. Daye is showing he could be the type of guy who could put up near 20 ppg. Trading one of the young pieces along with Rip or Tay is going to be how Detroit pulls off a good deal.


Prince,Daye,Summers,Wilcox/Max(make salary work) and a 1st for Melo? Probably not enough, but might be if Daye plays well until the deadline.

dd24 10-17-2010 06:26 PM

Re: Does Daye Start At PF?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nastradamus
Prince,Daye,Summers,Wilcox/Max(make salary work) and a 1st for Melo? Probably not enough, but might be if Daye plays well until the deadline.


I don't think Melo will get traded in just a 2 team deal anyhow. Also I was just using it as an example. I don't think he would want to sign long term in Detroit. I thought since it's always in ever basketball headline it was something people could easily correlate with. People can see in order to get a good player it takes a combination of established veterans, up and coming youth, and draft picks.

dd24 10-17-2010 06:31 PM

Re: Does Daye Start At PF?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nastradamus
I just don't like it. Its such a small lineup.


Daye has clearly been the best scorer in the preseason though. He has the height. If we're looking at a lineup of Stuckey, Hamilton, Prince, Daye, and Wallace, there's actually a lot of length in a lineup like that. After seeing what I have so far, I think it's his spot to lose. It's also a good way to showcase his talents. Or maybe if something happened closer to the trade deadline when Jerebko was getting healthy he might be the young talent that gets put into a deal because Daye proves himself. Any way around it, I think in order for the Pistons to pull off a trade it will have to include someone like Daye, Jerebko, or Bynum. Since we have so many PF's now that we have Monroe in the mix of things too, I think it might need to be someone from that position. Next year we won't have a lot of SF's under contract so I don't see Joe D necessarily trading one of those unless he feels really good about resigning someone for the long term.

Nastradamus 10-18-2010 06:25 PM

Re: Does Daye Start At PF?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
Daye has clearly been the best scorer in the preseason though. He has the height. If we're looking at a lineup of Stuckey, Hamilton, Prince, Daye, and Wallace, there's actually a lot of length in a lineup like that. After seeing what I have so far, I think it's his spot to lose. It's also a good way to showcase his talents. Or maybe if something happened closer to the trade deadline when Jerebko was getting healthy he might be the young talent that gets put into a deal because Daye proves himself. Any way around it, I think in order for the Pistons to pull off a trade it will have to include someone like Daye, Jerebko, or Bynum. Since we have so many PF's now that we have Monroe in the mix of things too, I think it might need to be someone from that position. Next year we won't have a lot of SF's under contract so I don't see Joe D necessarily trading one of those unless he feels really good about resigning someone for the long term.


I doubt we end up trading one of our young players personally. Maybe Summers, but the rest will be given a chance here first. JJ is hurt, Daye doesn't have enough value yet and Bynum is a key piece right now.

Sure, that lineup has a lot of length and scoring, but I think you would just get pounded on by any sort of size. Daye is just too scrawny and weak. He can play PF for a few minutes here and there, but he's a wing player for the most part IMHO. I'd much rather see him groomed to be the SF of the future when Prince is gone.

Nastradamus 10-18-2010 06:28 PM

Re: Does Daye Start At PF?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
I don't think Melo will get traded in just a 2 team deal anyhow. Also I was just using it as an example. I don't think he would want to sign long term in Detroit. I thought since it's always in ever basketball headline it was something people could easily correlate with. People can see in order to get a good player it takes a combination of established veterans, up and coming youth, and draft picks.


Maybe, just throwing out one idea I had. I see no reason it can't be a 2 team deal if they can get the expirings and young guys they want. We can't top Derrick Favors though

tbrulz 01-25-2011 02:19 PM

Re: Does Daye Start At PF?
 
I'm a newb so I can't create threads but I'm glad the Daye at PF experiement is over, along with the Stuckey PG one. Just never saw Daye going against the Zach Randolph,David West,Pau Gasols of the NBA.

But Daye has been impressive at times but inconsistent. Was hoping for more especially since he impressed me in summer league.

What are your feelings toward Daye, what player does he remind you of? I know people think of him as a Tayshaun clone, but Tay was a much better defender while I believe Daye is a better shooter than Tay was at his age.

I don't see superstar potential for Daye but think he could be really good, possibly a poor-man's Rashard Lewis?

dd24 01-25-2011 03:52 PM

Re: Does Daye Start At PF?
 
I always like Daye at SG. I think he should be getting more minutes there. Rip is benched and Gordon is wildly inconsistent. I never really liked him at PF either. While I think he can score at any position (to a certain extent) I just don't see him going against guys like Amare, KG, Gasol, Duncan, etc, etc on a nightly basis. No team could be a contender like that. I think with his length he provides some match up problems at SG and SF and those will probably be his main spots. His problem is he played himself out of the rotation at all with his poor play thus far. Although I do blame some of it on Kuester for switching his position from SG (which he was playing in the preseason successfully) to PF during the regular season.

What I would really like to see is a healthy Jerebko in place of Chris Wilcox right now.... To me it would be interesting to see how a front line of him and Monroe could defend. Plus would they be able to create well enough on offense? Hopefully Jerebko recovers and that might actually become a reality before too long.

tbrulz 01-31-2011 01:33 PM

Re: Does Daye Start At PF?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
I always like Daye at SG. I think he should be getting more minutes there. Rip is benched and Gordon is wildly inconsistent. I never really liked him at PF either. While I think he can score at any position (to a certain extent) I just don't see him going against guys like Amare, KG, Gasol, Duncan, etc, etc on a nightly basis. No team could be a contender like that. I think with his length he provides some match up problems at SG and SF and those will probably be his main spots. His problem is he played himself out of the rotation at all with his poor play thus far. Although I do blame some of it on Kuester for switching his position from SG (which he was playing in the preseason successfully) to PF during the regular season.

What I would really like to see is a healthy Jerebko in place of Chris Wilcox right now.... To me it would be interesting to see how a front line of him and Monroe could defend. Plus would they be able to create well enough on offense? Hopefully Jerebko recovers and that might actually become a reality before too long.


I just don't think Daye can guard SG's right now and our roster is crowded with SGs. You have Stuck/BG/White/Rip* all crowding the SG position. Right now he is better suited for SF. Once he plays better D and JJ comes back I could see a move to SG.

Nastradamus 02-14-2011 04:51 PM

Re: Does Daye Start At PF?
 
You'll never win with Daye at SG and you take away any size advantage he may have. I mean, yah, he's bigger than SGs, but he's too easily taken adavantage of by smaller, quicker guards. Daye is going to be a stud SF in the prime Peja mode(damn good player), leave him alone


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy