Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   NFL fines 12 more players in crackdown (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194133)

bladefd 10-23-2010 03:25 PM

NFL fines 12 more players in crackdown
 
This is insane. NFL just going all-out on the fines this month. Most of them are fines for too much roughness. I am starting to become annoyed now as to how far they are going to protect the players (and let me say - they are trying hard to protect mostly the players on the offensive side of the field). Terrible guys up at the NFL administration..

Then they want to extend the season 2 more games; I remember once somebody asked Roger Goodell that won't the 2-game extension create more injuries? Roger Goodell responded with something like "It is already a violent game as it is, 2 games will not change that or make it worse than it is. We want better product for the fans." They argue that the game is already violent so a 2 game extension won't make it worse. Now they are essentially saying that this game is TOO violent. I love the hypocrisy in all this... I seriously hope there is a lockout.

Quote:

NEW YORK (AP)—The NFL fined 12 more players Friday, mostly for unnecessary roughness in games last weekend, sending another strong message that violent conduct wouldn’t be tolerated.

Minnesota defensive end Ray Edwards(notes) was fined the most, $20,000, for spearing Dallas running back Marion Barber(notes) on Sunday. Edwards was cited as a repeat offender; he was previously fined Aug. 28 for roughing the passer and Sept. 26 for unnecessary roughness.

“I just got fined $20,000 for a spear that really wasn’t a spear,” Edwards said. “If you look at the last play, (Dallas tackle Marc) Colombo speared Jared (Allen) and I don’t believe he got fined. If you’re going to fine people, fine everybody. Don’t just fine defensive guys.”
The league did not fine Colombo.

Earlier this week, huge fines were given for flagrant fouls by Pittsburgh’s James Harrison(notes) ($75,000), Atlanta’s Dunta Robinson(notes) and New England’s Brandon Meriweather(notes) (both $50,000). The league also promised suspensions for players who make illegal hits on defenseless opponents. A video was sent to the 32 teams explaining what hits are considered legal and illegal.

The 15 fines were unusually high for one week, a signal of the NFL’s resolve to police violent play. Generally, either a $5,000 or $10,000 fine is handed out for roughness. In this week’s total all but two were for roughness. On Oct. 1 the league also issued 15 fines, 10 for roughness.

.......

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nflfines

BTW - Let me say this. I posted this thread here because nobody reads the NFL forums. Nobody. I would rather post it in these OTC forums than the football forums.

pete's montreux 10-23-2010 03:37 PM

Re: NFL fines 12 more players in crackdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bladefd
This is insane. NFL just going all-out on the fines this month. Most of them are fines for too much roughness. I am starting to become annoyed now as to how far they are going to protect the players (and let me say - they are trying hard to protect mostly the players on the offensive side of the field). Terrible guys up at the NFL administration..

Then they want to extend the season 2 more games; I remember once somebody asked Roger Goodell that won't the 2-game extension create more injuries? Roger Goodell responded with something like "It is already a violent game as it is, 2 games will not change that or make it worse than it is. We want better product for the fans." They argue that the game is already violent so a 2 game extension won't make it worse. Now they are essentially saying that this game is TOO violent. I love the hypocrisy in all this... I seriously hope there is a lockout.


http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nflfines

BTW - Let me say this. I posted this thread here because nobody reads the NFL forums. Nobody. I would rather post it in these OTC forums than the football forums.


You sure about that?

Kblaze8855 10-23-2010 04:19 PM

Re: NFL fines 12 more players in crackdown
 
I didnt even know there was an NFl forum.

takeittothehoop 10-23-2010 04:41 PM

Re: NFL fines 12 more players in crackdown
 
Yeah right, nobody reads the NFL Forum. Whatever you say.

craigthomasb 10-23-2010 08:24 PM

Re: NFL fines 12 more players in crackdown
 
getting them xmas bonuses :banana:

RedBlackAttack 10-23-2010 08:29 PM

Re: NFL fines 12 more players in crackdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bladefd
BTW - Let me say this. I posted this thread here because nobody reads the NFL forums. Nobody. I would rather post it in these OTC forums than the football forums.

Completely wrong. There is a relatively small, dedicated group of posters in the Football Forum. It is incredibly active and always contains interesting discussions.

In fact, there is a multi-page thread on the fines already (it has James Harrison in the title, I think).

InspiredLebowski 10-23-2010 08:31 PM

Re: NFL fines 12 more players in crackdown
 
The NFL forum will be the 3rd most posted in forum (excluding team forums) by the end of November and it's the newest forum by far.

johndeeregreen 10-23-2010 08:43 PM

Re: NFL fines 12 more players in crackdown
 
Quote:

sending another strong message that violent conduct wouldn’t be tolerated.
Violent conduct won't be tolerated in the game of football now?

pete's montreux 10-23-2010 08:43 PM

Re: NFL fines 12 more players in crackdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
The NFL forum will be the 3rd most posted in forum (excluding team forums) by the end of November and it's the newest forum by far.


Yeah and It's 6th overall, while being new. That's impressive considering the Raptors forum shouldn't even be considered.

bladefd 10-23-2010 11:18 PM

Re: NFL fines 12 more players in crackdown
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Completely wrong. There is a relatively small, dedicated group of posters in the Football Forum. It is incredibly active and always contains interesting discussions.

In fact, there is a multi-page thread on the fines already (it has James Harrison in the title, I think).


Well then somebody should probably move this thread over there. When I was looking at the nfl forums to post this thread, I noticed that nobody had made a new post inside the last 24 hours (3-4 threads had a post in last 48hrs) so I assumed that people don't post very often in those forums. Maybe it was just bad timing on my end. :confusedshrug: I just checked now; a bunch of new posts in there..

simcjt 10-23-2010 11:39 PM

Re: NFL fines 12 more players in crackdown
 
Biggest problem with the NFL section is the fact its at the bottom of the list in terms of placement. It use to be higher but the powers that be moved it.

As messed up as this may sound the WNBA section is really not needed.

RaininThrees 10-23-2010 11:51 PM

Re: NFL fines 12 more players in crackdown
 
As they should. No one in the NFL tried to tackle anymore... They're all just hockey hits. Everyone is launching themselves looking to get on Primetime's Jacked Up segment.

Make the players attempt to tackle (face up, arms out), and you'll see head shots decrease. Coming in and hitting with the crown is not only dangerous to the reciever, but also to the hitter.

You can still blow guys up with a proper tackle across the body.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy