Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   College and High School Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Barkley, Kenny Smith, Marv Albert to call NCAA tournament games (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197535)

Posterize246 11-16-2010 03:56 PM

Barkley, Kenny Smith, Marv Albert to call NCAA tournament games

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5813422

Quote:

CBS and Turner executives confirmed Tuesday that the brash Hall of Famer and other big names from TNT's NBA broadcasts would be part of their joint coverage of the NCAA tournament starting this season.

Expect Marv Albert to call some early-round games and Barkley and Kenny Smith to offer analysis from the studio under the 14-year, $10.8 billion deal the two companies signed in April.

Tournament games will air on CBS and three of Turner's cable channels: TNT, TBS and truTV. Sports chiefs Sean McManus of CBS and David Levy of Turner said at the Sports Media & Technology conference in New York that the companies would combine their rosters of basketball commentators.

CBS will still broadcast the Final Four each year through 2015, so the network's lead team of Jim Nantz and Clark Kellogg will keep calling the national semifinal and championship games, though a third person could join the crew.

DeronMillsap 11-16-2010 06:01 PM

Re: Barkley, Kenny Smith, Marv Albert to call NCAA tournament games

Should be fun to watch them talk about college hoops.

TennesseeFan 11-16-2010 06:05 PM

Win.

KG215 11-16-2010 06:11 PM

I'm stoked about this. Can't wait to hear Chuck call a college hoops game.

Posterize246 11-16-2010 11:45 PM

I think it'll be pretty cool to hear their commentary but sometimes it makes me cringe because they don't know the players. You hear them declaring guys great shooters that aren't, mispronouncing names, not having a clue about the team's season success or style, etc. It's kind of annoying.

HisJoeness 11-16-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Posterize246
I think it'll be pretty cool to hear their commentary but sometimes it makes me cringe because they don't know the players. You hear them declaring guys great shooters that aren't, mispronouncing names, not having a clue about the team's season success or style, etc. It's kind of annoying.

When Charles does it it's entertaining, you have to admit.

Posterize246 11-16-2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HisJoeness
When Charles does it it's entertaining, you have to admit.

anything Charles does is entertaining

irondarts 11-17-2010 12:23 AM

Great news.

TheGame414 11-17-2010 02:59 PM

So are we all going to pretend that Inside the NBA didn't jump the shark about four years ago?

As much as I love it, that's exactly what's happened. I'm not looking forward to these guys calling college games. Bill Simmons said it best a year or two ago: I shouldn't feel like I know more about the NBA than Charles Barkley, but that's exactly how I feel a lot of the time when I watch him. He's still offering opinions about the league that were last relevant in 2003.

I'm not sure if they're still doing it but Chris Webber/Gary Payton a year or two ago on NBATV were WAY better than Chuck and Kenny, almost immediately. I just got NBATV added back to my cable package and I haven't caught them yet, I hope they're still paired up.

KG215 11-17-2010 08:38 PM

I'm looking forward to it almsot solely because of the possible entertainment level Chuck will provide calling a college game. Of course, that could wear off 5 minutes into the 1st half since there's a very good chance he and kenny neither one will know much about the teams and players.

parkespapa 11-17-2010 08:48 PM

Speaking of Chuck, anybody hear what he said about the Cam Newton situation?

Paraphrasing-I can't believe that there's any way Auburn would pay Newton $200,000 to sign...he's worth way more than that. If that's all they paid they got a steal.