Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but: (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200920)

Real Men Wear Green 12-13-2010 09:47 AM

I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but:
 
50 degrees right now in Boston, 12 days from Christmas. Two days ago it was 15. I think what we're seeing is the weather growing more inconsistent over time, not always hotter, just wilder.

PowerGlove 12-13-2010 09:49 AM

Re: I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but:
 
So you are telling me that Boston is warmer than Atlanta right now? Wow

rufuspaul 12-13-2010 10:19 AM

Re: I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerGlove
So you are telling me that Boston is warmer than Atlanta right now? Wow


Woke up this morning in Charlotte to 24 degrees and light snow. :wtf:

InspiredLebowski 12-13-2010 10:24 AM

Re: I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but:
 
Tom Friedman calls it "global weirding."

TennesseeFan 12-13-2010 11:13 AM

Re: I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but:
 
weather has always been weird, its just that there is more technology to document it now.

knobs 12-13-2010 11:32 AM

Re: I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but:
 
northern europe's had a really early freeze this year. weird is right. though the average global temperatures between february and october of 2010 (or something like that) was warmer than its been in the last 150 years, so the global average remains consistent. i think.

i can't and don't claim to understand global climate models in any significant way, but i am smart enough to be reasonably certain in distinguishing moronic tall tales from fact backed theory, and it tickles (and simultaneously frustrates) my fancy to no end listening to the padded rhetoric that plagues partisan politics in the form of speeches, blogs, columns/articles, and the like. the fact that an issue like climate change, all important and all too frequently discussed, has taken such a nosedive in intelligent discourse, solely because of its illogical partisan division, really is one of the biggest headaches western politics have ever managed. it's just f*cked up to no end.

(no reference to anybody in this thread btw, just a general comment. though obviously there are ish personalities to which most of that would undoubtedly apply)

indiefan24 12-13-2010 11:33 AM

Re: I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
50 degrees right now in Boston, 12 days from Christmas. Two days ago it was 15. I think what we're seeing is the weather growing more inconsistent over time, not always hotter, just wilder.


Unfortunately, it's going back down tonight....grrr

FatComputerNerd 12-13-2010 11:36 AM

Re: I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but:
 
Be glad you're not in Cleveland right now, that's all I'm saying.

Rizko 12-13-2010 11:49 AM

Re: I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
50 degrees right now in Boston, 12 days from Christmas. Two days ago it was 15. I think what we're seeing is the weather growing more inconsistent over time, not always hotter, just wilder.

Yea in Maine just a couple of days ago it was freezing cold nd had a few inches of snow on the ground, today it was 55 degrees and raining with all the snow melted.

chazzy 12-13-2010 11:52 AM

Re: I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but:
 
High of 82 here in LA

boozehound 12-13-2010 12:10 PM

Re: I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TennesseeFan
weather has always been weird, its just that there is more technology to document it now.

as usual, this cat is the biggest fool on the site. As for the term "global warming", like all mediazations of actual science, its a misnomer. That is why there is a push to call it global climate change instead. Some places will get more rain, some less, etc. The point is that our burning of fossil fuels has fundamentally shifted both the atmospheric composition and the global carbon cycle. This will impact the "weather" in both predictable (usually on a global, long term scale - i.e. global warming refers to the general longitudinal trend of the entire earth) and unpredictable (local weather patterns, day to day and year to year patterns, etc) ways. People who deny the anthropogenic impact on the atmosphere are either straight morons (who usually dont know the first thing about the actual data, just dismiss it), deniers (usually because its tooooo scary to think about), or are profiting massively from our continued dependence on the burning of carbon sinks like oil and gas.

Kobe8 12-13-2010 12:14 PM

Re: I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but:
 
24 degrees and it was snowing a lil here in germany..

BankShot 12-13-2010 01:18 PM

Re: I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but
 
I was under the impression that the accepted term was Global Climate Change

For instance, the global governing body on dealing with the effects of increased carbon is the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change

kaiteng 12-13-2010 01:31 PM

Re: I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but:
 
Meh. I would stop complaining and start learning how to survive by now.

Even it is really a global warming, you cannot do anything about it right now.

SinJackal 12-13-2010 01:34 PM

Re: I'm not sure "Globabl Warming" is the right term for what we're experiencing, but:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boozehound
as usual, this cat is the biggest fool on the site. As for the term "global warming", like all mediazations of actual science, its a misnomer. That is why there is a push to call it global climate change instead. Some places will get more rain, some less, etc. The point is that our burning of fossil fuels has fundamentally shifted both the atmospheric composition and the global carbon cycle. This will impact the "weather" in both predictable (usually on a global, long term scale - i.e. global warming refers to the general longitudinal trend of the entire earth) and unpredictable (local weather patterns, day to day and year to year patterns, etc) ways. People who deny the anthropogenic impact on the atmosphere are either straight morons (who usually dont know the first thing about the actual data, just dismiss it), deniers (usually because its tooooo scary to think about), or are profiting massively from our continued dependence on the burning of carbon sinks like oil and gas.


Good post.

Animals have also been going extinct at rates higher than most documented mass extinctions that have had to do with large meteorite impacts, epic volcanic eruptions (or both in one), gradual ice ages, and any other global life killing phenomena.

This is due to us, humanity, not natural climate shifting (which is what energy companies and republicans try and pretend). It's still baffling to me that there are still people out there who deny our negative impact on the planet. We're agruably worse than global disasters, because we constantly destroy and manipulate the environment (and animals) to our will with no reprieve whatsoever. I honestly think we're screwed, but I'll be dead long before we get to that point of no return where humanity realizes it's doomed itself by overharvesting and overpopulating the planet.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy