Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OT: Michigan or Florida? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20244)

Wuxia 12-03-2006 03:58 AM

OT: Michigan or Florida?

Who do you believe deserves to play OSU in the Championship game? IMO, Michigan might be more deserving to get a rematch, but I really don't want to see those 2 teams play again. I'd really like to see what Florida's defense can do against OSU's offense. It should be a good game, although Florida needs to bring their A game. They have played like crap so many times this year.

Blackeagle 12-03-2006 05:05 AM

I want to see michigan, representing the big 10

I can understand why people outside of the big 10 would prefer florida though.

I do honestly think that michigan is the better team though, and if you want to see the 2 best teams in the country playing in the title game, you want to see a rematch of OSU/michigan

JSub 12-03-2006 05:07 AM

We need an OSU vs Michigan rematch.

bigkingsfan 12-03-2006 05:08 AM

Gimme FL, Michigan already had their chance at OSU. Would love to see a matchup of two team that rarely plays each other.

kentatm 12-03-2006 05:16 AM

Quote:

1. Florida beat nine teams that are projected to play in bowl games. Michigan beat six.

2. Michigan beat five teams that finished the season with losing records. Florida beat two teams with sub-.500 records.

3. Florida's 12 Division I-A opponents had a combined record of 89-57. Michigan's 12 opponents had a combined record of 84-61.

4. Michigan's best win is considered a 27-13 victory over Wisconsin on Sept. 23. The Badgers are 11-1 and have climbed to No. 7 in the AP Top 25 poll, despite having played only one ranked opponent -- the Wolverines -- the entire season.

5. The 12 teams Florida defeated finished the season with 11 combined wins against opponents which were ranked in the AP Top 25 poll at the time the game was played. The opponents Michigan defeated claim just three wins against ranked teams (Notre Dame beat Penn State. Indiana beat Iowa. Vanderbilt beat Georgia. The Nittany Lions, Hawkeyes and Bulldogs, it should be noted, haven't been ranked in seven weeks).

6. The Gators went 3-1 against ranked opponents, beating then-No. 13 Tennessee, No. 9 LSU and No. 8 Arkansas and losing at No. 11 Auburn. The Wolverines went 1-1 against ranked opponents, beating a highly overrated No. 2 Notre Dame team (that lost to Michigan and USC by a combined total of 46 points) and losing at No. 1 Ohio State 42-39 on Nov. 18.

7. The Gators' average margin of victory against Division I-A teams was 13.5 points. They won seven games by 14 points or fewer, six by less than 10. The Wolverines' average margin of victory was 17.3 points. They won six games by 14 points or fewer, two by less than 10.

8. The Gators played Western Carolina, a Division I-AA team, and won by 62 points. The Wolverines played Ball State, which should be a I-AA team, and won by eight.

9. Since the Wolverines last played and lost at Ohio State, the Gators won at Florida State (The Seminoles are 6-6, but rivalry games are tough to win. Just ask USC coach Pete Carroll) and then beat the No. 8 Razorbacks, who defeated then-No. 2 Auburn and No. 13 Tennessee by 17 points each.

10. Michigan didn't win the Big Ten; Florida won the SEC. Winning your conference should be a prerequisite for playing in the national championship.

link

Florida deserves it more.

however, if Michigan getting in makes a playoff happen sooner, ill take them.

eliteballer 12-03-2006 06:32 AM

Florida's win over Arkansas is whatever. USC beat them 50-14.

Real Men Wear Green 12-03-2006 07:45 AM

Basically, Florida has the advantage in quality opponents while Michigan has the edge in convincing wins. Neither team has an argument capable of ending the debate. I'd pick UF because we've already seen Michigan lose to OSU but that's picking a team for a reason that really has nothing to do with who "deserves" to play for the Championship more. Neither team deserves it more, they both just deserve it. Oh well, hope there's a playoff system one day. Slightly off-topic, but something that I'll find ironic if voters give UF the edge based on not wanting to see a rematch: The University of Florida's sole Football National Championship came from a rematch against an opponent that had beaten them in the regular season, FSU, in 1996.

BFRESH44 12-03-2006 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliteballer

Not the same Arkansas team...D-McFadden(aka their offense) wasn't healthy.

I hate the Gators as a Canes guy/alumn but they derserve it..

Michingan had a crack at it already..And their most impressive win is against the overrated Notre Dame... And The Big Ten SUCKED this YEAR.

USC losing to UCLA nipped all that hype they were getting (ROFL)..

You gotta Give the SEC/Florida a chance...They got screwed the last time (Auburn)...

thejoyofsobe 12-03-2006 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliteballer

USC played them with the majority of their offense out (i.e. Heisman trophy candidate Darren McFadden was injured and they were playing with what would end up being their third string quarterback). It was also before the Auburn "breakout" so it clearly wasn't the same team that went 7-1 in the SEC in the regular season. Not to take away from USC's offensive dominance, but when a team's offense is going nowhere it's hard for a defense to give it their all for four quarters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackeagle
I want to see michigan, representing the big 10

Ohio State's already representing the Big Ten. Give me Florida over a glorified Big Ten Championship game. Can't wait to hear OSU fans and UM fans both claiming a national title if Michigan won a rematch game. Florida would also have a claim if it won the Sugar Bowl. Three co-national champions. Hopefully that would be ridiculous enough to get a plus one or a playoff.

thejoyofsobe 12-03-2006 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Slightly off-topic, but something that I'll find ironic if voters give UF the edge based on not wanting to see a rematch: The University of Florida's sole Football National Championship came from a rematch against an opponent that had beaten them in the regular season, FSU, in 1996.

That was #1 FSU vs. #3 Florida because of Big Ten/Pac 10 bowl ties that we didn't get #1 vs. #2. Florida only got in that position because Nebraska lost to Texas in the Big 12 Championship game and I think some other team lost too but I can't remember. When Ohio State beat #2 Arizona State in the Rose Bowl that set the game up for the national title. If ASU wins and Florida doesn't win by thirty or so points, ASU could still have been VOTED national champions.
Personally, if Florida lost last night I would have no problem with a UM vs. OSU rematch. But they didn't lose.

Real Men Wear Green 12-03-2006 08:16 AM

Yeah, it was the pre-BCS days, which were arguably worse (on the plus side, no one harbored any illusions that the system wasn't screwy, as opposed to the present day where the BCS cultists act like this system solves everything). I just bring it up because it proves that a rematch is not necessarily the wrong decision. But if Florida gets left out and wins the Sugar Bowl while OSU goes out and beats Michigan again the BCS will continue to look like crap. Well, it will probably look bad no matter what happens.

thejoyofsobe 12-03-2006 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Yeah, it was the pre-BCS days, which were arguably worse (on the plus side, no one harbored any illusions that the system wasn't screwy, as opposed to the present day where the BCS cultists act like this system solves everything). I just bring it up because it proves that a rematch is not necessarily the wrong decision. But if Florida gets left out and wins the Sugar Bowl while OSU goes out and beats Michigan again the BCS will continue to look like crap. Well, it will probably look bad no matter what happens.

I agree that a rematch would be the right decision if Florida and USC had both lost. Some who hold a conference championship a prerequisite to a championship bid would argue Louisville.

miles berg 12-03-2006 08:35 AM

Id have to say the Florida Gators.

Wish there was a 1 game playoff to decide though, this seems unfair to one team. But Florida as a conference champ gets my pretend vote.

GOBB 12-03-2006 10:37 AM

You can make a case for both. I dont know who to pick.:confusedshrug:

dgbigballer9329 12-03-2006 10:40 AM

I'd go with Michigan, but I can't rationally argue against Florida either. Won't be cryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyin! either way

*jacks Alicia Silverstone's purse*