Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The process of becoming a legal immigrant is difficult (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203885)

LilBTheBasedGod 01-05-2011 09:16 PM

The process of becoming a legal immigrant is difficult

I met this Haitian immigrant at my church tonight and he is trying to become a legal citizen here, but he is having difficulty staying here because he has to present certain documents that he currently doesn't have possession of and other stuff that I can't remember, it was all very complicated.

If he doesn't complete the procedure correctly though, he may have to go back to Haiti, and if you have ever been there (I have) its a total shithole. There are several people who are quite intelligent (at least among the Haitian people) and if they were able to get a solid education here they could go back and help their people, but the immigration process is so complex that it is incredibly difficult and hard to suffice the money to go.

It seems that if they had a less complex immigration process it would help a lot of other countries out. Yea I know there are negatives to doing that, but it makes America look really pretentious.

RaininThrees 01-05-2011 09:19 PM

Re: The process of becoming a legal immigrant is difficult

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilBTheBasedGod
I met this Haitian immigrant at my church tonight and he is trying to become a legal citizen here, but he is having difficulty staying here because he has to present certain documents that he currently doesn't have possession of and other stuff that I can't remember, it was all very complicated.

If he doesn't complete the procedure correctly though, he may have to go back to Haiti, and if you have ever been there (I have) its a total shithole. There are several people who are quite intelligent (at least among the Haitian people) and if they were able to get a solid education here they could go back and help their people, but the immigration process is so complex that it is incredibly difficult and hard to suffice the money to go.

It seems that if they had a less complex immigration process it would help a lot of other countries out. Yea I know there are negatives to doing that, but it makes America look really pretentious.

That's quite the backhanded (and slightly racist) compliment.

Showtime 01-05-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Hundreds of thousands of people apply to become citizens/various visas every single year. They have to have this process or so many people would be allowed. People seem to think that they are owed something regarding being here. Just because you want something doesn't mean you will get it.

LilBTheBasedGod 01-05-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaininThrees
That's quite the backhanded (and slightly racist) compliment.

I mean, thats just how it is. They don't even have sufficient medical treatment, let alone any decent education whatsoever.

chris2010 01-05-2011 09:29 PM

It is unfortunate. Im not saying just let them in no matter what. But at times the process actually encourages illegal immigration.

LilBTheBasedGod 01-05-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Showtime
Hundreds of thousands of people apply to become citizens/various visas every single year. They have to have this process or so many people would be allowed. People seem to think that they are owed something regarding being here. Just because you want something doesn't mean you will get it.

That doesn't make it right :confusedshrug:

Pretty easy to say when your inside too.

LilBTheBasedGod 01-05-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris2010
It is unfortunate. Im not saying just let them in no matter what. But at times the process actually encourages illegal immigration.

Thats what I am saying. And corporations pull in bundles by employing illegal immigrants who don't have SS, instead of paying a legal citizen. Seems to go hand in hand with the government.

DeronMillsap 01-05-2011 09:31 PM

Easiest way to come to the States is if you're a war refugee. A church or family will sponsor you here. I assume another way is through marriage but that's probably a bit hard too because US officials will question the relationship whether or not it's real.

Of all (legal) immigrant Americans I've known, they're all are good people. They're usually hard workers and self-employed.

LilBTheBasedGod 01-05-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeronMillsap
Easiest way to come to the States is if you're a war refugee. A church or family will sponsor you here. I assume another way is through marriage but that's probably a bit hard too because US officials will question the relationship whether or not it's real.

Of all (legal) immigrant Americans I've known, they're all are good people. They're usually hard workers and self-employed.

I wish there was a system for a college sponsorship fund so people from other countries could go back and help.

There might be one, but I haven't heard of one.

chris2010 01-05-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeronMillsap

:cheers: we need more people like that. Thats what makes this country great. When everyone works hard and isnt out to take advantage. If only it happened more often:(

Kumo 01-05-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Yeah, it does make it right.

Our system can't educate/provide for the world. We wouldn't exist as we are today if you allowed everyone in.

Showtime 01-05-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

That's my point: it's not "right" your way either. It serves a purpose. It's not "wrong" to not let a huge % of the population of the nation to come in (legally) every single year.

Quote:

There are plenty of other countries he could go to and have a better situation.

wheyhigh 01-05-2011 09:46 PM

most people don't understand how difficult the process really is. it's very easy to call the system "fair" if you are already a citizen....

Showtime 01-05-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheyhigh
most people don't understand how difficult the process really is. it's very easy to call the system "fair" if you are already a citizen....

Considering the number of people who try, it is fair. No other nation experiences the amount of people trying to gain access legally. They do let a lot of people in if you actually look at the numbers.

chris2010 01-05-2011 09:51 PM

I remember last year in Government class (i was a senior in high school) our teacher gave us a citizenship test like the 1st or 2nd day of class. I think me and one other person were the only ones to pass (i scored a 77 on it). In the end we took it again, I think still about half the class failed still :facepalm (but I got a 100).