Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sacramento Kings Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Petrie: Thumbs Up or Down? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20432)

LAZYBOY 12-04-2006 08:53 PM

Petrie: Thumbs Up or Down?

I was previously a huge fan of Petrie's moves. He got us Vlade and Webber, drafted J-Wil and Peja. I loved the draft of Hedo and Gerald Wallace. I've been a huge Bibby fan since college, so when he made the trade I was very impressed with that move. I never questioned anything he did. When he traded Christie for Cuttino....I didn't like it but I understood it. But then on a dark miserable night I flipped on the radio and heard we traded Webber for a bunch of scrubs. Truly the darkest night of my 20+ year life of a Kings fan, YES....even worse than the early/mid 90's of being the laughing stock of the NBA. Petrie's excuse was he'd be able to make more moves in the future with 3 smaller contracts over Webber's huge contract. He made this trade while rumors were circulating about Artest being traded for Peja. IMO - the WRONG deal was made. In any case, the past is the past and I have to live with that mistake. What is this guy waiting for? We cannot win with this team, anybody can see this. We might not even make the playoffs for the first time in years because the roster is filled with role players and no superstar. I admit he has made some great moves but what have you done for me lately? I'm not happy with the product on the floor and Iknow the Maloofs can't be happy either. What do you guys think?

Showtime 12-04-2006 09:23 PM

I think he is thinking long term and going for a big name this season/offseason. I think he will go after KG with a decent package of Bibby/Miller/SAR. If not, then I really don't know what to think. I think he has made horrible moves, like not protecting Wallace in the expansion, trading Doug and Bobby (who are healthy now BTW), and if he ends up being responsible for sending away young talent again (like trading Martin), then I will have lost all faith in his abilities.

Targus™ 12-04-2006 09:34 PM

if we trade bibby...who's gonna run the point as a starter?

BradMiller52 12-04-2006 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targus™
if we trade bibby...who's gonna run the point as a starter?

Why not Salmons?

Targus™ 12-04-2006 10:21 PM

so we go from an all-star at his best in mike bibby to a john salmons....do i have to go any further?

BradMiller52 12-04-2006 10:37 PM

There's a possibility we could also go from someone like Reef/Kenny to KG or Gasol if we put him and some other guys in a package.

What looks better:

Salmons/Martin/Artest/Gasol(or KG)/Miller

or

Bibby/Martin/Artest/KT/Miller

Showtime 12-04-2006 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targus™
so we go from an all-star at his best in mike bibby to a john salmons....do i have to go any further?

Bibby is far from his best. This is one of the worst seasons I've seen him play. He chucks up perimeter shots, doesn't get to the basket and finish, and the kings as a team are not better with Mike Bibby. How many more years of losing do we have to have? If I lose Bibby to get KG, I have no problems with that.

LAZYBOY 12-04-2006 11:08 PM

I would hate to see Bibby go but if it makes the team better I'm all for it. Which is why the Webber deal is garbage, it did not make the team better. We need a superstar, Bibby is a star, Artest is a star. If we have to trade Bibby for KG I can live with that. All I know is watching this team try to compete is like pulling teeth.

bigboi_baller 12-05-2006 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Showtime
Bibby is far from his best. This is one of the worst seasons I've seen him play. He chucks up perimeter shots, doesn't get to the basket and finish, and the kings as a team are not better with Mike Bibby. How many more years of losing do we have to have? If I lose Bibby to get KG, I have no problems with that.

Very true. Dare I say it, has bibby become a ball hog? He used to take open shots and feed off of webb, divac, and company. Now he shoots like he is the number one option; which he isn't talented enough to be. He is a stellar PG, but he shouldn't be a teams leading scorer shooting a horrible percentage.

BM52's point with trading bibby to get KG/Gasol/etc. is a very good one. I agree with him now but I'm not completely sold on how far the team could get with salmons exclusively running the PG. We would need price to get a lot better in a shortt amount of time, to make that work well.

bigkingsfan 12-05-2006 06:32 AM

Get off Webber's ****, the guy is currently horrible on the 76ers and have been on the declined for the last few years, next year he'll be useless. Some of Petrie's moves are questionable, but some players are not worth the risk, like Kenyon Martin... and we don't have the package available to land a superstar. Salmons was a great signing and I have no idea why we won't pursue a shot blocker, but lets remember our early 2000 teams didn't have one either, and came close to winning a ring, maybe he's trying to build a similar team. We had Skinner and let him go, so looks like it's not on his to-do list.

And the Bibby thing, it's unfair to assess him now, he looked great in preseason before the injury. Give the guy a break.

This team is losing games but they put up a great fight in the recent loss, without Artest. I just want to see everyone healthy then critique them.

LAZYBOY 12-05-2006 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Get off Webber's ****

Last year Webber averaged 20 points, 1.5 steals, 3.4 assists and 10 rebounds a game. This year he is having problems with the coach and an injury. He is still better than %90 of the Kings and by far better than anybody we traded him for. These are just facts not jockriding so bite your lip and don't act like we haven't felt the effects of a terrible trade. The Kings are on a bigger decline than Webber.

bigkingsfan 12-05-2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAZYBOY
Last year Webber averaged 20 points, 1.5 steals, 3.4 assists and 10 rebounds a game. This year he is having problems with the coach and an injury. He is still better than %90 of the Kings and by far better than anybody we traded him for. These are just facts not jockriding so bite your lip and don't act like we haven't felt the effects of a terrible trade. The Kings are on a bigger decline than Webber.

While shooting 43% , a career low. His other numbers are inflated because the 76ers have a weak frontcourt, so he's force to play big minutes. The guy simply does not have any impact on the game shortly after getting traded. And he was getting benched in the 4th quarter earlier this season because he's too slow for DEFENSE, yes we need a player like that. I'll take a healthy rotation of Shareef and KT over Webber at this point 10 out of 10 night. I have to agree the trade was terrible at the time, but you have to understand at this point Webber have absolutely no trade value, because he sucks.

bigboi_baller 12-05-2006 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAZYBOY

You obviously haven't watched webber play at all...bigkingsfan is right.

Stats aren't everything.

LAZYBOY 12-05-2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
You obviously haven't watched webber play at all...bigkingsfan is right.

Stats aren't everything.

I have watched him play, and you're crazy if you'd take kenny thomas over webber....insane

Showtime 12-05-2006 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Get off Webber's ****, the guy is currently horrible on the 76ers and have been on the declined for the last few years, next year he'll be useless.

Very true, but then again, we don't know how he would perform here, and he still is a defensive liability, but the kings still aren't winning, so it's not an improvement.

Quote:

Some of Petrie's moves are questionable, but some players are not worth the risk, like Kenyon Martin... and we don't have the package available to land a superstar. Salmons was a great signing and I have no idea why we won't pursue a shot blocker, but lets remember our early 2000 teams didn't have one either, and came close to winning a ring, maybe he's trying to build a similar team. We had Skinner and let him go, so looks like it's not on his to-do list.

The only way a smaller team works is being athletic and making shots, like the suns and warriors (both destroyed us). We have older, slower, unathletic guys like SAR, Miller, Bibby (slow for a PG), and the kings can't run-and-gun. The Kings team isn't built that way, so going small makes no sense.

Now, Muss and the Maloofs want defense and rebounding, yet we have no inside presence and the kings continually chuck shots when nobody is in a position to rebound. Does that make any sense??? Everything I've heard from the kings is exactly what they AREN'T doing on the court (and what they aren't built to do). WTF?

Quote:

And the Bibby thing, it's unfair to assess him now, he looked great in preseason before the injury. Give the guy a break.

This team is losing games but they put up a great fight in the recent loss, without Artest. I just want to see everyone healthy then critique them.

The problem is they aren't doing the little things and doing stupid things that cost games that pros souldn't do (miss FT's, turnovers, selfish play, rebounding/second chance points, missing layups, bad shot selection, etc.). Unfair to assess? As long as they are on the floor, contributing to either a winning or loosing effort, I can and will assess them.