Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   XBOX 360 - The Red Ring of Death (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20465)

final.wrath 12-04-2006 11:29 PM

XBOX 360 - The Red Ring of Death

I just got the red ring that means theres a hardware problem... luckily I have a warranty where I can just exchange the broken one for a new one at Best Buy.

I think it might have overheated. It was sitting on the top of the computer monitor and I think constant use of both things at once just overheated the xbox...

has anyone else had this problem before? I'm hoping I can keep my hard drive so I won't lose all my data.

gsxr1kryder 12-05-2006 01:48 AM

the fact that this problem already has a nickname "the red ring of death" should tip you off.

i don't personally have an XBox 360, but i know of at least 2 people that had this problem. don't know if theirs was caused by overheating though. 1 of them said this happened one morning while it was loading a game.

both of them just returned the 360s to the store and got new ones.

jjswifty 12-05-2006 02:30 AM

this is sad. there are way too many defective xbox 360s out there.

jbot 12-05-2006 07:28 AM

it's still better than wasting $600 on a ps3.

rezznor 12-05-2006 07:56 AM

if you ever get this and you have no warranty, just buy a new one and return the old one.

gsxr1kryder 12-05-2006 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbot
it's still better than wasting $600 on a ps3.

i agree. sony is just trying to do too much with the ps3. plays music, blue ray discs, etc. who the hell cares? if i wanted to watch a movie, i'd buy a cheap ass dvd player for 29$ at walmart. trust me, i just bought one. if I'm buying a ps3,xbox, whatever, it's to play games on. that's it. nothing else.

ps3, i've heard from several people, the minute you buy it, you have to connect to their online thing and download an upgrade. for 600 bucks, and you can't even play it without upgrading.

stupid. although, i haven't talked to anybody yet that has said their ps3 has crashed like the Xbox 360 has with the red rings.

24/7 12-05-2006 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rezznor
if you ever get this and you have no warranty, just buy a new one and return the old one.

Lol does that ***** work? I can't imagine why it wouldn't but are there some stores that have the console's serial number on the receipt?

schyza 12-05-2006 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24/7
Lol does that ***** work? I can't imagine why it wouldn't but are there some stores that have the console's serial number on the receipt?

Indeed they do not on the but you just have to get crafty see I use to own a ps2 and I’m not sure if anyone else had the disk read error on there ps2 but I did about 6mo after I bought it and since I bought it from target it was out side there return policies I picked up a new one and took it home very carefully pulled the serial # sticker off the back it’s a sticker about 2” by 5” on the back of the system with the bar code. I just pulled the one off the old ps2 and slapped it on the new one and the new one on the old one put the old one (which was still looking new no scratches or dings) in the box for the one I had just bought and went the next morning and returned it like I had gotten it for a gift and it worked like a charm. :rockon:

jbot 12-05-2006 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rezznor

i'm not too sure about that. i think they scan the barcode on the system for verification. u could take it apart and swap out all the hardware...:ohwell:

bigboi_baller 12-05-2006 08:21 PM

If you get caught, can you get prosecuted for fraud?

I'm thinking about doing this with my nba 2k7 360 cd because my xbox ruined the cd.

Skywalker 12-05-2006 08:37 PM

No, I think they just phone and tell you that the game you sold was defective and give you a warning.

I had this but just went back to the store and swapped.

bigboi_baller 12-05-2006 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker
No, I think they just phone and tell you that the game you sold was defective and give you a warning.

I had this but just went back to the store and swapped.

I could imagine you innocently saying "O really? It was the wrong one?You don't say. I can't believe it. I'll come in and drop by the other ps2, which I just happen to have for no reason...Thanks for letting me know."

As soon as the calls over you throw the phone set through the closest window

Cool 12-05-2006 08:50 PM

I had this problem. I got the 360 the first day it came out. And it was not connecting the controllers and it turned red and went crazy on me. So I returned it and got a new. I returned it 3 times no joke before I got one that works. And now its working great.

final.wrath 12-06-2006 12:41 AM

i've heard about problems with the PS3 too. all new consoles have problems because the release the systems as early as they can. i'm glad i have my in store exchange policy though.