Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detroit Pistons Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   T-Mac At Point (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206407)

dd24 01-25-2011 02:18 AM

T-Mac At Point

So what does everyone think about T-Mac's play now that he's been starting at PG? He had a very nice game tonight. NY tried that experiment with him last year too and it kind of worked but I think he just wasn't quite healthy enough yet. If he can keep giving us good nights I hope we have a chance to resign him. This was really just a season for him to prove himself so he could get back to a contender, but I think with a few moves Detroit could still be back in the thick of things. Ideally on a championship contender I think he should be coming off the bench. Nonetheless, it's good to see T-Mac getting some playing time and even though he hasn't been amazing like we remember him he's still playing decent and giving us something to look forward to.

Kombo 01-25-2011 01:59 PM

Re: T-Mac At Point

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
So what does everyone think about T-Mac's play now that he's been starting at PG? He had a very nice game tonight. NY tried that experiment with him last year too and it kind of worked but I think he just wasn't quite healthy enough yet. If he can keep giving us good nights I hope we have a chance to resign him. This was really just a season for him to prove himself so he could get back to a contender, but I think with a few moves Detroit could still be back in the thick of things. Ideally on a championship contender I think he should be coming off the bench. Nonetheless, it's good to see T-Mac getting some playing time and even though he hasn't been amazing like we remember him he's still playing decent and giving us something to look forward to.

I still don't think teams will be overly aggressive in signing him this off season. I don't think he'll go for the minimum again, and I also don't think teams will want to use their midlevel on him.

He's been very solid, and is filling a huge need for us. I really hope he gives us a chance, as we were really the only team that believed in him. At the same time, I keep expecting him to be used in a trade.

I think this really shows how bad we need a true point. I wanted Felton bad and he's had a great year, but I'll be honest with myself and realize he would not have been the player he is now if he was playing in our system.

I think McGrady is a very good "gap" player at the PG, and he sells tickets and has people tune in that usually wouldn't for Detroit games. He deserves a winner, and who knows how long his body can hold up. I wouldn't be surprised to see him packaged with Hamilton if a team needs a little extra incentive to take on Rip.

tbrulz 01-25-2011 02:15 PM

Glad the Stuckey at PG experiment is finally over. Think he's much better suited for SG, but Gordon gets the shaft once again.

As for T-Mac, happy for his recovery. Arnie really works miracles. But I don't see T-Mac resigning with us. We are a team rebuilding and think T-Mac deserves to play with a contender.

The problem with trading T-mac is that his contract is so low and it's basically an expiring. At best T-Mac could probably net a LOW LOW LOW first round pick or a second rounder. Best if he could be packaged with a RIP or Tay or Rip&Tay deal.

dd24 01-25-2011 03:58 PM

The more T-Mac starts and the more he keeps playing well the more teams are going to want him. Not as a starter of course but I could see a team like Miami, LA, Dallas, or another contender wanting him to come off the bench. At this point in his career I'm sure he just wants a championship. I wouldn't think Detroit would use him as trade bait, but for the right person I'm sure they'd make anyone available.

As far as the Stuckey comments, he played great at PG and SG. The problems we had in the back court obviously wasn't from him playing PG. It's more obvious to me that we had problems at SG, mainly with guys like Gordon. It seems like Gordon and Stuckey really don't play well together. Rip was injured the majority of last season and this season he hasn't played much. I think it's tough to say how well they could have gelled in the back court together.