Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mike James, most disappointing FA pickup thus far? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20682)

LakersDynasty 12-06-2006 06:25 AM

Mike James, most disappointing FA pickup thus far?

Man did this guy drop off his production quickly, I guess the Timberwolves aren't a team that is much talked about other than KG but I find it interesting that no one has mentioned how awful of a free agent signing Mike James has been for that team. He, along with Foye was supposed to put the Wolves back on the map and assure them a playoff spot, but it looks like they'll be missing the playoffs again, Garnett doesn't have enough help around him. He was probably the most talked about FA during the off-season other than Wallace and maybe Bonzi.

To give everyone a better picture, he has gone from averaging 20.3 points, 5.8 assists and 46.9% shooting to 11.8 points, 4.3 assists and 44.2%. I really thought he could help the Wolves clinch the division title given his great play post ASB last year, and the fact that the Wolves were lacking a good scorer that could take pressure off of KG, but he's been a huge mistake so far for the Wolves.

Another dumb move by McHale or will he improve throughout the season? Thoughts please.

hawkfan 12-06-2006 07:02 AM

Mike James has been a major disappointment.

So has Ben Wallace so far.

ManUtd 12-06-2006 07:08 AM

Mike James will average 30-10. Just watch..

kwajo 12-06-2006 09:12 AM

can anyone say "Playing for a contract?"

Milkman 12-06-2006 09:25 AM

Playing for a contract?

JtotheIzzo 12-06-2006 09:50 AM

Mike James is a classic example of why winning is important to a players overall value and ranking.

People on here like to quote stats all day long, but hell, if a bad team gets beat 100-90 someone has to score soem of the ninety and playing for a bad team is an easy way to pad stats.

Toronto was a bad team, someone had to shoot, whynot a shoot first point guard?

How do you think Stephon got such good stats.

Good players are rarely on bad teams.

bigboi_baller 12-06-2006 09:52 AM

Big Ben is a much bigger disappointment than James. Everyone knows James numbers would go down in Minny because he had soo much control of the ball in Toronto and other than Bosh, there weren't any better options.

PMshooter 12-06-2006 10:06 AM

If you're dissapointed by Mike James, you weren't paying attention to his game, and were just looking at his stats.

huppcap 12-06-2006 10:12 AM

He was a decent player playing on a bad team last year. He got hot at some point during the year and road it until the end of the season. He was more hype than anything in the off-seson free agent market. He said he wanted to prove he is the best guard in the league. Whatever. Most players with his ability on a top 4 conference team would have been the 3rd or 4th guy off the bench last year. He probably should not be starting for Minnesota. He got his contract and is happy. Unlike Latrell Sprewell he can feed his family.

rezznor 12-06-2006 10:15 AM

we still could have used MJ as our 3rd scorer.

DoubleTech 12-06-2006 10:42 AM

mike hasn't been doing so hot, but ben has been worse... especially when you look at the expected impact of said player and how much he just got paid.

saKf 12-06-2006 10:49 AM

James is shooting good percentages, he's just not taking a whole bunch of shots. Having Mark Blount, Ricky Davis and Troy Hudson for teammates will do that to you.

kwajo 12-06-2006 10:53 AM

but saKf, I thought you loved Troy Hudson ???

saKf 12-06-2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwajo
but saKf, I thought you loved Troy Hudson ???

That kind of joke hurts my heart.

MaxFly 12-06-2006 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
Big Ben is a much bigger disappointment than James.

Agreed. Chicago believed that Ben would be an instant contributor, taking them deep into the playoffs, and the amount they paid backed up that belief. How's that going for them?