Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anyone have any tips to trying to fall asleep? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207339)

Naruto-sama 02-01-2011 09:34 AM

Anyone have any tips to trying to fall asleep?

I have some nights where i can't make the transition from consciousness to pure sleep way too often. What happens is i know i'm tired, i want to close my eyes and sleep, but when i close them my brain is still functioning and its like i can open my eyes and not really feel like i slept at all. I have gone full nights where i'll be trying to sleep and have my eyes closed then its time to go to work and i open my eyes like i was conscious the whole night feeling like i barely slept. When this happens i feel slightly like i slept, and better than if i had stayed up all night with my eyes open, but nothing like getting a true sleep.
To me a full sleep is when i feel groggy in the morning and its hard to get up because i slept so well but i feel very refreshed.

I feel like i've tried everything but don't want to take sleeping pills or anything like that. Maybe exercises or things you think about to help you transition into a deep sleep? Maybe even positional sleeping positions that may help? I need to figure out a way to be able to get to sleep when i want to. Its real bad if i have something important to do the next day and lack of sleep really hurts my functioning.

8BeastlyXOIAD 02-01-2011 09:38 AM

Re: Anyone have any tips to trying to fall asleep?

These are same one's Michael took

Joking, I have no idea

golddigger31 02-01-2011 09:52 AM

I always just get really comfortable then focus on my breathing. When your breathing slows, your heart rate slows

rufuspaul 02-01-2011 09:58 AM

Do you have a hot tub or bathtub? If I soak in the hot tub for 10-15 min then get in bed and read for awhile as my body cools down I drift right off into dream land.

niko 02-01-2011 10:01 AM

Be tried. Avoid things that make you think too deeply for an hour or two prior to sleep. Yuo can't play video games, watch movies, get your brain all moving then say shut off. I'm like that. My brain is moving even though I'm asleep. It's absolutely terrible and so unrestful. I need to chill before hand. I'll take out the garbage, mull around, talk to my wife, put my clothes away,. take a quick shower, anything non cerebral.

ItsMillerTime 02-01-2011 10:16 AM

Smoke a lil bit of good mary jane before bed. Works for me.

Myth 02-01-2011 06:28 PM

- Breathing techniques.

- Get a white noise machine or something that makes a steady rhythmic sound.

- Focus techniques also work. Go through your 5 senses and name 5 things that you can identify in the moment. Start with visual things because that is the only one that requires your eyes being open. If you are focusing well enough, you may hopefully fall asleep before going through all 25.

- Also, do you have a TV, use your computer, or other activities in your bedroom? Your body can associate the room with being a place where you should be awake if it is also use to doing those other activities. The general rule of thumb is that if you have insomnia issues at all (or want to prevent future ones), don't use your room for anything except sleep and sex. If you must be in your room for things like TV or computer use, at least be a chair or at a desk rather than in bed.

- A simple one would be cut out caffeine use if you drink it.

- If you are in bed for 15-20 minutes and you don't feel close to falling asleep, get up for 5-10 minutes, then try again. At a certain point, you may become fixated on not being able to fall asleep, so getting up and doing anything (TV?) can sort of reset your mind so you can try again.

- Finally, seek professional help if those others don't help

Premeditated 02-01-2011 06:31 PM

If you have a good laptop of computer.

this:http://www.rainymood.com/

Bobcat4Ever 02-01-2011 06:32 PM

Watching TV/Movie and having the fan on always works for me.

code green 02-01-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myth
- Breathing techniques.

- Get a white noise machine or something that makes a steady rhythmic sound.

- Focus techniques also work. Go through your 5 senses and name 5 things that you can identify in the moment. Start with visual things because that is the only one that requires your eyes being open. If you are focusing well enough, you may hopefully fall asleep before going through all 25.

- Also, do you have a TV, use your computer, or other activities in your bedroom? Your body can associate the room with being a place where you should be awake if it is also use to doing those other activities. The general rule of thumb is that if you have insomnia issues at all (or want to prevent future ones), don't use your room for anything except sleep and sex. If you must be in your room for things like TV or computer use, at least be a chair or at a desk rather than in bed.

- A simple one would be cut out caffeine use if you drink it.

- If you are in bed for 15-20 minutes and you don't feel close to falling asleep, get up for 5-10 minutes, then try again. At a certain point, you may become fixated on not being able to fall asleep, so getting up and doing anything (TV?) can sort of reset your mind so you can try again.

- Finally, seek professional help if those others don't help

I've suffered from insomnia for about 4 years now, and this post nicely sums up everything i've been told. i take a mild anxiety pill i've been prescribed, but i don't think you need it if it's not every night. i swear by my sleep sound generator...i bought it for $100 from Brookstone, and it works just as well as it says it does. I bought this one (http://www.hammacher.com/Product/60586) for my girlfriend and one for my mom, and both of them love theirs. It's half the price and works just as well.

oh, and mary jane, ftw.

ZeN 02-01-2011 06:35 PM

I use two tea bags.. It may not knock you out but it will help relax you, and possibly help along with any other methods you may be using.

NauruDude 02-01-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naruto-sama
I have some nights where i can't make the transition from consciousness to pure sleep way too often. What happens is i know i'm tired, i want to close my eyes and sleep, but when i close them my brain is still functioning and its like i can open my eyes and not really feel like i slept at all. I have gone full nights where i'll be trying to sleep and have my eyes closed then its time to go to work and i open my eyes like i was conscious the whole night feeling like i barely slept. When this happens i feel slightly like i slept, and better than if i had stayed up all night with my eyes open, but nothing like getting a true sleep.
To me a full sleep is when i feel groggy in the morning and its hard to get up because i slept so well but i feel very refreshed.

I feel like i've tried everything but don't want to take sleeping pills or anything like that. Maybe exercises or things you think about to help you transition into a deep sleep? Maybe even positional sleeping positions that may help? I need to figure out a way to be able to get to sleep when i want to. Its real bad if i have something important to do the next day and lack of sleep really hurts my functioning.

I always rap a EmminEm song before I go to sleep, usually When I'm Gone. It makes me sad and lonely and want to sleep and meybe die.

BRabbiT 02-01-2011 06:54 PM

i've had trouble sleeping for years.

having a sleep routine works for me. winding down is big. your brain will get the hint.

sixerfan82 02-01-2011 06:55 PM

Glass of wine or a beer usually works for me, probably because it's relaxing.

Crown&Coke 02-01-2011 06:58 PM

fapping always works for me, and its relaxing.

Ganja doesn't do it for me, it makes me tired, but not sleepy.