Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209382)

Euroleague 02-17-2011 03:27 PM

David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout
 
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6125242

Some of the main topics Stern addressed during the interview include:

Whether the NBA will try to prevent locked-out players such as Kobe Bryant and Dirk Nowitzki, while still under contract to their NBA teams, from playing abroad during a potential work stoppage

"If, in fact, there's a lockout, then the player is free during the course of the lockout to do what he wants to do if his contract is in effect. I don't want to play that game with anybody. ... If we have a collective bargaining arrangement with the union and there's a lockout, then last time around [in 1998] players were free to do what they're going to do, because they've been locked out."


----------------------------------------------------------

Once again, all the NBA only fans here get exposed with their NBA fairy tale myths that, "NBA players can't sign in Europe during the lockout if they are under contract.'

boozehound 02-17-2011 03:31 PM

Re: David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout
 
well, only people with poor information thought that. Its been clear under FIBA rules that the NBA has no rights to restrict players from working for other leagues during a lockout.

It will be interesting to see what happens if there is a lockout. How many non-euro players will go overseas to make some bank?

Javat_90 02-17-2011 03:32 PM

Re: David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout
 
God, we get it already.

Dumb american fans dont know it: the NBA sucks and the Euroleague is awesome.

Is He Ill 02-17-2011 03:37 PM

Re: David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout
 
Who cares though? The Euroleague is a softer and inferior product. It wouldn't be for very long timespan anyway. The NBA is where it's at playboy.

griffmoney1784 02-17-2011 03:40 PM

Re: David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout
 
lebron and kobe on the same team?

might be the only way lebron will ever win a championship

WesWelkerACL 02-17-2011 03:41 PM

Re: David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout
 
I hope it happens than, would be fun to see.

Clutch 02-17-2011 03:43 PM

Re: David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout
 
They should all come to Cibona Zagreb.

Club has financial problems,they should play for free and help Croatian club to win Euroleague :bowdown:

just kidding

chris2010 02-17-2011 03:52 PM

Re: David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout
 
If alot of the nba players went overseas next year, do you think there is any chance of these games being televised on like ESPN etc?

DeronMillsap 02-17-2011 03:56 PM

Re: David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout
 
I just can't see the NBA having a lockout seeing that the league is on the rise.

DuMa 02-17-2011 04:02 PM

Re: David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout
 
non-foreign (im not including non-US north american players like nash/duncan etc) players who say theyre going overseas if theres a lockout are really just putting up empty threats to the owners to get a deal done. owners would really shit their pants if there was a lockout and their stars go overseas and potentially get injured.

its just another threat to get a deal done sooner than the deadline

bdreason 02-17-2011 04:07 PM

Re: David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout
 
This doesn't change the fact that the leagues are going to respect each others contracts. If FIBA starts poaching NBA players during a lockout, then the NBA will never honor FIBA contracts again. I doubt FIBA Basketball is looking to go to war with the NBA.


Now that I think about it, the NBA would probably love it if FIBA ignored their contracts and let a few guys play in Europe during a lockout. This would mean the NBA is free to poach players from around the world without worrying about their contracts.

gts 02-17-2011 04:17 PM

Re: David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout
 
the FIBA teams would still need a waiver from the contract holders NBA team to play in euro and FIBA itself would still need to approve the move... stern is just saying that if the players get the proper paperwork in place they can go play overseas and the NBA wont try and stop them

NoGunzJustSkillz 02-17-2011 04:47 PM

Re: David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gts
the FIBA teams would still need a waiver from the contract holders NBA team to play in euro and FIBA itself would still need to approve the move... stern is just saying that if the players get the proper paperwork in place they can go play overseas and the NBA wont try and stop them

nope, that's not what he's saying...

boozehound 02-17-2011 04:59 PM

Re: David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdreason
This doesn't change the fact that the leagues are going to respect each others contracts. If FIBA starts poaching NBA players during a lockout, then the NBA will never honor FIBA contracts again. I doubt FIBA Basketball is looking to go to war with the NBA.


Now that I think about it, the NBA would probably love it if FIBA ignored their contracts and let a few guys play in Europe during a lockout. This would mean the NBA is free to poach players from around the world without worrying about their contracts.

nope. IIRC nba contracts are under fiba jurisdiction, as fiba doesnt actually run any of the leagues. but thats besides the point. The nba players are not under contract in the event of a lockout. it would be the same as nba players signing foreign ballers who's contracts had expired or under a lockout.

gts 02-17-2011 05:13 PM

Re: David Stern: All NBA Players Can Sign In Europe If There Is A Lockout
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boozehound
nope. IIRC nba contracts are under fiba jurisdiction, as fiba doesnt actually run any of the leagues. but thats besides the point. The nba players are not under contract in the event of a lockout. it would be the same as nba players signing foreign ballers who's contracts had expired or under a lockout.

actually they are still under contract, they are considered valid in the case of a lockout... the only way the contracts can be voided is if the union decertifies itself, then if the contracts were actually void, then the players would lose their health insurance and any money in the pension funds the owners have addd to

this was an area of contention in the last nfl strike and a court upheld that despite there being a lockout all parties were still held to any contracts they were under... strikes and lockouts are treated as work stoppages not actions that void past deals made because the lockout or strike concerns the future


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy