Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anyone Been Vietnam (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212232)

LiLharvard 03-07-2011 04:48 AM

Anyone Been Vietnam

i'm going to vietnam on the 13th was wondering if anybody knew any hotspots for shopping.. whats it like down there.. can you get heaps of fake stuff like rolex's etc stuff like that .. is it really cheap?

LiLharvard 03-07-2011 04:51 AM

Re: Anyone Been Vietnam

Quote:

Originally Posted by kputs
You can get blowjobs for a buck

:lol

DeronMillsap 03-07-2011 08:17 AM

Never been to Vietnam but I've been to Southeast Asia.

The traffic is f'ed up, almost everybody are on motorbikes. They don't even follow the traffic signal half the time. That's probably where the Asians can't drive stereotype comes from. :lol Don't know about BJs costing a buck but massages cost about $10. That's all I'mma say. :D Vietnam is a little more advance though so it could be a bit higher.

It's a nice big country from what I know, similar to California in shape & size/area, so it'll depend on where you're at when looking for hotspots.

There are Vietnamese-American posters on this board, maybe they'll tell you more about that country.

rezznor 03-07-2011 04:32 PM

i've been there. your experiences will vary depending on where you go, here are some thoughts and observations.

*beaches are beautiful. powder white sand. you can go shoulder deep into the ocean and still see your toes.

*for a communist country, it certainly doesn't feel like it. everyone is hustling there. the reality is, day-to-day there is more pure capitalism then in the US.

*the people are friendly, but you will be treated better in the south then in the north (obvious reasons) but still, people don't really linger on the war. in fact, much of the population weren't even alive during it.

* it's a third world country, but certain parts of it are very modern. they have some great nightclubs if you know where to go. you will see beautiful girls there but more average ones when in the streets.

* very easy to hook up since you are from the states. there are plenty of hookers too, but if you are even half way decent looking it shouldn't be a problem to score a legit chick.

* the food is good, but as with any third world country be careful of where you eat to make sure it's sanitary. the cuisine will vary anywhere from the stuff they have here in the states to more ..."exotic" fare. up to you on how adventurous you wanna be. personally, i don't eat any of the nasty shit.

* the trip can be very very cheap, and pretty expensive, it all depends on where you go and what you do. if you stick with with the local stuff then you can live like a king on a modest budget.

* knock offs are everywhere, don't worry about finding them, the vendors will find you.

* it is crazy crowded in the larger cities, especially Saigon. There is just a mass of people everywhere and the streets can be confusing. don't try to drive, just hire a personal driver to take you everywhere, it'll be worth it.

* it is hot and humid, but cool in the evenings (relatively)

if i can think of anything else i'll add it.

Jasi 03-07-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rezznor
i've been there. your experiences will vary depending on where you go, here are some thoughts and observations.

*beaches are beautiful. powder white sand. you can go shoulder deep into the ocean and still see your toes.

*for a communist country, it certainly doesn't feel like it. everyone is hustling there. the reality is, day-to-day there is more pure capitalism then in the US.

*the people are friendly, but you will be treated better in the south then in the north (obvious reasons) but still, people don't really linger on the war. in fact, much of the population weren't even alive during it.

* it's a third world country, but certain parts of it are very modern. they have some great nightclubs if you know where to go. you will see beautiful girls there but more average ones when in the streets.

* very easy to hook up since you are from the states. there are plenty of hookers too, but if you are even half way decent looking it shouldn't be a problem to score a legit chick.

* the food is good, but as with any third world country be careful of where you eat to make sure it's sanitary. the cuisine will vary anywhere from the stuff they have here in the states to more ..."exotic" fare. up to you on how adventurous you wanna be. personally, i don't eat any of the nasty shit.

* the trip can be very very cheap, and pretty expensive, it all depends on where you go and what you do. if you stick with with the local stuff then you can live like a king on a modest budget.

* knock offs are everywhere, don't worry about finding them, the vendors will find you.

* it is crazy crowded in the larger cities, especially Saigon. There is just a mass of people everywhere and the streets can be confusing. don't try to drive, just hire a personal driver to take you everywhere, it'll be worth it.

* it is hot and humid, but cool in the evenings (relatively)

if i can think of anything else i'll add it.

Nice info... I'll be going there in honeymoon in two months, so this will be helpful! Thanks

rezznor 03-07-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasi
Nice info... I'll be going there in honeymoon in two months, so this will be helpful! Thanks

congrats man! hope you have fun.

Patrick Chewing 03-07-2011 05:05 PM

In Vietnam the wind doesn't blow, it sucks.

beermonsteroo 03-07-2011 05:15 PM

Don't say you are American, they hate you.

DuMa 03-07-2011 05:24 PM

watch top gear vietnam special

Ben Jordan 03-07-2011 05:51 PM

Friends have told me that there is a feeling among the vietnamese that americans owe them for the war and their current living situation. they said that often times they'd get ripped off by vendors and restaurants purely for being american. keep it in mind.

ballup 03-07-2011 05:59 PM

I've been to northern Vietnam many years ago and there's a whole lot of poverty. I remember being swarmed by a whole group of kids begging for anything, even my water bottle that was 3/4 empty. As always, be wary of products bought off the streets.

DaHeezy 03-07-2011 06:50 PM

If a chick says she's on the rag, that's the ones you got to hit!

northwinds 03-07-2011 07:26 PM

Yeah, I've "been Vietnam" a couple of times for Halloween....but I like my Superman costume better.....geez

Cowboy Thunder 03-07-2011 07:42 PM

Just remember people over there lived through this. Be careful.

:(

rezznor 03-07-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beermonsteroo
Don't say you are American, they hate you.

wrong. maybe in the north but definitely not in the south