Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   POLL: Who's your all-time favourite Knick? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213108)

Jasi 03-12-2011 11:54 AM

POLL: Who's your all-time favourite Knick?

Mine has to be Willis Reed.
Championships captain + that EPIC moment in 1970 finals + career 19/13 :bowdown:

(Not that I was there to see that, but I've read and watched quite a lot on the past Knicks history.)

So what is yours?
One name only.

UPDATE

4 votes
Patrick Ewing

1 vote
Willis Reed
Rod Strickland
Walt Frazier
Bernard King
Latrell Sprewell

It seems Pat wins this one.

knickscity 03-12-2011 12:18 PM

Re: POLL: Who's your all-time favourite Knick?

I can only go by who I have seen personally.......

Ewing for me, and there is no close second yet.

If Ewing could have had a complementary piece like Amar'e has with Melo, he would have had at least one ring.

Clutch 03-12-2011 01:03 PM

I am still young so I didn't have opportunity to watch Reed or Ewing.

I will yet have to decide who is the best Knick that I have watched between Melo and Stoudemire.

franchize 03-12-2011 01:18 PM

Personal Favorites:

Rod Strickland.I grew up wearing #11 n ppl always thought it was Isaiah Thomas but it was really because that was Strickland's # when he was a rookie.I met him when I was little and it was like meeting the pope for me lol. I still think he was the best player never to make an all star game.

Stephon Marbury-Even though his tenure here was as bad as one's could get, during my teenage years,Marbury was always my favorite player once Strickland got old.In my parent's house,my old room is still covered in magazine cutouts of Marbury.It was a borderline man-crush lol (pause).I tried to play like him,I shot jumpshots like him...you name it.If my daughter ended up being a son,his middle name was going to be Stephon.I still think he got an unfair stigma as a bust.We ran him outta town as much as he did.

Bernard King-I didnt get to watch much of his stuff live because I was so young but I remember a few games.I also watch so much vintage footage. King and Anthony's games are so similar.It's no wonder Melo says that was his favorite player.King was an all time great and not only did he get a raw deal from the Knicks but he should be in over Scottie Pippen on the 50 greatest players list!

Trent Tucker-he wasn't all that good but he reminds me of my very early years of watching basketball.Not one of my favorites per se but I did convince my mom to name my brother after him lol

Carmelo Anthony-he's already become a fav of mine.Beyond the fact that he is an all time great scorer,he just seems like a cool guy.He seems like a guy I would hang out with.Amare too.Im glad we got him instead of LeBron in retrospect.Not that LeBron isn't better but he's a total douche bag.

If I had to choose one though,I'd have to say Rod Strickland.When other ppl were putting up posters rappers on their wall from Word Up magazines and Vibe,and Jordan,I was getting cut outs from magazines of Rod Strickland!

NY-Knicks 03-12-2011 01:28 PM

It's really tough since there are so many great players who I've never seen play before.

Some of my favorites are actually Stephon Marbury and Jamal Crawford. I know those were the worst years ever, but I liked those guys.

These days it's Amar'e, Carmelo and Wilson from earlier in the year of course. Honorable mention is Landry Fields.

But all-time?

Walt Frazier for me.

Jasi 03-12-2011 02:31 PM

OP updated!

We need more votes!

Rameek 03-12-2011 03:12 PM

Its been difficult to do this because usually the players the knicks had werent drafted all stars but mostly acquired talent. I think thats what tough to find players to have as all time favorites.

Bernard King, Patrick Ewing, Latrell Sprewell.

Jasi 03-12-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rameek
Its been difficult to do this because usually the players the knicks had werent drafted all stars but mostly acquired talent. I think thats what tough to find players to have as all time favorites.

Pick one please :D

knickscity 03-12-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rameek

What does this have to do with the thread guy?

Hmm

Willis Reed, Ewing, Clyde....

That's three that were drafted by the Knicks and if anyone was born in the 80's at least would remember Ewing playoff years.

Their has been plenty of players who has played for the Knicks.

Stop being a stooge and pick somebody.:D

mjc1241 03-12-2011 09:33 PM

Picking one it would be Bernard King. UNREAL scoring ability and for a three year stretch back from '82-'85, he was the best small forward in the game. Larry Bird's words, not mine.. I believe that it was one of those NBA TV one hour specials on Bernard and as part of an interview that was done at that time, Larry Bird unequivocally stated that he thought Bernard was the best SF in the game. Averaged 26.6 PPG during that time WITHOUT the use of the three point shot. The record that LeBron broke when playing against the Pistons and he scored like 27 points in a row was set by Bernard with 25 straight against the '84 Bad Boy Pistons. Much more physical defenses back then and hand checking; not like this pitty pat shit of today. Scored 50, 50 and 38 during the Texas Triangle (SA, Dallas and Houston). Averaged over 42 points per game in the Pistons series, and single handedly almost beat the Celtics after beating the Pistons. Was averaging 32.9 and on the way easily to the scoring title when he blew his knee out against SAC in the 55th game. One of the only players to score 50 points for three different teams. Averaged 28.4 PPG the year before he RETIRED with the Bullets. Knicks screwed him by not re-signing him when they drafted Patrick after rehabbing for two years to get back. One of the worst decisions the Knicks have ever made and he would routinely come back to torch the Knicks when he was with the Bullets. Here are my personal rankings as unfortunately I did not get a chance to see Willis, Clyde, Earl, Bradley, Debuschere, or Richie Geurin play:
1. Bernard King (reasons above)
http://www.nba.com/history/players/kingb_bio.html
http://www.nba.com/history/players/kingb_stats.html
2. Patrick Ewing - heart and soul of the Knicks and would have won a ring if they gave him better players.
3. LJ - a freak!!!! Watch the videos of him in is prime. Yesteryear's Blake Griffin with a jump shot and a hell of alot more moves.
4. Starks - best in game dunk against the Bulls EVER!!!!!!! Crazy as shit but came from nowhere to making an All Star team in '94.
5. Spree - played at SF out of position but showed heart in NY after people thought he would blow a gasket in NY after choking PJ Carlesimo in GS.
6. Houston - one of the sweetest jumpers in the league ever and hit the improbable shot against Miami.

EDIT****
7. Mase- 6'7" point forward from Queens Bridge that was actually one of the best ballhandlers in the NBA at his peak and matchup nightmare at Small Forward. He and Oak were the meanest tandem of forwards at the time in the league. Mean as in you did not want to try and try and act badass with these cats...

During the summer, check on some of the videos of these cats on NBA TV and MSG. Their skill sets were unreal. More on Bernard:

"1983-84 Knicks: The 1984 Knicks finished with a 47-35 record, but it is not what they did in the regular season that sticks out. It is what they did in the postseason. They were led by Hubie Brown who had a strong mind for the game of basketball. Players like Rory Sparrow and Ray Williams at guard, Louis Orr, big Truck Robinson and Bill Cartwright clogging the middle, however as good as all those players were, there was no one in Knicks history that had the scoring ability of Bernard King. That is right Melo fans i said it. Bernard perhaps is one of the most underated scorers this league has ever seen and in a first round playoff series against the Isiah Thomas led pistons Bernard King put on a show when it counted most.

Bernard averaged over 42 points through four games and in a deciding game 5 in Detroit with Thomas exploding for 16 points in the final 94 seconds, yes you heard me 16 in the final 94 and not letting the Pistons go without a fight Bernard saved his best for last in what I believe in the greatest first round playoff game ever. Bernard willed the Knicks to victory with 48 and then they faced off against the heavily favored Boston Celtics led by Bird, McHale, and Parish. The Knicks fought tooth and nail before the Celtics won in a grueling seven games.

The Celtics would eventually go on to win he title by beating the Lakers in seven, but the Knicks of 84 gave them just as good of a fight as anyone else that year and with the best closer the Knicks have ever had it would be pretty illogical to not include this Knick team as one of the greatest ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOy_mGcL5wM&feature=related"

Oren 03-12-2011 10:02 PM

Patrick Ewing

percelloveknicks 03-13-2011 12:05 AM

Spreewell

Scoooter 03-13-2011 01:52 AM

Grew up with Ewing. Loved that man. John Starks too. And LJ. I dug Gallo. Obviously I love Amar'e.

I don't remeber Bernard King and Frazier and Reed were before my time, but I grew up hearing about them.

earlofupstate 03-13-2011 03:07 AM

Re: POLL: Who's your all-time favorite Knick?

Patrick Ewing.

Jasi 03-13-2011 10:20 AM

I take Scooter's vote is Ewing?

Anyways, Pat is the winner unless other Knicks fan show up and vote.