Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Demar Derozan's 2nd dunk in the contest... (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213967)

TMAC-RAPTORS 03-17-2011 11:20 PM

Demar Derozan's 2nd dunk in the contest...

I was looking at a video, and I saaw Leslie do the exact saame dunk as the one Derozan did for the dunk contest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEqoc...el_video_title @ 1:20
:applause: awesome duunk

bokes15 03-20-2011 11:49 AM

Re: Demar Derozan's 2nd dunk in the contest...

I was just about to make a new thread about Demar, but I decided to just put it in here since nobody has responded to this thread. There's a video up about him on the NBA.com front page. http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...s=iref:nbahpt1

While I do still feel there are some limitations to his game, for the SG position I still see him as borderline starter material and he's still a young dude and only in his 2nd year.

Toni 03-20-2011 01:37 PM

It's because he's not a good playmaker, rebounder or 3 point shooter for the position. I hope he can develop those areas of his game to go along with the rest of his abilities to become a serviceable starting SG in the near future.

I think the Desmond Mason comparison is pretty accurate so far though. Desmond's best career season;

36 MIN
17.2 PGG (44%/12%/80%)
3.9 RPG
2.7 APG
0.7 SPG
0.3 BPG

Demar this season;

34.5 MPG
16.6 PPG (47%/8%/80%)
3.6 RPG
1.8 APG
.9 SPG
.4 BPG

Both of their stats are pretty comparable. Decent amount of scoring on decent FG%, extremely poor 3FG%, and barely anything from other stats like rebounding, assists, steals and blocks.

Those numbers scream bench player so far to me (Same with Bargnani), but he still has time to prove me wrong (Unlike Bargnani).

DJMason 03-20-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni
It's because he's not a good playmaker, rebounder or 3 point shooter for the position. I hope he can develop those areas of his game to go along with the rest of his abilities to become a serviceable starting SG in the near future.

I think the Desmond Mason comparison is pretty accurate so far though. Desmond's best career season;

36 MIN
17.2 PGG (44%/12%/80%)
3.9 RPG
2.7 APG
0.7 SPG
0.3 BPG

Demar this season;

34.5 MPG
16.6 PPG (47%/8%/80%)
3.6 RPG
1.8 APG
.9 SPG
.4 BPG

Both of their stats are pretty comparable. Decent amount of scoring on decent FG%, extremely poor 3FG%, and barely anything from other stats like rebounding, assists, steals and blocks.

Those numbers scream bench player so far to me (Same with Bargnani), but he still has time to prove me wrong (Unlike Bargnani).

The fact that DeRozan has already equalled Desmond Mason's best year in his second year as a 20-year old has to be encouraging though. I think DeRozan also has a better attitude/work ethic and therefore can still improve, especially as I'm seeing him get better/more confident as the season goes on.

I'll have faith in the kid for at least 2-3 more years while the team hopefully continues to suck and accumulate picks. Most players in the league don't just come in and tear sh!t up, and we knew DeRozan was raw and likely wouldn't. We won't go very far if he's the best player on our team, but with a super tallented 1 (we can dream it'll be Irving) and a proper centre I think he and Davis could start for us long-term.

bokes15 03-20-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJMason
The fact that DeRozan has already equalled Desmond Mason's best year in his second year as a 20-year old has to be encouraging though. I think DeRozan also has a better attitude/work ethic and therefore can still improve, especially as I'm seeing him get better/more confident as the season goes on.

I'll have faith in the kid for at least 2-3 more years while the team hopefully continues to suck and accumulate picks. Most players in the league don't just come in and tear sh!t up, and we knew DeRozan was raw and likely wouldn't. We won't go very far if he's the best player on our team, but with a super tallented 1 (we can dream it'll be Irving) and a proper centre I think he and Davis could start for us long-term.

I agree. This is almost exactly what I was gonna say. This is Demar's second season and he's 20 years old, those stats are from Mason's 6th season when he was 27-28 years old. Demar has a lot to learn and a lot of room for growth still and I think it's way too early to consider him a complete product. I don't ever expect him to become a playmaker, but I do expect steady improvements in his scoring ability, defense, and rebounding as time goes by and as he gets to play more important minutes. His work ethic, and his attitude alone are reasons why I don't think he'll max out at a peak of a guy like Desmond Mason.

bluerap 03-20-2011 02:47 PM

I haven't watched any raptor games this year (just can't stomach it).

I'm going to watch tonight because I love OKC and they are never televised.

I am curious though. What is demar's d like? He obviously has the athleticism to do the job. Does he have the desire?

Reef 03-20-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluerap

I am curious though. What is demar's d like? He obviously has the athleticism to do the job. Does he have the desire?

The commentators are always saying he practices his jumpshot like twice a day, even after team practices and games.

I'd say DeMar 's easily a starter and could potentially be an all-star at some point. Look at his scoring average every month this year:

November 45.9 FG% 11.9 ppg
December 48.1 FG% 15.9 ppg
January 44.2 FG% 18.5 ppg
February 51.5 FG% 18.9 ppg
March 50.0 FG% 20.9 ppg

He's still getting better every month. So I think we can expect him to be a 19-20 ppg scorer next year. His defense needs a lot of work, along with his rebounding. DeMar doesn't seem to have good lateral quickness. He gets beat on a lot of crossovers and has hard time fighting through picks. He needs to put on some muscle this offseason and extend his range out to 3. However, he's shown huge improvement from last year.

bokes15 03-20-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluerap

His defense isn't the greatest at this point, but I definitely don't see it as a lack of desire. I've seen many various interviews where he talks about studying lots of game film to where he looks to figure out ways to stop the elite SG's that he has to guard night in and night out. I think thathe's gonna continue to improve over time but he does have a lot to work on in the off-season. I really like the guy though and I would like to see him along with Ed Davis kept as part of our core moving forward.

Qwyjibo 03-20-2011 04:08 PM

He needs to either develop range on his shot or get to the line FAR more often than he does to be a good offensive player. You can't be a guard and just have a mid-range jumper. He also needs to get physically stronger so he can at least be somewhat of a factor on defense and the boards.

bokes15 03-20-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
He needs to either develop range on his shot or get to the line FAR more often than he does to be a good offensive player. You can't be a guard and just have a mid-range jumper. He also needs to get physically stronger so he can at least be somewhat of a factor on defense and the boards.

I think if history has shown itself with him, both of those things are to be expected. But I suppose we can speculate to death about what he is or isn't gonna do, but all we can do is wait and see.