Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Utah Jazz Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   2011 NBA Draft (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213987)

El Kabong 03-18-2011 02:36 AM

2011 NBA Draft

So the current picks the Jazz have if they don't win the lottery are #6 and #14. Over at RealGM they have the Jazz picking Jan Vesely at #6 and Alec Burks at #14. DraftExpress also has Burks at #14, but has Derrick Williams at #6. I like the sound of Vesely, athletic, can play 3/4 and hopefully a guy like Hornacek can help him with his shooting. Even if the NJ pick slips back into the 8-10 pick range he's a guy that can still be available around that mark it seems. Don't think Williams is a good fit as they don't really need another PF in the rotation. Or maybe they can try moving up a couple of spots and grabbing Harrison Barnes?

So what's everyone else's opinion on who the Jazz should pick?

idizzle 03-22-2011 09:33 AM

Re: 2011 NBA Draft

I been hearing that the Jazz might use one of their two 1st round picks on Jimmer Fredette. Isn't Gordon Hayward a SG?

El Kabong 03-23-2011 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idizzle
I been hearing that the Jazz might use one of their two 1st round picks on Jimmer Fredette. Isn't Gordon Hayward a SG?

SF. He may very well start next year if they don't resign AK.

I'm not huge on Devin Harris being the PG of the future, but i'm not sure if Fredette is going to be any better. If they could move Harris for a SG/SF type or a legit C (I'm sure the Warriors would be more then willing to deal Andris Biedrins) and then draft Fredettre with the Jazz's own 1st rounder then that'd be OK i guess.

DeronMillsap 03-23-2011 11:09 AM

I'll be fine with Harris as the future PG if Hayward can start shooting well. Or if we can get better SG/SF scorers this offseason.

There aren't too many D-Will's and Chris Paul's PGs in the league who can score and distribute at a high level so Harris is probably one of the better mid-tier PGs in the league. He'll be fine if he can just distribute the offense and play defense.

Jimmer wouldn't be a bad pick though because of his shooting/scoring range. He'll already be an upgrade to Watson and Price, neither current PGs can shoot or score.

Would rather pick him with our second 1st-round though if he's still on the board.

El Kabong 03-23-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeronMillsap
I'll be fine with Harris as the future PG if Hayward can start shooting well. Or if we can get better SG/SF scorers this offseason.

There aren't too many D-Will's and Chris Paul's PGs in the league who can score and distribute at a high level so Harris is probably one of the better mid-tier PGs in the league. He'll be fine if he can just distribute the offense and play defense.

Jimmer wouldn't be a bad pick though because of his shooting/scoring range. He'll already be an upgrade to Watson and Price, neither current PGs can shoot or score.

Would rather pick him with our second 1st-round though if he's still on the board.

Harris would be OK if he can play to his full potential, but I don't know if he'll do that or not. I don't expect them to get another top tier PG ala Deron or CP, Harris just frustrates me sometimes because he plays so fast that he sometimes makes careless turnovers from it.

Agree with taking Jimmer with the 2nd 1st rounder also. It'll probably be in the 14-16 range, so he may be around then still (I've seen him projected from the 10-16 range). Depends on other teams needs I guess. From the sounds of him he sounds like a Jazz player in terms of his attitude and the way he goes about playing the game. I wouldn't mind them keeping Watson as the 3rd PG if they draft Jimmer.

Nastradamus 03-23-2011 12:48 PM

Its going to be very hard to field a good team with Harris as your PG, JMO. He is too much of a ball stopper to be a winner. He doesn't run the offense and make others better at all and his D has slipped. He's better as a combo guy off the bench. No doubt he can produce though. If you have a point forward type like an Evan Turner or something then you can get away with it easier.

idizzle 03-24-2011 12:19 PM

I guy that I've been watching is Ben Hansbourgh from Notre Dame. He kind of reminds me of Jason Williams and Steve Blake mixed together. He's a bigger than Jimmer and he plays defense. He might be available in the 2nd.

Don't the Jazz have two 1st round picks in the draft this year and besides the PG spot what other position needs to be filled?

Xiao Yao You 03-24-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

If they could move Harris for a SG/SF type or a legit C

Why not a PF? Can never have enough of those apparently.

Quote:

(I'm sure the Warriors would be more then willing to deal Andris Biedrins)

But they already have a backcourt. Maybe For Jefferson or Okur?

Quote:

and then draft Fredettre with the Jazz's own 1st rounder then that'd be OK i guess.

Jimmer starting at a new position right out of school?

Quote:

I'll be fine with Harris as the future PG if Hayward can start shooting well.

He is.

Quote:

There aren't too many D-Will's and Chris Paul's PGs in the league who can score and distribute at a high level

And they still dealt him to the 2nd offer on the table. Really blows the mind.

Quote:

so Harris is probably one of the better mid-tier PGs in the league

Plenty of competition there. Very debatable. He might be ok if they get some stars elsewhere somehow.

Quote:

He'll be fine if he can just distribute the offense and play defense.

He's not much of a distributer though.

Quote:

But Watson is a veteran and actually a pg. Hard not to upgrade on Price. Hard to believe they've had him so long and he's played as big of a role as he has.

Quote:

Harris would be OK if he can play to his full potential, but I don't know if he'll do that or not.

Wouldn't expect it. Appears he picked a couple years ago.

Quote:

I don't expect them to get another top tier PG ala Deron or CP

Never expected them to get someone of Deron's caliber to replace John either.

Quote:

Harris just frustrates me sometimes because he plays so fast that he sometimes makes careless turnovers from it.

Put a team around him to play fast and a coach to let them play that way.

Quote:

Agree with taking Jimmer with the 2nd 1st rounder also. It'll probably be in the 14-16 range

15 or 16 would mean the Jazz made the playoffs. LOL!

Quote:

so he may be around then still (I've seen him projected from the 10-16 range).

I saw him top 10.

Quote:

I wouldn't mind them keeping Watson as the 3rd PG if they draft Jimmer.

Watson might still be the 2nd pg. He would want to go elsewhere if he wasn't. Could bring in Mike James. He wanted the job last year.

Quote:

He's better as a combo guy off the bench.

Too bad he's making 10 mil a year and ya just gave up one of the best players in the league to get him.

Quote:

No doubt he can produce though. If you have a point forward type like an Evan Turner or something then you can get away with it easier.

What has Turner done other than be a big disappointment. AK can handle the ball as can Miles and Bell.

El Kabong 03-25-2011 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
But they already have a backcourt. Maybe For Jefferson or Okur?

But Watson is a veteran and actually a pg. Hard not to upgrade on Price. Hard to believe they've had him so long and he's played as big of a role as he has.

15 or 16 would mean the Jazz made the playoffs. LOL!

I saw him top 10.

Doubt they'd want Okur, but Jefferson might be appealing to them. Straight swap is way out of favour for the Jazz though, Biendrins has been playing like dogshit lately.

Price was talking about wanting to stay, so if he signs cheap I imagine they may keep him. If they did draft Jimmer, then you can still play Watson a bit off the bench and have Jimmer swap between the backup 1/2 positions.

True, I still hold out a 0.0001% chance that the Jazz will make the playoffs, but now they lost to NO i'd put it at about a 0%

I usually read DraftExpress, which now has him at #17 to the Knicks.

Xiao Yao You 03-25-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Doubt they'd want Okur, but Jefferson might be appealing to them. Straight swap is way out of favour for the Jazz though, Biendrins has been playing like dogshit lately.

They might take Okur's expiring contract to get rid of Biedrins but who knows if a change of scenery is all that he needs?

Quote:

Price was talking about wanting to stay, so if he signs cheap I imagine they may keep him.

Well next year they shouldn't be forced to carry guys just cuz they're cheap like they have the past two years.

Quote:

If they did draft Jimmer, then you can still play Watson a bit off the bench and have Jimmer swap between the backup 1/2 positions.

Or Jimmer back in Happy Valley in the D-League.

Quote:

I usually read DraftExpress, which now has him at #17 to the Knicks.

Do they know about his incredible vertical leap though?

DeronMillsap 03-27-2011 05:24 PM

How do you guys feel about Butler making it back to the Final Four without Hayward?

Xiao Yao You 03-27-2011 06:41 PM

Would have been more impressive before the era of one and done.

Xiao Yao You 03-29-2011 09:14 PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars...onson.html.csp

I saw one scout thinks he's better than Curry.

Xiao Yao You 03-30-2011 09:11 PM

More O'Conner:

Quote:

Many saying 2011 NBA Draft is the weakest in at least a decade: I always hear that kind of stuff. But there'll be somebody that steps up that plays, and plays better than they're supposed to, and you say, 'Boy, that kid shouldn't have been drafted at 13 or 14 or 12.' But he was, and he's done great and I hope that's the guy we pick if that's the case.

Good luck! With your track record I wouldn't expect much.

Quote:

Chances of packaging picks and moving up: Well, we did that once before and it worked pretty good. If you go back and look at a number of people that have done that over the years, I think you'll see it is very few. History tells that one through five is something that works a lot better percentage-wise, as far as good players go. If I've done it before, then people aren't probably going to want to do it with me.

Mayo!

El Kabong 03-31-2011 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Mayo!

Didn't the Grizz want two 1st rounders from Chicago for him? And they were picks from Chicago and Miami which would have been in the high 20's. Surely they could offer Bell + Jazz 1st rounder for him.

I would like to see Miles given a full go next year as the main SG, so getting Mayo wouldn't be high up on my priorities list, but I like him as a player.