Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brooklyn Nets Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Nets are close to shutting down D-Will? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214163)

Nets fan 93 03-19-2011 09:55 AM

Nets are close to shutting down D-Will?

Quote:

Deron Williams is in a lot of pain every time his right wrist makes contact with the floor or another player, and that happens every game. After another fall and another poor shooting night on Friday in a loss that makes it near impossible for the Nets to make the playoffs, the idea of shutting Williams down for the season seemed to become a possibility.

Williams admits that he can't play his game and that the injury is "affecting me so much mentally." Avery Johnson adds that he's "very, very concerned" and that the Nets will have a "deep discussion" on how to proceed.

Meanwhile, Russian sports media reports that D-Will will participate in Russian basketball workshops this spring, under an agreement between Mikhail Prokhorov and the Russian Basketball Federation. The workshops are scheduled for May.
http://www.netsdaily.com/2011/3/19/2...for-the-season

I'm all for it.

D12"Magic" 03-19-2011 10:25 AM

Re: Nets are close to shutting down D-Will?

Do it. Though it will make ESPN look dumb for putting Nets @ Knicks on March 30th if Deron is not playing.

Nets fan 93 03-19-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Billy King is flying to Washington Saturday to discuss several possible scenarios on Deron Williams' future, including shutting down their star player for the season... starting with Sunday afternoon's game vs. the Wizards.

"Our options include Deron continuing to play and we just continue to treat him," Avery Johnson said during a conference call with the Nets' beat writers. "Other options may include just resting him for tomorrow’s game and maybe Monday or maybe shutting him down for 3 to five days and seeing if his wrist calms down a little bit."

Williams admits the continuing issue with his wrist is sapping his confidence although he still wants to play.

As a result, Johnson said the team will have to convince Williams to sit. "We want to let him know that even though we made this big trade for him we care about him and his well being more than we care about anything else right now," Johnson said. "We’re going to try and relay that message to him so that he won’t feel as pressured to go out there and not be anywhere close to 100 percent."
http://www.netsdaily.com/2011/3/19/2...illiams-future

IBig-Ballz 03-19-2011 01:46 PM

Healthy Deron could lead this team to playoffs next year, but the Nets still need to add some pieces this Off-season.

Nets fan 93 03-19-2011 08:02 PM

Deron will not be shut down according to a couple of sources.

RecSpecs110 03-19-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D12"Magic"
Do it. Though it will make ESPN look dumb for putting Nets @ Knicks on March 30th if Deron is not playing.

I actually like it better that way. If we lose without Deron, no one's going to say anything, because that's what's expected.

But if Deron plays and we lose, expect ESPN and every other New York news outlet to have a field day saying that Deron is not happy with the Nets and that he wants to play for the Knicks.

gigantes 03-20-2011 07:30 AM

imagine nabbing the #1 pure PG in the NBA, persuading him to re-sign during the offseason, and then having a shell of that player for the rest of his contract period... because you foolishly allowed him to play through a key injury.

i keep coming back to grant hill, because it was painful to see a superstar player destroy himself for exactly the same reason... back in that playoff series when he was with the pistons. 1999-2000, or something like that.

D12"Magic" 03-20-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
I actually like it better that way. If we lose without Deron, no one's going to say anything, because that's what's expected.

But if Deron plays and we lose, expect ESPN and every other New York news outlet to have a field day saying that Deron is not happy with the Nets and that he wants to play for the Knicks.

Damn, good logic in that case then I dont mind now. this game is better than the Pistons vs Pacers game they were gonna play on Mar. 30th.

Nets fan 93 03-20-2011 12:54 PM

He is out 3 games including the game that is going on right now.

RecSpecs110 03-21-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigantes
imagine nabbing the #1 pure PG in the NBA, persuading him to re-sign during the offseason, and then having a shell of that player for the rest of his contract period... because you foolishly allowed him to play through a key injury.

i keep coming back to grant hill, because it was painful to see a superstar player destroy himself for exactly the same reason... back in that playoff series when he was with the pistons. 1999-2000, or something like that.

Exactly, and we're not playing for anything. I mean I like the competitive spirit by Deron, but this is just stupid. Nothing can be gained by playing him this season. We won't even have some guys on this roster next season.

I know that management is bending the rules to cater Deron, but this is where you put the foot down. We made the trade for the future, not for this season.