Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects) (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214313)

T-Low 03-20-2011 05:22 PM

NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

Duke 73 - Michigan 71
Kyle Irving just finished in a close game with Michigan with 11 points (9 of 10 FT), 2 Rebounds and 2 assists.

Arizona 70 - Texas 69 (Sorry Ford, Durant)
Derrick Williams had a big game for Arizona, working the paint with 19 points, 9 rebounds (4 off.) and 3 assists.

Ohio State 98 - George Mason 66
Jared Sullinger had a good game (18 points, 7 rebounds) but was in the shadow of David Lighty's 7 3-pointers (25 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists.

North Carolina 86 - Washington 83
Harrison Barnes had a good showing for NC with 22 points (9 for 19 shooting), 2 Rebounds, 2 Assists and 3 Steals.

Keep Updated people!

Qwyjibo 03-20-2011 05:23 PM

Re: NCAA March Madness - Following the Madness (Draft Prospects)

Out of all the top prospects, the ones that interest me the most right now are Irving, Perry Jones, Barnes and Kanter.

Chamberlain 03-20-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Out of all the top prospects, the ones that interest me the most right now are Irving, Perry Jones, Barnes and Kanter.

Me too, add Brandon Knight to the list as well (as a top 10-15 prospect, not top 5).

I really wish Kanter was eligible, I was really interested in watching him this season.

bballnoob 03-20-2011 10:16 PM

Knight is interesting (although as mentioned, probably not top 10 good) and I think Calipari (sp) does a great job preparing players for the NBA style game.

Derrick Williams hasn't impressed me at all on the defensive end. Don't think he has any business as an NBA 3 either. Same with Perry Jones but I admit I haven't seen him play as much.

I realize that the board is highly opposed to Euro big men right now but Valanciunas is really intriguing me right now. From what I've seen/read, he's a worker in the paint (raw post game though) and is extremely active. Might be interesting around the 5th pick.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...anciunas-5622/

Qwyjibo 03-20-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

I realize that the board is highly opposed to Euro big men right now but Valanciunas is really intriguing me right now. From what I've seen/read, he's a worker in the paint (raw post game though) and is extremely active. Might be interesting around the 5th pick.
If he ends up being the best talent on the board and can play defense and rebound, sure. Why not?

Ed Davis at PF and a legit C would be something to look forward to in the future.

Reef 03-21-2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

If he ends up being the best talent on the board and can play defense and rebound, sure. Why not?

The question is, can he shoot the 3?

Qwyjibo 03-21-2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef
The question is, can he shoot the 3?

Let's hope the Raptors will have a GM that doesn't care about this sometime soon.

Jballer 03-21-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Ed Davis at PF and a legit C would be something to look forward to in the future.

Yes.... except all "big men" and especially 5s are always "projects" when taken in the draft. European, American, Chinesse, Martians, Neptunians ....

It always takes a few years to get them to be where their potential suggests. See file under : Bynum, Oden, Ming, etc. It is very very rare that a Shaq or Howard hit the floor as game changers.

Whereas PGs and SG do more often light it up early.

I think you can get a big in the league somewhere down the developmental path and know that for all the skills, promise, and deficiencies noted - you can blend them into the game now with Davis, Derozan, et al

(read Kaman etc)

bballnoob 03-21-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jballer
Yes.... except all "big men" and especially 5s are always "projects" when taken in the draft. European, American, Chinesse, Martians, Neptunians ....

It always takes a few years to get them to be where their potential suggests. See file under : Bynum, Oden, Ming, etc. It is very very rare that a Shaq or Howard hit the floor as game changers.

Whereas PGs and SG do more often light it up early.

I think you can get a big in the league somewhere down the developmental path and know that for all the skills, promise, and deficiencies noted - you can blend them into the game now with Davis, Derozan, et al

(read Kaman etc)

Well if the Raps take the time to build properly instead of going for quick fixes, taking projects shouldn't be an issue. Toronto will most likely be a lottery team for at least 2-3 years so IMO it doesn't make a difference regarding what minimal improvment a "more ready" player would make on those teams. As well, Bynum, Oden and Ming weren't exactly projects. Other than injury problems, all 3 have shown early in their careers that they can play.

Just take the best players you can now in the draft and as history has shown, it is always possible to turn those assets into more "win now" pieces if you desire.

As far as the PG/SG slot, there's no shooting guard anywhere near the top 5 and Irving probably won't fall to the Raps (I wouldn't be happy with Walker as a top 5 guy).

bluerap 03-21-2011 12:28 PM

I have nothing against taking a big project this draft like kanter or Valanciunas.
I am intrigued by Valanciunas as well. He isn't the typical finesse euro.

I am not so enthused about a win-now type of pick at the 5 spot. I'd rather play the patient game.

I think Washington, Sacramento and Minnesota will be a lot better next year so we will be in a good position to draft well again.

If we happen to win the lottery ball than I definitely want irving.

Jballer 03-22-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Me too, add Brandon Knight to the list as well (as a top 10-15 prospect, not top 5).

I keep hearing how good his game is.

I definitely planning on watching Ohio /Kentucky. I want to see his game.

T-Low 03-22-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jballer
I keep hearing how good his game is.

I definitely planning on watching Ohio /Kentucky. I want to see his game.

Along with the Ohio-Kentucky game, I can't wait to see the Duke-Arizona game....Can't wait to see who has the better game between the 2 of Kyle Irving and Derrick Williams....

bokes15 03-22-2011 03:49 PM

I am also in intrigued by Valanciuna. Definitely not on taking him as a top 5 guy, but perhaps trading for him might be an interesting possibility?

Chamberlain 03-22-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokes15
I am also in intrigued by Valanciuna. Definitely not on taking him as a top 5 guy, but perhaps trading for him might be an interesting possibility?

Valanciunas is definitely an interesting prospect. He has a lot of upside and he's good in the paint. I'd be willing to take a look at him somewhere in the late lottery to late teens.

TMAC-RAPTORS 03-22-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Low
Along with the Ohio-Kentucky game, I can't wait to see the Duke-Arizona game....Can't wait to see who has the better game between the 2 of Kyle Irving and Derrick Williams....

Probably Derrick Williams because doesn't look like Irving is completely healthy and he might not get tons of playing time. Williams on the other hand is a complete beast :eek: If the raptors come out with either Irving, Williams, or Barnes, i will be satisfied