Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers?? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215085)

knickballer 03-25-2011 09:03 PM

Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

Has anyone notice this? When Williams and Amare are on the floor Williams is the one guarding centers. You would think our so called MVP would do the honor but instead we have a 3point shooting role player at best trying to guard Dwight Howard in the post..

Is Amare that big of a *****? He's a swingman...

Scoooter 03-25-2011 09:53 PM

Re: Why does Shawne Williams guard opposing centers??

He's a better defender than Amar'e and less critical offensively. Seriously, guys, this isn't that difficult.

franchize 03-25-2011 10:04 PM

OK but he's not a center.Fields is a good defender too.That doesnt mean you put him on a big man.I think you are the only one who doesn't get that.You and Mike D'Antoni.Shawne Williams didn't even play center in college.He never guarded big men @ Memphis so why do you think he can in the pros. He's 6'9" 225.Dwight Howard is 6'11" and 265.Thats 2 inches and 40 lbs.:wtf:
I really don't understand your argument in regards to this.Are you arguing for the sake of arguing because you can't seriously say you know sports and think its on for this guy to guard centers.

Scoooter 03-25-2011 10:10 PM

God damn you guys are dense. Maybe I should type bigger. Ronny Turiaf and Shawne Williams are the teams best defenders over 6'7". Period. I don't care what position you call it, he's just as tall as every other frontcourt player we have, and just as effective down low. He's the best option they have.

knickscity 03-25-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoooter
God damn you guys are dense. Maybe I should type bigger. Ronny Turiaf and Shawne Williams are the teams best defenders over 6'7". Period. I don't care what position you call it, he's just as tall as every other frontcourt player we have, and just as effective down low. He's the best option they have.

He is the best option because D'antoni doesn't give a damn about that aspect of the game.

His preference is a four forward lineup, with a guard.

All he cares about is how many points the team scores.

His team, not the opposition.

Sarcastic 03-26-2011 01:46 AM

Is this supposed to be a rhetorical question? Only bad coaches and coaches who are trying to get themselves fired go with defensive assignments like that.

Clutch 03-26-2011 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Is this supposed to be a rhetorical question? Only bad coaches and coaches who are trying to get themselves fired go with defensive assignments like that.

If he wants to leave this team why can't he just resign like Jerry Sloan ?

Why would he want to be fired ?

Money ?
How big is his contract anyways ?

franchize 03-27-2011 05:22 PM

Scooter with all due respect...you either really like Mike D'Antoni or you don't know anything about basketball.You and Pringles are the only ppl that think that it you are tall you automatically can play center.Shawne Williams is 6'9" and 230 lbs.Stop it.Please.He's not a gr8 defender and he's damn sure not shutting down a big man.You're wasting keystroke and brain cells tryna justify such stupidity.

Scoooter 03-27-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchize
Scooter with all due respect...you either really like Mike D'Antoni or you don't know anything about basketball.You and Pringles are the only ppl that think that it you are tall you automatically can play center.Shawne Williams is 6'9" and 230 lbs.Stop it.Please.He's not a gr8 defender and he's damn sure not shutting down a big man.You're wasting keystroke and brain cells tryna justify such stupidity.

LOL. "Scoooter, with all due respect, you're a dumbf**k." :oldlol:

No one on this team is a great defender. No one is shutting down a big man. Not one single player. Get that through your thick ****ing skulls. There are some guys who are slightly better than others. Turiaf is slightly better than Shelden Williams, for instance. Shawne Williams is better than Jared Jeffries, for another. They're all better than Amar'e. He isn't playing bad defenders in place of good defenders, he's playing bad defenders in place of even worse defenders.

You guys hate D'antoni so much you don't realize that this team is going to be shit for a long time regardless of who is coaching. Sorry. :confusedshrug:

earlofupstate 03-27-2011 10:02 PM

Scoooter, MD'A's plan with Shawne Williams on D12 was to bring him out to the 3 pt line, to keep him away from the basket. But SVG countered that with having someone else guard Williams. MD'A FAIL.

Turiaf was doing a much better job on Dwight. But Dwight is a beast down low for ANYONE. I totally agree with you on that one.

knickscity 03-27-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoooter
He isn't playing bad defenders in place of good defenders, he's playing bad defenders in place of even worse defenders.

I have to agree with that. Really none of our player have true defensive instincts.

I might add size has something to do with it, but there a few exceptions in the League.

Chuck Hayes immediately comes to mind, and he is 6-6 and plays Center.

earlofupstate 03-27-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knickscity
I have to agree with that. Really none of our player have true defensive instincts.

I might add size has something to do with it, but there a few exceptions in the League.

Chuck Hayes immediately comes to mind, and he is 6-6 and plays Center.

Dejaun Blair Spurs 6"7"

knickscity 03-27-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlofupstate
Dejaun Blair Spurs 6"7"

He is a good defender, he shares the duties with Duncan though.

Sarcastic 03-27-2011 10:34 PM

Blair is 40 pounds more than Williams.

Scoooter 03-27-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlofupstate
Scoooter, MD'A's plan with Shawne Williams on D12 was to bring him out to the 3 pt line, to keep him away from the basket. But SVG countered that with having someone else guard Williams. MD'A FAIL.

Turiaf was doing a much better job on Dwight. But Dwight is a beast down low for ANYONE. I totally agree with you on that one.

In the last game against Orlando, Turiaf rolled his ankle and disappeared into the locker room for the fourth quarter, which is when most of the Williams-Howard match up occurred. I like Ronny, but he gets hurt every three trips down the floor.