Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Nene the raptors #1 FA target (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215786)

el gringos 03-31-2011 04:32 AM

Nene the raptors #1 FA target

Its all about the perfect fit next to your best player- this would make the toughest frontcourt to cover in the nba
------------
Then all you do is draft a power 3 type like jones, vesely is maybe, elias harris, or in a perfect world P jones. Perry because I think he might be the best player in the draft and terrance because I think he might be the perfect choice for the Raptors if there was a guy in the middle like Nene-

Doko 03-31-2011 10:01 AM

Re: Nene the raptors #1 FA target

Quote:

Originally Posted by el gringos
Its all about the perfect fit next to your best player- this would make the toughest frontcourt to cover in the nba
------------
Then all you do is draft a power 3 type like jones, vesely is maybe, elias harris, or in a perfect world P jones. Perry because I think he might be the best player in the draft and terrance because I think he might be the perfect choice for the Raptors if there was a guy in the middle like Nene-

What are you talking about? Everyone knows that Amir Johnson is our best player, Bargnani is a 15th man at best, isn't worth of a spot on any team in the NBA, let alone a starting spot.
Prettyprettypretty please Colangelo, trade Bargnani for nothing, we had enough of his frekin' offensive minded game, he doesn't rebound the ball, his defense is the worst in the history of the world, we want a real C OMG.

(I saved many guys the effort of writing this shit, since that's the only reply you'll get on this board. Me, I'd love to see Bargs and Nene paired up, and I really hope that happens, wether it's in Toronto or in Denver. btw, if Nene ever comes to Toronto, it will take 3 months at worst for Raptors fans to call him an overrated 3rd stringer :lol )

Skywalker 03-31-2011 11:20 AM

Nene plays defense and rebounds unlike your sack free hero.

Chamberlain 03-31-2011 11:23 AM

Doko, wow.

Anyways. The title of this thread is flawed, you make it seem like this has been announced or rumored in the organization, but its nothing more than an opinion.

I'd like Nene on the team with or without Bargnani. He brings pretty much everything we don't have.

Qwyjibo 03-31-2011 12:16 PM

A Nene/Davis frontcourt would be very nice going forward. Marc Gasol or Deandre Jordan with Davis also.

Jballer 03-31-2011 12:28 PM

In my mind you need to refine it by position.

C

Nene
Marc Gasol
or take a chance/flyer on
Oden
Dalembert
Tyson Chandler

SF
Tayshawn
Josh Howard

( a vetern presence to play valuable minutes at 3-2 in rotation to spell and mentor Demar)

Thats my entire list. 2 FAs.

(I predict a 1 is our obvious draft pick)

Any trades in affecting Barges or Jose (which is hypothetical at best right now) would likely bring back value for both teams and all players concerned.

Lets not hijack another thread please.

Skywalker 03-31-2011 12:34 PM

I'd take Prince but not JHo.

Oden could be good but better come cheap since he's made of glass.

Most of all I'd like to get Nene maybe Barbosa can talk to him lol.

Jballer 03-31-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker
Oden could be good but better come cheap since he's made of glass.

Yaa I suppose.

People mention about trading Barges in the other thread and I specifically did NOT want to hijak this thread - but there is a perfect fit here. Barges would be a valuable piece in Portland - and Odens contract could be structured to match penny for penny. Both guys have talent and probably need a new environment to reset expectations.

I did say "take a flyer".

Oden at 70% of what was promised and focused on being more of a Big Ben center than a Shaq/Howard game changer might in fact be unbeliveably awesome with a rotation of :

Oden/Davis/Johnson/Demar/Draft pick <insert Kemba or Knight>

I mean not game 1 but 2 seasons from now.

I would do it.

FCardelle 03-31-2011 04:35 PM

Why Bargnani for Oden when the obvious is Bargnani AND Oden?
Rudy and Oden for Derozan and Ed Davis

Jose / FA
Rudy / Barbosa
Vesely /Kleiza
Bargnani /Amir
Oden / Ajinca

It is a young team led by Calderon and Barbosa from the bench. If Oden is healthy it could be a contender very soon.
PS. I don't want to hijack the thread either. This option is more realistic than any other in this forum.

kmart 03-31-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCardelle
Rudy and Oden for Derozan and Ed Davis

Jose / FA
Rudy / Barbosa
Vesely /Kleiza
Bargnani /Amir
Oden / Ajinca

It is a young team led by Calderon and Barbosa from the bench. If Oden is healthy it could be a contender very soon.
PS. I don't want to hijack the thread either. This option is more realistic than any other in this forum.

I don't care if you like Euros or not thats a terrible trade. Oden is as soft as glass and Fernandez is simply a chucker. If I'm taking Oden I'm taking him in as a project not giving up 2 potential pieces of my future to get him. Also whether you like it or not an Oden/ Bargs frontcourt is still a bad rebounding frontcourt IMO. Just cause you have a good rebounder doesn't change the fact that Bargs only grabs 5 rebounds a game.

Edit: That team isn't young either

Qwyjibo 03-31-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Because it's not obvious. A healthy Oden (who knows if that'll even ever happen) and Davis is a better combination. That's lockdown defense and rebounding from your frontcourt which is exactly what you need from them and these guys can score a bit too. Get your perimeter scoring from your guards and wings.

But Oden might be too big of a risk to take on anyways at this point. He might be broken.

keantona 03-31-2011 05:45 PM

I don't want Nene, even though he brings a lot that would be good fro the team right now, because he's seven years older than Davis and DeRozan. Since we aren't contending any time soon, I want our team to be built to peak when they and our next few draft picks do. I don't want the Raptors to bring on anyone older than about 23-24 unless they are very cheap veterans who have a lot to teach the youngsters.

Oden is a huge risk but one I think I'd take. A team in the Raptors' position have to swing for the fences with their player acquisitions. If they build incrementally they'll never get far, but if they keep gambling on young players who might develop into superstars one or more moves may eventually pay off. Then when that potential is there the team can be cautious again.

(Oh and obviously, while I'd like Oden, I wouldn't give up the only keepers on our team to get him.)

Oh yeah and since this thread is all hijacky already, I really want us to get Rubio, who I see as in the same big risk/huge reward category as Oden but for different reasons. In a dream world Minnesota could be persuaded that Kevin Love's dynamism and ferocity could be well complemented by Andrea Bargnani's complete lack of same. In the real world, I'd give the Timberwolves our pick for this year provided it didn't turn out to be high enough to land Irving.

My dream Raptors summer-

Draft Barnes
Trade Bargnani (+ whatever) for Rubio (+ I presume a bad contract or two)
Sign Oden

Next year's Raps starting lineup (completely unrealistic)-

Rubio
DeRozan
Barnes
Davis
Oden

Qwyjibo 03-31-2011 07:49 PM

I think the Raptors should be trying to "hit a home run" in the draft, not free agency. Oden is too big of a risk and Portland probably has a dollar figure that they'd match and keep him anyways. Oden when healthy was looking like he was well on his way to being one of the best defensive players in the league. You can't count on him being healthy though. These aren't even a series of little nagging injuries. These are serious knee issues to a 7 footer. I'd rather get Gasol or Jordan and take risks on talent in the draft.

Toni 03-31-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I think the Raptors should be trying to "hit a home run" in the draft, not free agency. Oden is too big of a risk and Portland probably has a dollar figure that they'd match and keep him anyways. Oden when healthy was looking like he was well on his way to being one of the best defensive players in the league. You can't count on him being healthy though. These aren't even a series of little nagging injuries. These are serious knee issues to a 7 footer. I'd rather get Gasol or Jordan and take risks on talent in the draft.

Yeah I agree. It would be cool if we could sign Yao to a cheap low-risk contract since he is a UFA and not an RFA like Oden. Then we can hope that he can play an effective 20 mins a night like Big Z did for the Cavs late in his career.

But yeah a Davis/Nene frontcourt would be nice. Trade Bargs for an established SF. PG in through the draft hopefully..

Ugh I just want this team to go in the right direction so bad.. :(

lilbeastnani 03-31-2011 08:16 PM

You guys would really prefer glass man Oden as our starting center to Bargnani? Irony, and you guys say that i'm the troll.