Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The 'ol 3.5" 1.44mb (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21602)

Mathius 12-12-2006 11:24 PM

The 'ol 3.5" 1.44mb
 
This is a problem I've had for years, just wondering if anyone else has.... I can't seem to ever use any of my old floppy disks. Seems I bought some new ones and they were no good after a while either. They just seem to get corrupted over time, no matter how well protected.

Now 99.9% of the time I never use them, don't care for them. But every once in a while I'm working on a computer that isn't hooked up to the internet (usually when setting it up for the first time) and I need to get something from one computer to another and I can't ever get a damn floppy to work.

Mathius

eboloid 12-13-2006 02:10 AM

I haven't used floppies in years, myself, but you should consider buying a cheap, small USB stick, transfers are a hundred times faster and I've noticed my quality of life has risen ever since I haven't had to endure the horrific noise of bad floppies being read.

reppy 12-13-2006 06:05 AM

I feel naked without a 3.5" floppy drive in my PC. I can't even remember when I last used it. It's a comfort thing.

Seņor Cedric 12-13-2006 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reppy
I feel naked without a 3.5" floppy drive in my PC. I can't even remember when I last used it. It's a comfort thing.


Haha me too.

Don't they get wasted by magnets?

boceltballa 12-16-2006 12:33 AM

Get a USB flash drive! I got one last year and it is a lifesaver. I never thought that I would have used it as much as I have. I bought mine on Black Friday (in case you don't know that is the day after Thanksgiving) last year for about twenty dollars and that was for a 512 mb. They will only get cheaper but still get one because it's definitely worth the money.

Mathius 12-16-2006 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boceltballa
Get a USB flash drive! I got one last year and it is a lifesaver. I never thought that I would have used it as much as I have. I bought mine on Black Friday (in case you don't know that is the day after Thanksgiving) last year for about twenty dollars and that was for a 512 mb. They will only get cheaper but still get one because it's definitely worth the money.


I can see how they'd be convenient, but I've had a lot of problems with USB ports failing too. I have 4 on my computer, and I think only 3 of them work. My dad's computer had 4, and he couldn't get the front 2 to work.

Also, those USB cards are expensive. I checked into it and I saw one on clearance the other day for $44 for a 1Gb. For $40, I could buy an internal 40GB hard drive.

Mathius

reppy 12-16-2006 07:21 AM

Yeah I just recently got a USB flash drive. 128mb. I got it for free. It came with a 1gb Ridata SD card ($18 - $8 rebate + free shipping). Never really dinked around with it though. However I know there are some USB drives that you can put software on it that will autorun upon insertion into a password protected Windows XP machine and it'll give you access to it.

Not really sure if it's specific to certain USB drives or what. Never cared enough to look into it heavily.

Brunch@Five 12-16-2006 09:15 AM

floppy discs are outdated. You seriously need to start using USB drives, they're faster and have more capacity, also they're more reliable.
There's simply no point in using floppies anymore

boceltballa 12-17-2006 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathius
I can see how they'd be convenient, but I've had a lot of problems with USB ports failing too. I have 4 on my computer, and I think only 3 of them work. My dad's computer had 4, and he couldn't get the front 2 to work.

Also, those USB cards are expensive. I checked into it and I saw one on clearance the other day for $44 for a 1Gb. For $40, I could buy an internal 40GB hard drive.

Mathius



Depending how you use a flash drive or what you need it for will determine what size you need. Mostly it depends where you are looking to buy the flash drive. Many places have expensive, overpriced flash drives! I was in Staples a few weeks ago and I saw that they had their own brand of flash drive going for at least four times more than what they had another one on sale for. They will definitely be better than a floppy and even if you do pay more than you were expecting you will be happy you bought it.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy