Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OT: BRADY QUINN vs. TROY SMITH...WHY IS QUINN PROJECTED HIGHER IN THE DRAFT? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21611)

PleezeBelieve 12-13-2006 12:33 AM

OT: BRADY QUINN vs. TROY SMITH...WHY IS QUINN PROJECTED HIGHER IN THE DRAFT?

Yeah, I know about Brady being 6'4'', but so what? What does Quinn do on the field that is so exceptionally better than Troy? Both are accurate. Both protect the ball. Both are products of high-caliber programs.

BUT...Smith's won every big game he's been in, while Quinn has virtually lossed every one of his. Smith beat Quinn head-to-head. Smith stepped his production up against elite competition, while Quinn played worse. Smith killed Michigan this season, Quinn played horribly. Smith was the best player on the field when Ohio State played Texas, Brady only completed 49% of passes against in a blowout loss against USC.

Can anybody help me out here? :confusedshrug:

HaNdLe ThE RoCk 12-13-2006 12:36 AM

agree..

The Fact that Quinn is 6'4 is a big reason

bigkingsfan 12-13-2006 12:42 AM

Quinn is a much more prototypical NFL QB and has everything you look for in a great QB. And don't forget Smith has a GREAT defense to back him up.

Timmy D for MVP 12-13-2006 12:42 AM

Brady Quinn is more of a passer. I mean most teams would pick an Alex Smith Steve Young type player (mobile, but still a great passer), over a Michael Vick type player (very mobile but some passing is suspect which is changing as of late). But I still see Troy Smith doing better in the NFL right now because he still has a good passing ability and he can run like no other.

Plus that funky release can't be helping him (it killed that kid from Oregon)

PP34Deuce 12-13-2006 12:44 AM

Quinn will be a great PRO player.

hes mobile enough in the pocket,and despite the stats, i think he has a better arm, and is tougher to take down.

Another thing is hes the prototype QB. 6'4 220 all americcan looking boy.

JohnnyBravo5 12-13-2006 12:48 AM

He's white thats why. They always say that Black QB's need 2-3 years to mature. Or that they aren't accurate. They said the same thing about Young despite the fact that he was second in the NCAA in passing efficiency and threw for over 3,000 yards. It is the same reason that D.J. Shockley didn't get drafted until the last round after leading his team to the SEC title and was the Offensive player of the year.

I am so glad that VY is killing them this year.

PleezeBelieve 12-13-2006 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaNdLe ThE RoCk
agree..

The Fact that Quinn is 6'4 is a big reason

So what? I'm sure there's a QB coming out this year that's taller than 6'4''. :confusedshrug:

It's pretty obvious that these so-called draft pundit's can't answer my question either. For instance, on Mel Kiper's Big Board, he lists the following attributes..."Poised, smart and at his best in pressure situations. Quinn threw just one interception in his last eight games" Now, that sounds all good and all, but what about his combined 50% completion percentage against the two best teams on his schedule, Michigan and USC? If he steps up in pressure situations, how does he do that any more substantially than Troy? Which brings me to...

"A consummate winner, Smith performed at his best on the biggest stages. (See his 3-0 record against Michigan, a bowl win over Notre Dame and road win this season at Texas.) He's a great player who makes those around him better, and he has a great ability to keep plays alive with his mobility. His arm strength is excellent [B}and if he was two or three inches taller, Smith would be talked about as a top-five pick[/b]"

This is Kiper's breakdown of Smith. It sounds all great and all, but it's like this guy is using his height as the sole excuse as to why he isn't a top-five pick. :oldlol: Like eveything he mentioned prior is almost irrelevant because he 6'1''. Now how does that make any sense? Not at one time did he say Brady Quinn skills were helped cause he was 6'4'' but this guy negates everything that Smith does cause he's 6'1''. Now how ignorant is that? The only thing that is more ignorant is that the genral public will eat it up. Idiots.

PleezeBelieve 12-13-2006 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo5
He's white thats why. They always say that Black QB's need 2-3 years to mature. Or that they aren't accurate. They said the same thing about Young despite the fact that he was second in the NCAA in passing efficiency and threw for over 3,000 yards. It is the same reason that D.J. Shockley didn't get drafted until the last round after leading his team to the SEC title and was the Offensive player of the year.

I am so glad that VY is killing them this year.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: ...nuff said. Thank you very much. I wonder how long it would take for someone to bring it up.

JohnnyBravo5 12-13-2006 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
So what? I'm sure there's a QB coming out this year that's taller than 6'4''. :confusedshrug:

It's pretty obvious that these so-called draft pundit's can't answer my question either. For instance, on Mel Kiper's Big Board, he lists the following attributes..."Poised, smart and at his best in pressure situations. Quinn threw just one interception in his last eight games" Now, that sounds all good and all, but what about his combined 50% completion percentage against the two best teams on his schedule, Michigan and USC? If he steps up in pressure situations, how does he do that any more substantially than Troy? Which brings me to...

"A consummate winner, Smith performed at his best on the biggest stages. (See his 3-0 record against Michigan, a bowl win over Notre Dame and road win this season at Texas.) He's a great player who makes those around him better, and he has a great ability to keep plays alive with his mobility. His arm strength is excellent [B}and if he was two or three inches taller, Smith would be talked about as a top-five pick[/b]"

This is Kiper's breakdown of Smith. It sounds all great and all, but it's like this guy is using his height as the sole excuse as to why he isn't a top-five pick. :oldlol: Like eveything he mentioned prior is almost irrelevant because he 6'1''. Now how does that make any sense? Not at one time did he say Brady Quinn skills were helped cause he was 6'4'' but this guy negates everything that Smith does cause he's 6'1''. Now how ignorant is that? The only thing that is more ignorant is that the genral public will eat it up. Idiots.

Being short didnt hurt Steve Young any

PleezeBelieve 12-13-2006 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Quinn is a much more prototypical NFL QB and has everything you look for in a great QB. And don't forget Smith has a GREAT defense to back him up.

And Smith isn't? What does Quinn do better than Smith? Did he win when they played head-to-head? Did he play better in big games? Was he an overall better reated QB? Seriously, what does Quinn do better? All you're doing is parroting the same bullsh*t that these announcers are telling me.

PleezeBelieve 12-13-2006 12:59 AM

Quote:

Exactly. It's like if they switched races, I wonder if Quinn would still be considered the "All-American, prototypical QB". :rolleyes:

ALBballer 12-13-2006 01:01 AM

Quote:

Young was like 6'1" - 6'2", so I really don't know what you talking about.

As for the being Smith not gettin hype becuase he's "black", I know you typed that for shock value, so I'm really not going to address it, because your pretty much - no, you are a dumbass.

AndyDufrain 12-13-2006 01:12 AM

Yeah

I know it's sad, but it's because he's white.

Maximum310 12-13-2006 01:16 AM

The Truth is they are both going to suck in the NFL, and both should be 3rd round picks. If Brady would have came out for the 2006 draft, he would have not even been Top 20....END OF DISCUSSION

PleezeBelieve 12-13-2006 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALBballer
Young was like 6'1" - 6'2", so I really don't know what you talking about.

As for the being Smith not gettin hype becuase he's "black", I know you typed that for shock value, so I'm really not going to address it, because your pretty much - no, you are a dumbass.

How tall do you think Smith is, 5'11''? He's 6'0-1/2'', and the Steve Young height comparisons are fair.