Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chicago Bulls Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   How to lock the #1 seed and homecourt (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216724)

Ruh-Roh 04-06-2011 03:01 AM

How to lock the #1 seed and homecourt

5 games left for CHI, BOS & MIA...

Bulls are 3 wins ahead, but face Boston (2-1 for season against us) Thursday most importantly, then ORL & NY following.

Miami and Boston face each other Sunday, so one of them is going to drop off slightly at that point.

What is our homecourt situation if you don't mind my ignorance?

My impression is we need to beat Boston to tie season series and then win 2 more games to keep the #1 seed for homecourt, and everything else we are okay with.

So, basically, beat Boston, Cleveland and New Jersey and we are home free, right?

Crystallas 04-06-2011 03:17 AM

Re: How to lock the #1 seed and homecourt

IMO, Home court is the only way that we can win the East or the Finals. We're 2 games up on the Lakers right now, and 1 1/2 away from the Spurs.

If we beat Boston, we lock a better record than them, if we win 2 games, we clinch the East. If we win out and the Spurs lose 1 of their remaining, we clinch #1 in the NBA because we would have the tie-breaker.

Ruh-Roh 04-06-2011 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crystallas
IMO, Home court is the only way that we can win the East or the Finals. We're 2 games up on the Lakers right now, and 1 1/2 away from the Spurs.

If we beat Boston, we lock a better record than them, if we win 2 games, we clinch the East. If we win out and the Spurs lose 1 of their remaining, we clinch #1 in the NBA because we would have the tie-breaker.

If Boston were to lose to us it would tie the series and still give them 4 other games to catch us if we start to fail miserably, I thought.

Crystallas 04-06-2011 03:35 AM

Ah, you're right, we would have to win one more game, or Boston would have to lose 1 more game.

TIEBREAKER BASIS: From NBA.com
(-) Tie breaker not needed (better overall winning percentage)
(1) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division
(2) Head-to-head won-lost percentage (This remains tied 2-2)
(3) Division won-lost percentage (Does not apply for teams out of the division)
(4) Conference won-lost percentage
(5) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, own conference
(6) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, other conference
(7) Net Points, all games
x-Clinched Playoff Berth | o-Eliminated from Playoffs contention | e-Clinched Eastern Conference | w-Clinched Western Conference
nw-Clinched Northwest Division | p-Clinched Pacific Conference | sw-Clinched Southwest Division | a-Clinched Atlantic Division
c-Clinched Central Conference | se-Clinched Southeast Conference
*-Games remaining vs.Teams Over/Under .500

ljsbb27 04-06-2011 09:35 AM

We should aim to beat Cleveland, New York and New Jersey. Those are all more than winnable games and we should do what we have to do in order to get those Wins. If we do that we'll have the #1 seed.

Because with 5 games left... we need 3 wins to clinch the top seed.

If we lose to Boston and Orlando we would still be a game up on Boston if they win all of there remaining games which I don't see them doing.

But I see the Bulls beating Boston and Orlando and really making a statement before the playoffs start. We just have to make sure we don't play down to competition and take care of business against the Cavs, Knicks and Nets.

Boston and Orlando are teams that we will most likely face in the playoffs and beating them in our last matchup against them in the regular season would give us a nice advantage over them mentally on top of having home court advantage.

Crystallas 04-06-2011 10:27 AM

I'm sorry, but I disagree with that.

First off, Boston is pretty beat up right now. They are good, and find ways to win, but we shouldn't let them get an easy game, just because we aren't focused on beating them. If we beat them, we need to win 1 more, and then we can rest, if that's what the hard work ethic of this team truly wants to do.

Second off, let Orlando slide? Anyone that wants to see Rose win the MVP knows this game could become the decider. There is NO letting off the gas here.

If you want to win the title, you can't take the easy way out of the regular season. At least not when they aren't truly experienced in the playoffs.

Big games we need to pay attention to:
Boston at Miami this Sunday
Spurs at Los Angeles next Tuesday

Crazy Style 04-06-2011 01:17 PM

The magic number is 3 and unless something strange doesn't happen the Bulls are going to finish #1.:cheers:

ljsbb27 04-07-2011 01:05 AM

I don't know if you read my entire post or if you just misunderstood the message I was trying to get across. In no way shape or form did I mean for our Bulls to take the Celtics and Magic games lightly. I even said that I see our Bulls winning all of the games they have left in the regular season. I was just trying to say that as long as we take care of business against the three clearly inferior oppononents (Cavs, Knicks, and Nets) then we dont need to worry about the top seed because it will be ours. We can play the Celtics and the Magic and play really well and just have a tough game and lose by a two or three points or lose on a last second shot or something like that, but if we beat the Cavs, Knicks, and Nets then the #1 seed is ours regardless of the results against the Celtics and Magic. But absolutely the Bulls should come out and give 110% to beat both the Celtics and Magic because those would be major and important statement wins to head into the postseason with and would also give us an edge over them if or when we meet them in the playoffs.

Quote:

I'm sorry, but I disagree with that.

First off, Boston is pretty beat up right now. They are good, and find ways to win, but we shouldn't let them get an easy game, just because we aren't focused on beating them. If we beat them, we need to win 1 more, and then we can rest, if that's what the hard work ethic of this team truly wants to do.

Second off, let Orlando slide? Anyone that wants to see Rose win the MVP knows this game could become the decider. There is NO letting off the gas here.

If you want to win the title, you can't take the easy way out of the regular season. At least not when they aren't truly experienced in the playoffs.

Big games we need to pay attention to:
Boston at Miami this Sunday
Spurs at Los Angeles next Tuesday

tamaraw08 04-07-2011 02:25 AM

15 of the 20 losses came on the road so they absolutely need that HCA. Once they clinch that, esp on the East, bec, I don't think the Spurs would win the WCF, I would really like Rose, Deng and Boozer to rest. Thibs and his staff should also get ample time to prepare and dissect the future opponent.
At the same time, let Asik, CJ Watson etc play, expose them to situations that they would likely face in the playoffs.

VishaltotheG 04-07-2011 06:40 PM

They need to win one more game to lock up at least the 2 seed (tiebreak over Miami), so if we win this game against Boston we pretty much win the east, but if we lose, we would need to finish ahead of Boston to get the 1st seed.

ljsbb27 04-08-2011 12:14 AM

Great win tonight fellas. We really showed the Celtics why that top spot is ours and not theirs. Home court advantage is going to be a big bonus for us. Tonight solidified that.

We got Cleveland tomorrow night. Let's come out with alot of intensity and really take it to them right from tip off. Get a big lead so that the starters can rest the majority of the 4th quarter and the bench guys can get alot of playing time. Let's secure the #1 seed ASAP so our boys can get some well deserved rest.

SinJackal 04-08-2011 12:34 AM

Bulls have all but sealed up HCA over every team except SA.

I don't think both teams will make it, since that would be too good for me. :P So getting HCA over SA will very likely not come into play anyway.

The tough games coming up would be @Magic and @Knicks. I think we'll drop one of those. Spurs probably aren't going to lose to the Jazz or the Suns. But they might to LA. Bulls would basically have to win out the season to get HCA over them. I'm a bit skeptical about that happening. At least they will have HCA over the whole east soon as they beat the Cavs! Having that shit locked up with 3 games to go is just hilarious.

Bulls are easily going to the ECF at least. They've got big time momentum and confidence right now too.

DaBigReality 04-08-2011 12:38 AM

Magic will be without Dwight, Q, and Reddick. Plus J-Rich if he plays will be gimpy as hell. I would be astonished if the Bulls drop that one.

Knicks on the other hand....considering everything will be wrapped up Bulls might drop that game.

SinJackal 04-08-2011 12:51 AM

Quote:

Ah, you're right, we would have to win one more game, or Boston would have to lose 1 more game.

TIEBREAKER BASIS: From NBA.com
(-) Tie breaker not needed (better overall winning percentage)
(1) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division
(2) Head-to-head won-lost percentage (This remains tied 2-2)
(3) Division won-lost percentage (Does not apply for teams out of the division)
(4) Conference won-lost percentage
(5) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, own conference
(6) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, other conference
(7) Net Points, all games
x-Clinched Playoff Berth | o-Eliminated from Playoffs contention | e-Clinched Eastern Conference | w-Clinched Western Conference
nw-Clinched Northwest Division | p-Clinched Pacific Conference | sw-Clinched Southwest Division | a-Clinched Atlantic Division
c-Clinched Central Conference | se-Clinched Southeast Conference
*-Games remaining vs.Teams Over/Under .500

If the bolded is true, then that means. . .

If Spurs win all 3 games, Bulls can't get HCA even id they win out the season.

The Bulls would have to win out the season, and hope the Spurs lose their game against LA. Even if they won the other two, that would give Bulls the tiebreak.

If the Spurs lose one of their last three games, but it's not to the Lakers, the Bulls can win out the season and still won't earn HCA since the Spurs would have a better record against playoff bound west opponent than the Bulls do against playoff bound east opponents.

If the Bulls lose to the Magic or Knicks, the Spurs can lose to the Lakers and lose another game, and still have HCA.

So it's looking pretty unlikely that they will get HCA over SA, without Popovich resting dudes and throwing away HCA potential over Bulls. Spurs also only have 3 games left, to Bulls' 4. So they're not only sitting with one less loss, but 2 more wins already as well.

Best to just be happy about getting eastern conference HCA. It's a pretty epic feat. . . One win, and HCA for whole eastern conference. Two wins and that's HCA over every team besides SA. Not bad. :D

Crazy Style 04-08-2011 03:27 AM

Now that Dwight Howard will not play against the Bulls due to being kicked out because of technical fouls, the Bulls chances of winning out are even better now, which would just add a cherry on top to an already great season.

Remaining schedule:
4/8 at Cleveland (no way I see them losing, will clinch #1 seed)
4/10 at Orlando (no Howard, should win)
4/12 at New York (might be tough, but they could win)
4/13 at home (a lot of guys may not play much, but I can't see the Bulls just blowing this one)

Now wouldn't that be something finishing 62-20! That would be 8 games better than the 54 games I had them winning at the start of the season. Go Bulls!!!:applause: