Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detroit Pistons Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Pistons Finally Sold (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217153)

dd24 04-09-2011 12:40 AM

Pistons Finally Sold

Quote:

Pistons owner Karen Davidson announced the tentative sale of the franchise to Gores Friday afternoon. Her husband, Bill, bought the team in 1974 and built the Palace of Auburn Hills, which opened in 1988. His widow announced after his death in 2009 that she was seeking a buyer.

The two sides had been in negotiations for several months. Pistons president Alan Ostfield said he was unsure when the NBA would vote to approve the sale.

I saw this on yahoo. It's about time. Hopefully there's no lockout and the Pistons can finally make some moves around draft time.

Dreckka 04-12-2011 04:00 AM

Re: Pistons Finally Sold

Oh happy day, Oh happy day!

Nastradamus 04-12-2011 04:11 PM

Just amazing news. Ideal owner and he'll keep them at the Palace and keep Joe, for life reportedly. I love it.

Drew Sharp's article was very intersting. Basically said if it wasn't for Davison nixing deals due to financial commitment, we would have signed Gordon but not Villanueva and then traded Rip in a deal for Boozer, probably including picks. Also we would have paid Avery Johnson to come over instead of settling for Kuester. Who knows if true, but it gives you an idea of how hamstrung Joe has been. He has drafted well of late, but he surely would have not had both Rip and Gordon on the roster if he had more flexibility and Kuester wouldn't be the coach either most likely, at the least.

Since we couldn't get Boozer and only had 7 mil of space, much of which would have gone away in a year due to contract raises and draft pick signings, taking a gamble on CV's talent made sense IMO.

dd24 04-12-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nastradamus
Just amazing news. Ideal owner and he'll keep them at the Palace and keep Joe, for life reportedly. I love it.

Drew Sharp's article was very intersting. Basically said if it wasn't for Davison nixing deals due to financial commitment, we would have signed Gordon but not Villanueva and then traded Rip in a deal for Boozer, probably including picks. Also we would have paid Avery Johnson to come over instead of settling for Kuester. Who knows if true, but it gives you an idea of how hamstrung Joe has been. He has drafted well of late, but he surely would have not had both Rip and Gordon on the roster if he had more flexibility and Kuester wouldn't be the coach either most likely, at the least.

Since we couldn't get Boozer and only had 7 mil of space, much of which would have gone away in a year due to contract raises and draft pick signings, taking a gamble on CV's talent made sense IMO.

Do you have a link to that article? It does sound very interesting.... I think we all knew the deals we wanted to be made didn't happen because of the ownership thing though. The good news is I've read that Gordon and Villaneuva are a few of the guys people call about the most for trades. Maybe we'll finally see one (or both) of them involved in one.

Kombo 04-12-2011 09:32 PM

Was the Cavs game the first game where Gores was in attendance? If so, what a bonehead move by CV31 to act that way in front of the new boss.

Nastradamus 04-13-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
Do you have a link to that article? It does sound very interesting.... I think we all knew the deals we wanted to be made didn't happen because of the ownership thing though. The good news is I've read that Gordon and Villaneuva are a few of the guys people call about the most for trades. Maybe we'll finally see one (or both) of them involved in one.

No, but it was a Detroit News, Drew Sharp article on the day after the announcement was made so I'm sure you can find it off of that.

I get the feeling that both Charlie and Rip can and will be dealt this offseason. We may have to take another bad contract on for one of them. Maybe Rip for Baron Davis or something along those lines. Not that I want Davis, but if we have to have a bad contract on our hands for 2 more years, a PG would be more ideal than a SG,espeically a SG who causes chemistry issues at this point.

Charlie may be kept too. He has had plenty of games where he made an impact for us. He can be a pretty good scorer off the bench for us. Ideally he'd have a true PG type to get him the ball, as that suits his game best. I won't shed a tear if he is gone, but if we shore up the starting frontcourt and use Charlie off the bench, he does have value in an Al Harrington type role.

dd24 04-13-2011 05:44 PM

I agree, Charlie is the guy who has the most workable contract and can have some good games for us. I wouldn't be upset if he left but I think Rip or BG (or both) should go first.

Kombo 04-14-2011 05:49 PM

Of Rip, Gordon, and CV, I think I'd want to move Gordon the most.

To be honest, I don't think he was ever give a fair shot, but I think we'll retain Stuckey. With Stuckey, I think he'd reall be an ideal 6th man, the role Gordon was supposed to play.

Stuckey would be one of the best backup guards in the game, and has proven the ability to get to the line and score. If he first rotates in at the 2, he has proven the ability to go into attack mode and get to the line if the team needs it. However, for this to happen we'd have to upgrade both guard positions. This won't happen for a while (I really wish we still had Afflalo).

dd24 04-14-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kombo
Of Rip, Gordon, and CV, I think I'd want to move Gordon the most.

To be honest, I don't think he was ever give a fair shot, but I think we'll retain Stuckey. With Stuckey, I think he'd reall be an ideal 6th man, the role Gordon was supposed to play.

Stuckey would be one of the best backup guards in the game, and has proven the ability to get to the line and score. If he first rotates in at the 2, he has proven the ability to go into attack mode and get to the line if the team needs it. However, for this to happen we'd have to upgrade both guard positions. This won't happen for a while (I really wish we still had Afflalo).

I would love to see Gordon go. I agree he hasn't had the best opportunity here with the depth at SG, but I just don't see him as a guy to build around. He's got a salary that can get us plenty in return. Some other team would love to have him for a 6th man.

We'd need to have a really, really deep team in order for Stuckey to come off the bench. He's a starter on a lot of teams. I don't see us adding that kind of firepower over the course of one summer.