Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Canadian Basketball Fans: D-League Possibly Coming North (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217668)

kwajo 04-13-2011 09:50 AM

Canadian Basketball Fans: D-League Possibly Coming North

It looks like there's a chance that three Canadian teams (Quebec City, Halifax & Saint John) might jump ship from the PBL (yes I know you've never heard of it) next season and are now looking at joining the NBA D-League as a possibility. This would be an amazing development for basketball in Canada, and I would think could be a great way of leveraging the "Canada's Team" marketing the Raptors have been using by adding the ability to send players to D-League teams within the country. The only stumbling block right now is the franchise fee ($2.5 million a year), but apparently even the owner of even the smallest market team, Saint John, thinks there's a business case. Frankly I'm pumped at the possibility!

I know we don't have many east coasters on the board, but I thought this news would be of interest to hoops junkies across the country. Any thoughts?

bokes15 04-13-2011 10:19 AM

Re: Canadian Basketball Fans: D-League Possibly Coming North

:oldlol: Well we had our own personal version of the D-league this year, so maybe it was just an early taste?

Anyways, as for thoughts on it, I quite honestly have never cared about the d-league and probably never will. I think it's a good idea and all, but I just can't really bring myself to watch it.

Jballer 04-13-2011 01:15 PM

More interested in news that the LFLUS is coming to Canada :cheers:

Lflus.com

Chamberlain 04-13-2011 01:42 PM

It'd be pretty cool if a team came to Halifax. I'll be moving there in a few months, and I'd definitely check out a few games.

Harrison_Barnes 04-13-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamberlain
It'd be pretty cool if a team came to Halifax. I'll be moving there in a few months, and I'd definitely check out a few games.

I would love to have a team there.. and if it means we have to get a DL team first.. well then by all means do it! Atlantic Canada is missing a major sports team..

Chamberlain 04-13-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrison_Barnes
I would love to have a team there.. and if it means we have to get a DL team first.. well then by all means do it! Atlantic Canada is missing a major sports team..

Road trip!

Harrison_Barnes 04-13-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Road trip!

Hali isn't that much of a road trip haha. You moving up there for work or something man?

Chamberlain 04-13-2011 03:44 PM

:oldlol: From where I am it kinda is. Nah, I'm going back to school at SMU.

Harrison_Barnes 04-13-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

:oldlol: From where I am it kinda is. Nah, I'm going back to school at SMU.

Yeah I supposed your like an 1:30 past me. Thats cool, what are you taking? and were going to have to have some X vs SMU discussions for next years season lol.

kwajo 04-14-2011 02:33 PM

Harrison_Barnes is another Maritimer? Sweet! Welcome to the club!

Chamberlain you should check out the Rainmen in Halifax no matter what league they play in, the quality of play is better than you'd expect, there are a bunch of former NCAA guys on the team and they play decent basketball for less than the cost of going out to see a movie. The Metro Centre sucks as a venue for basketball though, Halifax deserves something a lot better, cause that's one of the worst arenas I've ever been in (this is my way of saying Saint John has a much nicer facility than you Nova Scotian bums :lol).

QuebecBaller 04-23-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwajo
It looks like there's a chance that three Canadian teams (Quebec City, Halifax & Saint John) might jump ship from the PBL (yes I know you've never heard of it) next season and are now looking at joining the NBA D-League as a possibility. This would be an amazing development for basketball in Canada, and I would think could be a great way of leveraging the "Canada's Team" marketing the Raptors have been using by adding the ability to send players to D-League teams within the country. The only stumbling block right now is the franchise fee ($2.5 million a year), but apparently even the owner of even the smallest market team, Saint John, thinks there's a business case. Frankly I'm pumped at the possibility!

I know we don't have many east coasters on the board, but I thought this news would be of interest to hoops junkies across the country. Any thoughts?

If the Quebec Kebs move in the D-League, they must change the logo, because right now...:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

insidehoops 08-11-2011 09:39 PM

The actual new Canadian basketball league, the NBL, will have 7 teams. Some info here:

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=8171

Chamberlain 08-11-2011 10:19 PM

Thanks, Jeff.

Can't wait to see some Halifax Rainmen games :D

Chamberlain 08-11-2011 10:22 PM

@kwajo, just seeing your post now and I completely agree. I've been to the Metro Centre for both hockey and basketball and it's just terrible.

Jballer 08-12-2011 01:26 PM

Biggest threat eva to the dominance of the NBA once we start advertising to US born players that holding a personal amunt of Marijuana is NOT a criminal offence in Canada .....

:cheers: :oldlol:

Damon Stodemyer leads "old pros" to Canada :rockon:

Saskatoon used to have a Continental basketball franchise as I recall - supported "reasonably well". Saskatchewan Storm - or Saskatoon Storm ???

Good facility in Sask Place...