Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Tristan Thompson declares for the draft (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218893)

POTTER21 04-21-2011 08:13 PM

Tristan Thompson declares for the draft

Tristan Thompson, the 6'10 freshman from Brampton Ontario, has officially declared for the draft. His projection is mid-first round pick which is a lot later than when the Raptors are expected to make their selection. Not to mention this team is pretty deep already at the PF position.

However, if they are able to turn the 3rd pick and ed davis into the 1st overall pick, to select Irving. They can try to acquire a mid first round pick with calderon, to select Thompson.

I think Thompson is more athletic and better rebounder than Ed Davis, plus he is Canadian and would be a great piece to build around.

Is this something that sounds realistic, or am I dreaming? Or is Ed Davis untouchable and worth more than the difference between 3rd and 1st pick?

kmart 04-21-2011 08:30 PM

Re: Tristan Thompson declares for the draft

Tristan Thompson is just another Ed Davis in my books. Hes athletic, grabs boards, plays defense, and scores points. He could possibly be even worse. At least Ed Davis has somewhat proven himself in the NBA. It would be great to have a Canadian on the Raps but I don't Tristan Thompson will be the guy.

FCardelle 04-21-2011 08:32 PM

If the Raptors really want Thompson, a trade for him in the draft night (maybe involving Davis) sounds more realistic to me. Ed Davis is not good enough to give up the 1st pick.

kmart 04-21-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCardelle
If the Raptors really want Thompson, a trade for him in the draft night (maybe involving Davis) sounds more realistic to me. Ed Davis is not good enough to give up the 1st pick.

Ed Davis IMO is at least a top 10 pick if the Raptors trade him. Definitely not a first overall though. I wouldn't give him up though. There aren't many young players that rebound and block shots like he can at the 4 spot. If he adds about 15-20 pounds, he could be really good in the paint.

POTTER21 04-21-2011 10:17 PM

I was thinking that Ed Davis paired with the 3rd overall pick may be attractive enough for the 1st overall, maybe not though

Thompson though is a more filled out version of Ed Davis without the injury history and much more upside imo. He has potential to play the 3 if he works on his ball skills compared to Davis who is strictly a 4.

Reef 04-21-2011 11:42 PM

Good decision by Thompson. He'll get picked in the lottery this year.

Reef 04-21-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POTTER21
I was thinking that Ed Davis paired with the 3rd overall pick may be attractive enough for the 1st overall, maybe not though

Thompson though is a more filled out version of Ed Davis without the injury history and much more upside imo. He has potential to play the 3 if he works on his ball skills compared to Davis who is strictly a 4.

I wouldn't do that. Kanter (who'll probably go 3rd) could end up being very good and I'm not sure I'd want to give up Ed on top of him for Irving. A Davis-Kanter frontcourt is solid and they complement each other well.

POTTER21 04-22-2011 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef
I wouldn't do that. Kanter (who'll probably go 3rd) could end up being very good and I'm not sure I'd want to give up Ed on top of him for Irving. A Davis-Kanter frontcourt is solid and they complement each other well.

I've been intrigued by what Kanter can bring to the table. But there have been questions about his knees and also is legitimate height which may be closer to 6'8 than to 6'10. Guess that'll figure itself out come time for draft workouts.

Pistol Pete 04-22-2011 01:15 PM

This draft is weak, Ed Davis and #3 would get accepted quickly for #1. As for Ed Davis for Tristan Thompson, that would also get accepted quickly, Ed Davis was picked higher in a better draft, he's also proven himself very capable at the NBA level in his first year. He is the most promising aspect of this team at the moment.

FCardelle 04-22-2011 02:45 PM

Imagine we win the lottery, and BC trades that 1st pick for a player with potential to become a solid starter (like Ed Davis) and the 3rd pick... that's unreal... not even BC would do something like that.

Chamberlain 04-22-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCardelle
Imagine we win the lottery, and BC trades that 1st pick for a player with potential to become a solid starter (like Ed Davis) and the 3rd pick... that's unreal... not even BC would do something like that.

If the Wizards get the first pick I could see them trading down a spot or two. Pick up a young prospect and then somebody else who they like in the draft.

They don't need Kyrie Irving, but mostly every other lottery team does.

Toni 04-22-2011 04:36 PM

Ed Davis should not be traded and his name should not be even mentioned in trade rumors. Him, DeRozan and Amir are the only pieces of this team that I am comfortable with going forward.

If Washington wins the lottery I can see them picking Derrick Williams #1. He would be a nice addition to their team.

It would be interesting if Minny would pick Irving #1 overall when they drafted Flynn and Rubio two years ago. Those picks don't seem to be working out for them. And Derrick Williams is a very comparable player to Beasley as well.

As far as Tristan Thompson goes, I think he is a nice player and could be a rotation player in the NBA in a few years. But already having Davis and Amir would make him a redundant addition to the team IMO.

bluerap 04-23-2011 09:14 AM

I don't think Thompson is in the same league as Davis.
And I don't think it is a given that we could simply acquire a late draft pick to get him. It has proven very difficult for this organization to acquire draft picks.

Most GM's are loath to trade them, unless acquiring a superstar like dwill or melo. (BC being the dumbass exception).

Ed Davis and #3 for Irving is an interesting proposal. I could see a few teams doing it because Ed has already proved he will be a solid NBA starter that can play good team basketball and good d. Let's not forget that Irving missed most of the season with a serious injury. I would be comfortable enough going forward this season with Amir as our starting 4. There always seems to be a ton of PF prospects in most drafts anyway.

Toni 04-23-2011 01:58 PM

Remember that Kyrie Irving is a relatively unknown talent as well. We seen him play a few games and he showed flashes of his potential and he`s been compared to PGs like CP3, but it doesn`t mean that he`s a lock to be an NBA all-star or anything.

If we don`t get a pick in the 1-3 range I would maybe consider it because I don`t want to draft Montiejunas or any of those other guys ranked 4-10. But I would be perfectly comfortable taking Derrick Williams or Enes Kanter if we don`t get Irving, and keep Ed Davis in a Raptor uniform in the process.

POTTER21 04-24-2011 08:16 PM

Ed Davis to Tristan Thompson comparison

Ed Davis
Freshman 18.8 Min 6.7ppg 6.6rpg 1.7 blk
Sophomore 27.9 Min 13.4ppg 9.6rpg 2.8blk

Tristan Thompson
Freshman 30.9 Min 13.1ppg 7.8rpg 2.4blk

Looking at the numbers, Thompson's Freshman stats are comparable to Davis' Sophomore stats. He may need another year to develop but his ceiling is alot higher than Davis' imo.

Although I really like Davis' game, one of the reasons I would favour Thompson instead is the personality and motivation difference. Throughout the year, I sometimes felt like Davis didn't enjoy being in Toronto by how he spoke to the media. He also doesn't seem to be very excited or motivated when he plays.

On the other hand, Thompson is a guy that is full of energy and would love to play in his home country. He seems genuinely motivated to get better, reminiscent of Demar Derozan.

These may seem like minor differences and not worth the risk it may take to make it happen, just would love to see it.

As a side note, Cory Joseph, another freshman Canadian, has entered the draft. He is a highly skilled PG, with not a ton of upside, but will likely become a solid contributor. I am Intrigued by his commitment to defence and his shooting ability but wish he went back to Texas for 1 more year of development.