Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Rumor is Donnie Walsh wants to keep Billups next season (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219610)

insidehoops 04-26-2011 02:32 PM

Rumor is Donnie Walsh wants to keep Billups next season

According to a team source, Walsh wants to keep Billups even at the inflated price for a player who will turn 35 in September. If Dolan, or whoever is advising Dolan (wink, wink) decides to go in a different direction, that could cause more friction between the Knicks' president and the team owner. In his exit interview, Billups used the opportunity to make a compelling case as to why he should return. He reminded everyone, D'Antoni included, that he's the perfect leader to handle two high-maintenance superstars. NY Daily News

Chauncey Billups hardly had a chance to live up to his "Mr. Big Shot" moniker in the NBA playoffs. If the Knicks guard gets his way, he'll give it another go with New York in 2011-12. "I would love the opportunity to really try it up with these guys," Billups said after Boston completed a four-game sweep Sunday to knock the Knicks out of the playoffs. "Not like play 30 games after a trade, like really have a season." Detroit Free Press

Scoooter 04-26-2011 02:35 PM

Re: Rumor is Donnie Walsh wants to keep Billups next season

Trade bait. I hope.

franchize 04-26-2011 06:34 PM

I'm apathetic toward it.I dont think it hurts or helps us next year until the trade deadline.We can either get the cap space now and see who we can get this summer or see who is greedy for Billups expirer next year.Either way, we're in the driver's seat.No need to panic or rush.

knickscity 04-26-2011 06:58 PM

If we don't give Billups that final year, I doesn't mean we have 14 mil of cap space.

It's more like 6 mil, because we have to buy him out for just under 4.

So if the CBA were to stay somewhat similar. give Billups the money, get an MLE to use which as of last year was just under 6.

See what available (CP3?), trade Billups expiring contract.

franchize 04-27-2011 08:45 AM

How do we acquire an MLE?That was the one part of the GM side of basketball that perplexed me...all the exceptions and exemptions.

Clutch 04-27-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchize
How do we acquire an MLE?That was the one part of the GM side of basketball that perplexed me...all the exceptions and exemptions.

Under this CBA you allowed to use MLE once a year.

MLE is around $5.5 mil (I'm not sure) and it allows you to exceed the cap.

For example:
You are 1 million over the cap and you want to sign a player for a 4 million dollars.In normal terms you couldn't be able to do that but you can use MLE to sign that guy and put your team even more over the cap.

franchize 04-27-2011 01:00 PM

I know that part of it.I thought knickscity was saying if we trade Billups we get one via the trade.Thanks though...I didnt know the MLE was that low this year.I thought it was 6 and change

Clutch 04-27-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

I know that part of it.I thought knickscity was saying if we trade Billups we get one via the trade.Thanks though...I didnt know the MLE was that low this year.I thought it was 6 and change

I found this:
Quote:

The MLE is $5.854 million for the 200910 NBA regular season

So I think it's about the same for this season.

franchize 04-27-2011 02:48 PM

It's gonna be tough getting someone to sign for that.You think that would get a guy like Chandler?

Clutch 04-27-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

It's gonna be tough getting someone to sign for that.You think that would get a guy like Chandler?

No,I think the Nuggets would match the offer (He is RFA).

Besides that,I don't want Chandler here if that means we won't get a center.

Clutch 04-27-2011 02:57 PM

Jpdabrams: Knicks announce they picked up Chauncey Billups's option

alanhahn Alan Hahn
The #Knicks just announced that they will not waive Chauncey Billups. More to come. #fb
8 minutes ago

It seems like Walsh will stay.

knickscity 04-27-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Tyson or Wilson?

Tyson isn't leaving Dallas.

They save over 10mil by not bringing back Caron Butler, so signing Tyson will not be an issue.

Plus Tyson makes around 12 mil per now, and I doubt anyone flaunts that amount at him, so they win again.

Now as far as Wilson goes......

I like Will but the Knicks have to be prudent with their dough.

No room for error, every move including the draft needs to be a home run.

bluechox2 04-29-2011 08:59 AM

trade billups and fields for chandler and lawson

Clutch 04-29-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluechox2
trade billups and fields for chandler and lawson

No way the Nuggets would accept that.

knickscity 04-29-2011 10:54 AM

I know its off topic, but does amyone see any difference between Ty Lawson and Toney Douglas?