Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   eragon...must be elvish for "crap" (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22138)

jbot 12-16-2006 08:33 PM

eragon...must be elvish for "crap"

just got done watching this horrible movie. i was about to walk out after a half hour, but i figured the battle scenes looked decent in the commercial...yeah, right. :sleeping :sleeping

for me, the most irritating part of the film is the editing. it's got to the worst i've seen in a while. it jumps from scene to scene, almost cutting off some dialogue at times. reminds me a bit of how attack of the clones was edited.
the story skips around the characters so u don't get a real feel for them either. it seems there's big gaping holes in the storyline. i'm not gonna ruin it for those who haven't and want to see it. even the special effects don't make up for anything. there is a scene that's right from star wars and there's another taken right from one of those lord of the rings flicks.

why are so many bad guys portrayed with bald actors?

so, what it boils down to, don't waste your $6 on this junk.

DreamRuled 12-16-2006 09:40 PM

Ditto...the book was great, but the movie (as usual) sucks in comparison. The script was pretty poor, and plot lines were left out. Not worth the $, especially if you've read the book.

Mathius 12-17-2006 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamRuled
Ditto...the book was great, but the movie (as usual) sucks in comparison. The script was pretty poor, and plot lines were left out. Not worth the $, especially if you've read the book.

Great, I plan to go see this one in 40 minutes. Already made plans.

I had a big problem with this movie when it was first announced.

The book was written when the author was 15 and finished in 1998 and published by the guy's parents. Nobody read it or was interested in it until some guy read in 2002, and republished it in 2003. Then all the sudden it hit the best seller list.

It's a decent book, but a lot of stuff seems stolen from other works with just slight changes. Even a lot of the names in the book seem to be taken straight from Tolkien with just a few letters changed.

Also, the series was never finished.

Book 1 was "Eragon", and Book 2 was "Eldest", but the series was never completed.

Yet already it has a movie deal and a video game.

Why not make a movie about WoT, or a Terry Pratchet book, or countless others that are better written or better organized, or FINISHED!

I still kind've want to see it, because I can't wait to see how they end the movie, considering the main enemy, King whatshisname hasn't even appeared in the books yet, except in a few brief stories.

Mathius

Mathius 12-17-2006 04:26 PM

Just got back from watching it. It was a decent flick, not great. Obviously they left it open for part 2 (or 3 or whatever). Don't remember much from part 2, mostly it was training, with a few big parts (I don't want to spoil it for those of you haven't read it). I think you could easily gloss over a lot in book 2 if you were going to make a movie about it, so if the guy ever finishes the series it may be possible to combine 2 and 3, if he finishes it in 3. That was a mouthful.

My buddy watched it and he hasn't read the books and he said the same thing, it was ok. He was a trooper sitting there watching it with me *****ing, 'that wasn't in the book. that wasn't in the book. that wasn't in the book'.

Mathius

Seņor Cedric 12-18-2006 06:21 AM

4/10 from me. I didn't think much of it, and laughed out loud when the dragon said: "Rip his heart out". lame. Me and my date had a good laugh though.

Mathius 12-18-2006 06:08 PM

What didn't you guys like about it? And first, please let me know if you read the book before you give your opinion. I want to know if it is bias or not, because mine is, as I've read both books.

I thought it was at least on part with Dragonheart, which was in a similar vein. It was an ok movie. Certainly not LotR or Harry Potter, but still good.

Mathius

jbot 12-18-2006 06:58 PM

the whole movie just seemed generic, like those crappy movies made for the scifi channel. there were alot of holes in the plotline, ex: eragon suddenly starts spurting out all these magic words. how did he know them cause it wasn't explained. john malkovich's acting was dog poop (as well as everyone else's) and the indoor sets looked too plain.

the only character i even sorta liked was the evil shade, even though he reminded me of some 80's metal band singer.

did u see the ripoff scenes from star wars and lord of the rings? lame-o.

Mathius 12-18-2006 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbot
the whole movie just seemed generic, like those crappy movies made for the scifi channel. there were alot of holes in the plotline, ex: eragon suddenly starts spurting out all these magic words. how did he know them cause it wasn't explained. john malkovich's acting was dog poop (as well as everyone else's) and the indoor sets looked too plain.

the only character i even sorta liked was the evil shade, even though he reminded me of some 80's metal band singer.

did u see the ripoff scenes from star wars and lord of the rings? lame-o.

Well, to be fair... in the book, there were months of travel where Brom taught Eragon the magic, and sword fighting. Later after Brom died, he continued swordplay against his other companion (I can't remember his name, starts with an M, the one that got locked up).

In the book, the King never appeared (book 1 or 2). There was mention of him in Brom's story (which was much better in the book), and they talked about him, but he never directly appeared. And I've never been a fan of Malcovich.

Also, the book had several ripoffs, some of them I mentioned above, like Tolkien, so the movie if it was true to the book, was going to have these same faults.

One big thing about the movie that irritated me, was there were no races. Urgals were mentioned, but they just looked like oversized humans.

In the book, Aria was an elf, there were dwarves among the Varden, and Urgals were more like a cross between an Orc and a bear.

Mathius