Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Derek Fisher not retiring just yet (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222041)

insidehoops 05-11-2011 11:03 AM

Derek Fisher not retiring just yet

Fisher may be 87 years old, but he's going to keep playing

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7663

TaLvsCuaL 05-11-2011 11:08 AM

Re: Derek Fisher not retiring just yet

I've always liked Fisher, but he should know when to retire. Currently is a burden for the team, can hardly add anything.

JohnnySic 05-11-2011 11:10 AM

Needs to be the backup.

gox 05-11-2011 11:13 AM

fisher's only valuable when he's clutch, this year he wasn't.

24r2 05-11-2011 11:17 AM

im really excited about next year's LA(unless a lockout happens), hopefully it becomes 09 all over again

brownmamba00 05-11-2011 11:17 AM

:facepalm

If he starts next season :facepalm

PrimeJohnnyDepp 05-11-2011 11:20 AM

don't want to be mean, but just ****ing retire. i loved you as a backup in 1998. that free-throw jump shot in the Bulls game was amazing.

But if he stays, coach has to be nice to him, and team sucks.

AJ2k8 05-11-2011 11:22 AM

If everybody thinks he should retire then Steve Blake may aswell too. Derek played good D in the playoffs against CP3 and is still quite easily the best fit the lakers have or can get without giving up too much talent.

In future if they get a much better point guard then it would be understandable to shift him onto the bench but why would you switch the starter who's played god knows how many games along side kobe for someone who doesn't know the system as well and isn't all that much more talented than the current starter..

HylianNightmare 05-11-2011 11:23 AM

backup time

brownmamba00 05-11-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ2k8
If everybody thinks he should retire then Steve Blake may aswell too. Derek played good D in the playoffs against CP3 and is still quite easily the best fit the lakers have or can get without giving up too much talent.

In future if they get a much better point guard then it would be understandable to shift him onto the bench but why would you switch the starter who's played god knows how many games along side kobe for someone who doesn't know the system as well and isn't all that much more talented than the current starter..

8.2 PPG 3.6 APG 2.7 RPP 43% FG this playoffs :rolleyes: and his defense is average at best at this point of his career

He brings leadership to the team but still :hammerhead:
he should come of the bench next year, we need a PG a la Teague next year.
Someone who can drive and defend.

rwfletch22 05-11-2011 11:30 AM

Player/Coach ................:confusedshrug: I love D Fish, but I would want him wearing a suit more next year than a jersey......I could totally see him be an asst. coach

Scholar 05-11-2011 11:38 AM

DFish is one of the most respectable and well spoken NBA players I've ever watched play this lovely game of basketball, but I think he needs to throw in the towel. 5 rings, multiple Finals appearances, helping return a dynasty to its glory, playing with some of the most legendary players of today's era... All of that is on his resume. Don't forget the 0.4 second game winning shot against the Spurs.
Since he isn't retiring and will most likely continue playing for the Lakers, I'd like to see him come off the bench. I can understand that he's a veteran player and thus receives major play time for that, but he's getting slower and older every season. Time to bring in a younger, quicker PG.

AJ2k8 05-11-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownmamba00
8.2 PPG 3.6 APG 2.7 RPP 43% FG this playoffs :rolleyes: and his defense is average at best at this point of his career

He brings leadership to the team but still :hammerhead:
he should come of the bench next year, we need a PG a la Teague next year.
Someone who can drive and defend.

I agree that a younger/more talented point guard is on the to do list but if it is not addressed which is very possible and they are left with Fish and Blake again next season then why bother benching him in favor of Blake? Less minutes i can understand but benching him given the same situation seems like a sideways move.

In relation to his defense i believe it's on par with most point guards who are past their athletic prime, the lakers had a system to funnel quick point guards towards the big men and he executed it fine. Only reason he gets so much flak is because he's on the highest profile team in the league and he doesn't bring as much on O as some other point guards who still get decent minutes that are over 30.

LMFAO 05-11-2011 12:10 PM

great news for the rest of the league. :applause:

ZeN 05-11-2011 12:11 PM

He would do well to back up Felton or some other cheap PG..

He better not be starting..