Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Will Minnesota take Irving with first pick? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222592)

DStebb716 05-14-2011 04:20 PM

Will Minnesota take Irving with first pick?

If they get the first overall pick, would they take Irving? He is obvioulsy the best PG in the draft and they "need" one. But that would probably piss off Rubio further and make him definitely not come, and it would also take the value away from Rubio because everybody knows they don't need him.

I don't see what else they could take, though. They're one of those teams in the situation where they have relatively young players in every position but unfortunately they are mostly mediocre aside from Kevin Love. Wesley Johnson could shape up to be good, but Beasley has already established himself as a David Lee type player that puts up good numbers but has no impact on the game.

GOBB 05-14-2011 04:25 PM

Re: Will Minnesota take Irving with first pick?

Johnny Flynn, Ricky Rubio, Kyrie Irving. If Twolves were a college program? That would be the place to go as a star PG recruit. :roll:

I dont see why Wolves dont trade the pick and improve the team. How long can you live in the lottery? Forever? Time to sell that #1 pick to the highest bidder. Get some proven, established talent there instead of young, needs to develop talent. I mean look at the Wolves makeup. Luke Ridnour is 30, rest of the team is 25 and under. Their two best players are both 22. :confusedshrug:

RedBlackAttack 05-14-2011 04:26 PM

They wouldn't consider Derrick Williams? Irving and Williams seem like the consensus Top 2 in this draft. It is possible Kanter could move up on some draft boards, though, with good workouts.

I can tell you with near certainty that, if the Cavs get the No. 1 pick, they are taking Irving. I don't even think there is a discussion for anyone else. I've even heard rumors that, if the Cavs don't get the top pick, they may attempt to trade into it because they want Irving that bad.

I don't agree with that, btw.

Dasher 05-14-2011 04:28 PM

I think they should package the pick with some young players and make a move toward being relevant. They have a lot of attractive and redundant pieces. The question is what superstars are available?

JMT 05-14-2011 04:37 PM

You can't continually waste high draft picks on PG that aren't going to pan out. Count me as one that isn't sold that a guy who played what, 11 really good games as a college player...all vs Oct/Nov competition...is such a sure thing.

I think Williams is the closest thing to a sure thing in this draft, but don't know if he's a fit with the T'Wolves. Love, Beasley and Williams is a small front line without a guy who can really defend.

It's a weak, weak draft. One of the weakest in a decade. If they can parlay their pick into a couple legitimate NBA pros, they'd be wise to do so. You're not going to get any stars for a pick in this draft, but you can get players that will help.

The one thing I do agree with is, if it will keep Rubio overseas, picking Irving looks a little better. Rubio will never...never...be an NBA-caliber player. Not nearly physically strong enough and doesn't have a frame that indicates he ever will be. Can't shoot. Not " a poor shooter". Just simply can't shoot. And if you're not strong, fast and athletic enough to defend or attack the rim, and can't shoot from outside, you're not an NBA player. You're just Ricky Rubio, the Great White Hype.

TrueGreenFan 05-14-2011 04:43 PM

I think they should package the #1 pick for a Monta Ellis and a serviceable defensive big.

bleedinpurpleTwo 05-14-2011 04:46 PM

Trade Rubio for a lottery pick. Draft Irving #1.

RedBlackAttack 05-14-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
Trade Rubio for a lottery pick.

Who in the hell would do that?

JMT 05-14-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

WNBA? That's the only lottery pick Rubio is getting you. NBA GM's know he's nothing.

8BeastlyXOIAD 05-14-2011 04:51 PM

Ricky Rubio will be coming to Minnesota to play for the Wolves next season.

Lmao @ you discrediting Michael Beasley because he puts up medicore numbers on a bad team.

Michael Beasley is legit! He can be the 1st option on a winning team you know why? Well for 1 reason he is still improving, he is still young(22), his offensive aresnal is as good as the best scorer in the league and he can takeover a game as good as anyone in the NBA!!

Michael Beasley averaged 22/6/1 48FG% TS%55 before he went down with injuries in Jan&Feb and was not even 100% in March.

^^Keep in mind this is his first season being the first option in the NBA, as well as playing and starting @ the 3 spot.

SMH @ that statement.

Quote:

"Offensively, I've been a big believer in him," Rivers said before his Celtics beat the Timberwolves 96-93 on Monday night. "I just think he can score. I said it two years ago: I think one day he may lead the league in scoring. He just knows how to score the ball. He has a Carmelo ability to score the ball."
Beasley scored 19 points, playing only 23 minutes because of foul trouble.
"He's a matchup problem every night," Rivers said. "He's tough for 3s [small forwards] to guard because of his size. He's too quick for 4s [power forwards]. And he can shoot. Obviously that's the key. He has quickness and a shot at that size. That makes him tough to guard."

Doc Rivers on Michael Beasley offensive skills and compares him to your boy Melo.

bleedinpurpleTwo 05-14-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Who in the hell would do that?

apparently a lot of clubs think very very highly of Rubio.
He is already NBA-caliber defender and passer. All he has to work on is his outside shooting, which is comparatively easy. He has more experience than just about any kid in this draft, against better competition.
There is a reason Minny has been begging him to sign-up. There is a reason that clubs have approached Minny about varying trade scenarios.
Having said that, I think Irving will be a superstar. Rubio will be a starter, but not a superstar. jmo.

bleedinpurpleTwo 05-14-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
WNBA? That's the only lottery pick Rubio is getting you. NBA GM's know he's nothing.

that would be incorrect.

8BeastlyXOIAD 05-14-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

I like this deal.

Or maybe Rubio to the clippers for Kaman and future 1st round pick?

JMT 05-14-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

apparently a lot of clubs think very very highly of Rubio.
He is already NBA-caliber defender and passer. All he has to work on is his outside shooting, which is comparatively easy. He has more experience than just about any kid in this draft, against better competition.
There is a reason Minny has been begging him to sign-up. There is a reason that clubs have approached Minny about varying trade scenarios.
Having said that, I think Irving will be a superstar. Rubio will be a starter, but not a superstar. jmo.

Yes. We often see guys with lots of experience who become dramatically better shooters.

Clutch 05-14-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Michael Beasley is legit! He can be the 1st option on a winning team

No,he can't.
But he is a nice 2nd option.
Quote:

Doc Rivers on Michael Beasley offensive skills and compares him to your boy Melo.

Melo is way better than Beasley,probably better than Beasley will ever be.