Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Your draft board (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224253)

Qwyjibo 05-26-2011 03:29 PM

Your draft board

I know there's a bunch of ________ Bandwagon draft threads but this isn't talking about one specific player.

The Raptors are picking at #5 and Irving and Williams will be off the board. What is your draft board for the other players? Mine:

1. Kanter
2. Knight
3. Valanciunas

One of these guys will be available at #5, I'm just really hoping it's Kanter. If Utah takes Knight and Cleveland for whatever reason likes Valanciunas, it might happen.

I like Kanter's size and mobility as a big man. I don't think he'll be a great defensive player but he could be solid enough and will definitely rebound. He's always going to be around the basket on offense to cleanup some garbage points. Assuming that Ed Davis continues to improve, that would be good some toughness in the frontcourt.

Knight is all about potential. He has great size for a PG which will help on defense and I think he can become a very good shooter. It's his shot selection that is holding him back for now. The ball-handling and playmaking isn't the greatest but again, he's only 19. I don't think he'll be much of an improvement over Bayless in his first year but he has the talent to be clearly better down the road.

Valanciunas is a "I know very little about him but I like the idea of the player he could become". A huge risk but a team as bad as the Raptors needs to hit a home run in one of these upcoming drafts.

Chamberlain 05-27-2011 12:06 AM

Re: Your draft board

Whoever is available between Kanter and Valanciunas. If they are both available? Preferably Kanter, but it all depends on what the team is comfortable with and what happens during the workouts. I'd be happy with either one of those two players.

If, for some reason, those two players both aren't available, that would mean probably Brandon Knight is the one who drops out of the top 4. I'm not even so sure I'd pick him. Next years crop of Point Guards is amazing, so I think I'd prefer the Raptors take a player like Kawhi Leonard or Jan Vesely if the two big men aren't available.

Again, it all depends on what happens in the next few days/weeks with workouts, but as of now:

Kanter
Valanciunas
Leonard
Vesely

I'd love for this team to get Myck Kabongo in the 2012 draft.

Chamberlain 05-27-2011 12:07 AM

I'm intrigued also by Chris Singleton. By no means would I pick him at 5, but to pick up a mid first rounder or trade down to get him, I'd be interested.

kmart 05-27-2011 12:16 AM

Mine would be

1. Valanciunas
2. Kanter
3. Walker
4. Knight

I like the idea of taking the risk in a draft like this and to me thats what Kanter and Valanciunas are. Kanter would be more of a risk having not played any ball for the last year.

I'm not sold on Knight yet either. I prefer Kemba more being having the skills and quickness that he possesses. Knight would still be a project imo.

Qwyjibo 05-27-2011 12:40 AM

Vesely scares me a bit because I don't know if he's going to have a position in the NBA. He seems like has a typical tweener body/game like that of Anthony Randolph. Randolph isn't a bad player but it's tough to find big minutes for that type of player unless he has some truly oustanding aspect to his game.

Burgz 05-27-2011 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Vesely scares me a bit because I don't think if he's going to have a position in the NBA. He seems like has a typical tweener body/game like that of Anthony Randolph. Randolph isn't a bad player but it's tough to find big minutes for that type of player unless he has some truly oustanding aspect to his game.

he has a better motor than Randolph, but at the end of the day he is a big risk because of his tweener issues, i agree

i can see him becoming like a radmonovic type player in the league, his lack of strength won't allow him to finish like he does in euroleague play

Reef 05-27-2011 03:08 AM

My board is:
1.Kanter
2.Walker (sorry Q, lol)
3.Knight
4.Valanciunas
5.Biyombo

I want no part of Vesley. I don't see him being able to defend well in the NBA.

Cleveland apparently likes Val more than Kanter, so it's very possible Kanter could fall to us if Utah takes Knight.

Athletic testing results are out: Click Here

Kemba with a 39 inch max vertical, Knight with one of the top agility/sprint times plus a 37 inch max vertical. Kanter was solid in all categories.

Doko 05-27-2011 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmart
Mine would be

1. Valanciunas
2. Kanter
3. Walker
4. Knight

this

bluerap 05-27-2011 09:32 AM

I'm going to call it right now - I think kanter would be a big mistake. I have serious doubts about his body holding up over 80+ games.

1. Kemba, Kemba, Kemba...
2. Val
3. Knight
4. Kanter

I am very intrigued by val, but I can't pass up the desire for a proven pg that has a winning track record and a real ability to penetrate.

I also believe Vessely will be one of the better players in this draft but I want a pg or a centre in this draft.

Qwyjibo 05-27-2011 11:18 AM

Valanciunas is such an interesting player. I wonder what his best-case scenario will be? He seems like he'd be a more mobile player that will block shots with his length but I question his strength from the few videos I've seen.

Kanter, IMO is going to be more of a solid fundamental player. I don't think he'll block many shots with his wing-span but he definitely has the size to still be an effective defender if he uses his feet and body well. If he has a good motor though, I think he can be a force on the boards.

Kanter might be more read now and still has tons of potential being so young but Valanciunas might have the higher potential ceiling.

Oh and please no Kemba Walker. :D

BoogieWoogieMan 05-27-2011 11:53 AM

Gotta go against you this time Q...

I'm rooting for the team big time at getting Kemba, I know he's going to struggle badly in the first few years (more lottery bound draft pics), but his athletic abilities and his character is the reason of me being such a big fan of his. He had to carry a team practically on his back and got it done, and with efficient numbers to boot. Also, the bigger the game, the better he plays. I could see the team rallying behind him during the clutch in the fourth quarter.

I would still pick Kanter first but if he is gone, then KEMBA!!!

Nastradamus 05-27-2011 12:30 PM

Kanter or Valanciunas can be the C you need, so just pray Knight or someone passes those 2. Valanciunas is Joakim Noah with a pick and roll game on O. Kanter is Horford with a physical down low game.

Qwyjibo 05-27-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
Gotta go against you this time Q...

I'm rooting for the team big time at getting Kemba, I know he's going to struggle badly in the first few years (more lottery bound draft pics), but his athletic abilities and his character is the reason of me being such a big fan of his. He had to carry a team practically on his back and got it done, and with efficient numbers to boot. Also, the bigger the game, the better he plays. I could see the team rallying behind him during the clutch in the fourth quarter.

I would still pick Kanter first but if he is gone, then KEMBA!!!

I'm just not buying what people are selling on him. It mostly has to do with him being a "winner" or "clutch" or having a good character. Intangible things rather than actual skills and production on the court. I don't think he's a good shooter or a good playmaker. He's also smaller than Knight. I see a worse version of Raymond Felton in him.

DJMason 05-27-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Valanciunas is such an interesting player. I wonder what his best-case scenario will be? He seems like he'd be a more mobile player that will block shots with his length but I question his strength from the few videos I've seen.

Kanter, IMO is going to be more of a solid fundamental player. I don't think he'll block many shots with his wing-span but he definitely has the size to still be an effective defender if he uses his feet and body well. If he has a good motor though, I think he can be a force on the boards.

Kanter might be more read now and still has tons of potential being so young but Valanciunas might have the higher potential ceiling.

Oh and please no Kemba Walker. :D

And also Kanter can shoot teh threeze (I emphasize CAN)!!!

Seriously though, I've seen some videos of him in workouts and he has a decent shot and what looks like some smooth'ish post moves (and yes he did hit some threes) so I think he has a chance at being a decent offensive option for a big as well, which I'm not quite sure Davis can be yet.

bluerap 05-27-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

I'm just not buying what people are selling on him. It mostly has to do with him being a "winner" or "clutch" or having a good character. Intangible things rather than actual skills and production on the court. I don't think he's a good shooter or a good playmaker. He's also smaller than Knight. I see a worse version of Raymond Felton in him.

Not sure what you see that no one else does?
Kemba is an efficient pg who has proven himself on a big stage.
Not to mention he made Knight look like a d-leaguer in the tourney.
The only concern is his size but that hasn't stopped Chris Paul.

Kanter is an injury waiting to happen.