Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Stop calling blacks "articulate" (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22499)

yobore 12-19-2006 01:42 PM

Stop calling blacks "articulate"

Anyone else notice black people get called articulate or well-spoken about 100x more than white people?

Obama is articulate, Condoleeza is articulate, Colin Powell is articulate, etc.

It's like the media has to point out when a black person talks well to differentiate them from the rest of blacks who are apparently unintelligible. It's like saying "he's not one of them."

B-Low 12-19-2006 02:00 PM

Interesting point. Now that you mention it though I do think that rather than pointing out when a black person is well spoken, people should make specific note of the people like the Ying Yang Twins who talk like idiots. Maybe if they get called out enough about it they'll stop lol

Rasheed1 12-19-2006 02:05 PM

yes we know its a back-handed complement...

Starbury4MVP 12-19-2006 04:01 PM

I have heard that MILLIONS of times. I have one back friend who read at 8th grade graduation with 3 white people. At rehersal he would speak normally, and my teachers would talk about how well he spoke, but not with any of the white kids.

final.wrath 12-19-2006 06:17 PM

or... you could take it as a compliments when its due.

Ryansrams 12-19-2006 11:11 PM

Same thing as comparing a good White hoops player to Larry Bird. Its sad some people just can't make judgments or statments without race involved.

Juvenile 12-21-2006 07:57 AM

All you blacks here are pretty articulate, I really have to admire the way you are able to post on an internet message board.

The finder may keep any irony he might discover in this post

ALBballer 12-21-2006 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryansrams
Same thing as comparing a good White hoops player to Larry Bird. Its sad some people just can't make judgments or statments without race involved.

Or when they make a point how a certain black "athletic" player is so smart, it's definitely a back-handed compliment like Rasheed said.

reppy 12-22-2006 03:58 AM

I think part of the problem is that most white people don't really have many close black friends. All they see is the gangster nonsense on TV.

i seen hippos 12-22-2006 04:19 AM

and because 95% of white people just don't care and wqanti to get FUKCING WQADTES!!!!!!!

statman32 12-22-2006 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i seen hippos
and because 95% of white people just don't care and wqanti to get FUKCING WQADTES!!!!!!!

lol huh

SCdac 12-22-2006 08:32 AM

It goes both ways. Not necessarily just white people saying this stuff. I've heard black dudes talking to their own about "talking too white" or "being too white". Like black people are supposed to sound dumb and ignorant or something. I'm sure many of you have heard it... On the other hand, you have immense amounts of black comedians impersonating white people as a nerdy, intelligent, and articulate race (as if we all got straight A's in english and speech). Sure it's just comedy, but black people too can use the media to drive certain misconceptions and stereotypes. It's not a race thing in my opinion, it's a cultural and sociological thing. Stereotypes run abound, and it's not just toward African Americans.

Rasheed1 12-22-2006 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCdac
It goes both ways. Not necessarily just white people saying this stuff. I've heard black dudes talking to their own about "talking too white" or "being too white". Like black people are supposed to sound dumb and ignorant or something. I'm sure many of you have heard it... On the other hand, you have immense amounts of black comedians impersonating white people as a nerdy, intelligent, and articulate race (as if we all got straight A's in english and speech). Sure it's just comedy, but black people too can use the media to drive certain misconceptions and stereotypes. It's not a race thing in my opinion, it's a cultural and sociological thing. Stereotypes run abound, and it's not just toward African Americans.

^yeah whites do that too... Call white people who hang with black folks ******s or n*gger lovers......

its just pathetic

TMacsOneGoodEye 12-22-2006 11:22 AM

It won't stop until the image that blacks portray (and are portrayed as by everyone) changes.

Some of us know not to take that image seriously, but the majority of us don't, hence the reason when we see a black person not acting the way we've been programmed to think black people act we get excited and bring it up.

Take Your Lumps 12-22-2006 07:16 PM

I used to hear that all the time about D-Rob. I've heard it several times from white people about Dwight Howard.