Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Triano Fired! (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225019)

Grey Dawn 06-01-2011 05:38 PM

Triano Fired!

Yep.

Just saw on Fan590 that the announcement's happening in the next hour.

Qwyjibo 06-01-2011 05:49 PM

Re: Triano Fired!

Unless they get one of the absolute best coaches in the league (Sloan or Adelman) it makes little difference until there is a massive talent upgrade on the roster. Also, unless it's one of those establisehd coaches, expect the next guy to be just another Colangelo puppet like Jay was.

IMO, coaching in the NBA means little unless you have one of those rare legend-quality coaches. It still comes down to the players on the floor and as long as your coach isn't a total moron, you can win. Triano was just doing what he thought would extend his employment and that was to follow orders from the top. That's something Sam Mitchell wasn't doing and look what it got him.

So to summarize, like 90% of my posts on here, Bryan Colangelo sucks.

Grey Dawn 06-01-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Unless they get one of the absolute best coaches in the league (Sloan or Adelman) it makes little difference until there is a massive talent upgrade on the roster. Also, unless it's one of those establisehd coaches, expect the next guy to be just another Colangelo puppet like Jay was.

That's what Doug Smith is saying right now on 590, and that Colangelo 'had a bullet to fire and he fired it too early'

Skywalker 06-01-2011 05:54 PM

lol yet BC is still here smfh

Prodigy 06-01-2011 05:55 PM

I fail to see the purpose of this move.

It seems like BC is making a move to make a move and show everyone that there will be (positive) changes in the immediate near future which I somewhat doubt.

Kungfro 06-01-2011 05:57 PM

Perhaps fired isn't the right term, but he isn't gonna be the coach anymore.

Quote:

Toronto Raptors President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo announced Wednesday the club will not exercise its option on head coach Jay Triano for the 2011-12 season. Triano will be retained as a consultant to the basketball team as a special assistant to the president and general manager.

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7735

Chamberlain 06-01-2011 05:58 PM

You're fired. But here, have this other job!

lilbeastnani 06-01-2011 06:00 PM

I was just about to post this. He wasn't exactly "fired" though, I'm pretty sure they had a team option for this season and didn't pick it up. They also gave him a position as a consultant and assistant to the president. Either way, I wouldn't be that excited about this move unless they picked up someone who was significantly better than him as a coach.

Qwyjibo 06-01-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

as a special assistant to the president and general manager.
A masseuse. Happy endings mandatory.

Doko 06-01-2011 07:06 PM

Never happy when a guy who worked hard leaves the organization (even tho he isn't exactly leaving).
Let's pray this means Messina is taking over.

Himan12 06-01-2011 07:32 PM

This organization is such a mess, hopefully the rest of the coaching staff has been fired...time to bring in a defensive minded coach and staff.

imo Triano deserves another job with the raptors, because lets be honest here BC was calling the shots for him.

Anyway list of things BC has to do:
Triano staff fired? check.
Bargs traded? Not yet.
Calderon traded? Not yet.

Chamberlain 06-01-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doko
Never happy when a guy who worked hard leaves the organization (even tho he isn't exactly leaving).
Let's pray this means Messina is taking over.

That would be interesting, for sure. What kind of coach is he? I hear he's a great coach but I don't know anything about him.

Himan12 06-01-2011 07:35 PM

^ Ditto.

bluerap 06-01-2011 07:37 PM

I don't know. The reality is that Jay couldn't get it done as coach, and I'm not talking about last year. BC has a hard decision and he decided he wants to make a change. Seems to me he did it in a pretty classy way. Obviously if Jay got another head coaching position he would take it (maybe in college?) but he is an asset. He has a strong resume and people really respect him in basketball. I'm glad he got the chance but think it would have made more sense for that chance to have been with the current team, rather than the bosh lead veteran team.

We'll see who BC hires. His history suggests he's not going to go with a big personality guy, he prefers someone he can control a little.
But there are guys out there that I would like. Lawrence Frank would be good.

Nastradamus 06-01-2011 07:59 PM

great move. There's some interesting young names out there. Person,Jackson,Shaw, etc.

Adelman would be interesting. Bet he could maximize Bargnani