Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Donnie Walsh is out, Glen Grunwald new interim GM. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225275)

NY-Knicks 06-03-2011 02:00 PM

Donnie Walsh is out, Glen Grunwald new interim GM.

Quote:

Despite recent success, Donnie Walsh out as Knicks president

Donnie Walsh will not return as president of the New York Knicks, who must find someone else to continue the building job he started.

The Knicks announced in a statement Friday that Walsh and Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan mutually agreed that Walsh will not return when his contract expires at the end of June, a somewhat surprising departure and major loss for a team coming off its best season in a decade.
It also opens questions about whether coach Mike D'Antoni will return for the final year of his deal.
Walsh spent three seasons in New York, leading a massive rebuilding effort that got the Knicks back into the playoffs this season following the acquisitions of Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony.
But Dolan didn't pick up his option for next season, and the two couldn't agree on terms of an extension.
"In a relatively short time with the Knicks, Donnie made a tremendous impact, which will be felt for many years to come,'' Dolan said. "We thank Donnie for his leadership, hard work and many contributions to the revitalization of the team.''
The Knicks said the 70-year-old Walsh will be a consultant next season. Senior vice president Glen Grunwald will serve as interim general manager.
Walsh arrived in New York following the 2007-08 season and immediately went to work cleaning up the mess left by Isiah Thomas. That meant spending two seasons reducing one of the league's highest payrolls, getting the Knicks far enough under the salary cap to afford two top players last summer.
The Knicks got only Stoudemire but traded for Anthony in February and finished 42-40, their first winning record in a decade. They were swept by Boston in their first postseason since 2004, and the roster needs significant upgrades to compete with the top teams in the Eastern Conference.
Walsh had said he wanted to return to make them, but he has battled health problems and didn't appear to have the complete basketball control he was promised upon his hiring, with Dolan still relying on the advice of Thomas even after Walsh fired him.
Stoudemire said after the season he expected Walsh to be back, but the Knicks believe they can replace him without hindering their progress.
"With some of the NBA's premier players, an outstanding coach and one of the league's most passionate and loyal fan bases, we are extremely confident about the future of the Knicks franchise,'' Dolan said.
The highly respected Walsh came to his hometown team after spending 24 years with the Indiana Pacers. He joined their front office as general manager in 1986, became team president in 1988 and CEO in 2003, turning the franchise into a perennial Eastern Conference contender that reached the NBA finals in 2000.
He brought professionalism to a Knicks organization that had become an embarrassment on and off the court during Thomas' reign, unloading some of the burdensome contracts that hindered them for years and relaxing the team's media policies.
His draft record in New York was underwhelming - high lottery picks Danilo Gallinari and Jordan Hill are already gone, though Gallinari was used in the Anthony trade - but Walsh always said his focus was free agency, believing that was the quickest way to rebuild a team.
He refused throughout the season to talk about his future, including reports he was angered that Dolan got involved in the pursuit of Anthony. But his wife and much of his family had remained in Indiana after Walsh came to New York, so he had reason to leave if he wasn't happy with a new contract offer.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/06/03/k...s=iref:nbahpt2

Quote:

How’s this for a new Knicks Big Three: Amar’e Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony and Isiah Thomas?
After all, they need a point guard and Isiah is only 24 years older than Chris Paul.
On the flipside, the “mutally agreed upon” departure of Donnie Walsh as general manager could mean that the 50-year-old Thomas is being welcomed back into the fold by Knicks owner James Dolan. That is, if he ever really left.
According to our pal Chris Sheridan of ESPN.com, Walsh’s desire to be granted full control of running the basketball operation without outside influence is a prime reason he could not come to terms on a new deal to stay in charge of the Knicks through the 2012-13 season.
The Knicks had an April 30 deadline to pick up the fourth-year option on Walsh’s contract, which he signed in 2008 following the troubled tenure of former team president and coach Isiah Thomas. But that date passed with no action being taken, and Walsh and Dolan were discussing a new contract that would keep him with the team at least through the 2012-13 season. Walsh’s desire to have full autonomy was reportedly one of the sticking points. Thomas has continued to keep in contact with Dolan and was believed by many — including Walsh, a team source said — to be influencing the team’s personnel decisions.
Under Walsh’s leadership, which followed Thomas’ tumultuous term as coach and president, the Knicks improved from 23-59 in 2008 to 42-40 and made the playoffs for the first time since the 2003-04 season. He was also the one who cleaned out the burdensome contracts that allowed the Knicks to sign Stoudemire last summer as a free agent and trade for Anthony at midseason.
Walsh’s departure also renews questions about whether coach Mike D’Antoni, who has one year left on his contract, will remain on the bench.
On a day when the basketball world was jumping up and down on the necks of the Miami Heat, who blew a 15-point lead in the final seven minutes of Game 2 Thursday night, were the Knicks just feeling left out of the conversation?
Or is the first step toward a Knicks Big Three with the return of Isiah to Madison Square Garden? All you can do is hold your breath. That’s what Knicks fans have grown accustomed to doing.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/0...s=iref:nbahpt1

franchize 06-03-2011 02:54 PM

Re: Donnie Walsh is out, Glen Grunwald new interim GM.

:wtf: that kinda came outta nowhere.Im not saying im happy or sad...im just shocked...weird timing.

Clutch 06-03-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchize
:wtf: that kinda came outta nowhere.Im not saying im happy or sad...im just shocked...weird timing.

You perfectly described how I feel.

NY-Knicks 06-03-2011 03:36 PM

Fran, I'd expect you to be on suicide watch, since Isiah might come back.

Clutch 06-03-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
Fran, I'd expect you to be on suicide watch, since Isiah might come back.

Isiah has been here all the time. :lol

NY-Knicks 06-03-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutch
Isiah has been here all the time. :lol

How about GM or president?

You'd like that?

NY-Knicks 06-03-2011 03:46 PM

Is this the end of mr. Pringles' Knicks tenure too?

Scoooter 06-03-2011 03:58 PM

Keeping Isiah's seat warm with Grunwald. Awesome.

Rowe 06-03-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Yep.

-Skeptical fanbase
-Guy who hired him no longer in charge
-1 year left on his contract

He might as well resign and take the T'Wolves job now. There is nothing worse than being a sitting duck coach in New York City.

Clutch 06-03-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

It might be the only bright thing in this mess

knickscity 06-03-2011 04:12 PM

This was surprising because of the timing, not the actual news.

franchize 06-03-2011 04:22 PM

thats whats getting me too.why now?

Im not pissed about Thomas speculation because #1 I dont think Dolan has the balls to bring him back and name him GM because of the backlash he'd receive #2 He never really left and #3 He isnt a bad talent evaluator...just bad with money; as are a lot of black men lol

That said,I want Kevin Pritchard or Chris Mullin!!!

Rowe 06-03-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchize
thats whats getting me too.why now?

Im not pissed about Thomas speculation because #1 I dont think Dolan has the balls to bring him back and name him GM because of the backlash he'd receive #2 He never really left and #3 He isnt a bad talent evaluator...just bad with money; as are a lot of black men lol

That said,I want Kevin Pritchard or Chris Mullin!!!

I want Mullin too. Mullin can recognize talent and pull off some good trades.

He just cant evaluate big men in the draft.

Perfect fit for various reasons, primarily due to the respect he has in NY.

knickscity 06-03-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowe
I want Mullin too. Mullin can recognize talent and pull off some good trades.

He just cant evaluate big men in the draft.

Perfect fit for various reasons, primarily due to the respect he has in NY.

I beg to differ a little.

If I'm not mistaken.........

Didn't Mullin sign Adonal Foyle, and Erick Dampier their big contracts?

Didn't he give away a 1st rounder for Marcus Williams then waived him the next season?

Personally I don't want a NY guy just because he is one.

I wanted a guy who will run the team the proper way to build it to be a championship.

I don't think Mullin is that guy.

knickscity 06-03-2011 09:32 PM

I would say just let Warkentein get the job, especially since he is around now anyway.

Although I would think Pritchard is our guy, if he was offered the job.

But overall there may be a silver lining in this......

What happens with D'antoni?

Walsh was his biggest supporter.