Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pistons finally fired head coach John Kuester (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225466)

hawkfan 06-05-2011 04:44 PM

Pistons finally fired head coach John Kuester

The move came as no surprise. The Pistons’ past season disintegrated into a mess, with finger-pointing between Kuester and the players, and culminated in a full-blown mutiny when more than half the team skipped a morning shootaround in February in an organized protest of Kuester.

Earlier, team members walked into the showers after a game while Kuester was giving his post-game speech.

Dumars and Kuester did not respond to requests for comment.

As for the next coach, former Hawks assistant Mike Woodson will likely get an interview, as there is a level of comfort with the former Pistons assistant who was on Larry Brown’s staff during the 2004 championship season.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011060...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

insidehoops 06-05-2011 06:23 PM

Re: Pistons finally fired head coach John Kuester

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7745

Dumars: “As our organization moves forward and prepares for the future, the search for our club’s new head coach is a priority and will begin immediately. However, at this time, we do not have a timetable for hiring a successor. We’ll conduct our due diligence privately and announce a decision when we’ve identified that individual.”

Gundress 06-05-2011 06:31 PM

I am very glad to hear this. Joe Dumbar needs to stop hiring rookie coach, I hope he hires Rick Adelman or some good ass coach.

And he needs to trade Rip Hamilon but still very disappointed for signing crazy $$$ on Ben Gordon, Charles V. He has too many small guards.

FourthTenor 06-05-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gundress
I am very glad to hear this. Joe Dumbar needs to stop hiring rookie coach, I hope he hires Rick Adelman or some good ass coach.

And he needs to trade Rip Hamilon but still very disappointed for signing crazy $$$ on Ben Gordon, Charles V. He has too many small guards.

Man if the team had sat on that money they gave to gordon and charlie and just went for a top lottery pick, they'd be in pretty good shape. or they could have done what the cavs did and take on a bad contract in order to get an extra lottery pick, which is what the cavs ended up winning the lottery with.

that was about the worst way a team could spend 90 million dollars. ouch, pistons.

tamaraw08 06-06-2011 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidehoops
http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7745

Dumars: “As our organization moves forward and prepares for the future, the search for our club’s new head coach is a priority and will begin immediately. However, at this time, we do not have a timetable for hiring a successor. We’ll conduct our due diligence privately and announce a decision when we’ve identified that individual.”

Im just wondering when will Dumars be held accountable for the moves he made?
He hired Kuester,
He traded Billups for Iverson to save money than used that $ so he can sign Ben Gordon and Villanueva for huge salaries that no other team were willing to do.
He missed out on Carmelo and picked Millicic instead.

bdreason 06-06-2011 02:41 AM

This guys was a terrible coach... but changing coaches won't fix the mess that is the Detroit Pistons. Their roster is a complete joke, filled with mismatched talent at all the wrong positions.

Rake2204 06-06-2011 08:37 AM

I would be in favor of Mike Woodson or Bill Laimbeer taking the helm.

Apocalyptic0n3 06-06-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdreason
This guys was a terrible coach... but changing coaches won't fix the mess that is the Detroit Pistons. Their roster is a complete joke, filled with mismatched talent at all the wrong positions.

Thankfully, we should see a major turnover this year. Wilcox, Stuckey, Tayshaun, McGrady, Summers, and Jerebko are free agents and the only one we are 100% resigning is Jerebko. Hopefully Dumars pulls the trigger on the Rip-to-Cavs trade. We would still have CV31 and Gordon, but would be something like $24 million under the current cap if it were to happen. Under proposed CBA rules, with a max contract likely being lower than $15 million a season, and the possibility of cutting the cap hit of one player in half (or something like that, a lot of different rumored proposals have been flying around), we would have significant room to sign or trade for players. Hopefully Dumars does it smartly this time around. Doubtful given his recent track record, but Detroit fans can hope, right?

Also, Laimbeer isn't the right guy for the job. Give it to either Mike Woodson or Lawrence Frank.

bagelred 06-06-2011 09:36 AM

Listen, Dumars had a good plan! He broke up a perennial deep playoffs team to clear cap space so they can sign overrated players for big money, and be a perennial NBA bottom dweller. That's a good plan and it worked perfectly.

hawkfan 06-06-2011 11:33 AM

The roster is mismatched, but they still have some good young talent and some scorers.

To improve the team for next year, get a good pick at no. 8, sign some bigs who can play defense and control the paint (copying the Hawks - Kwame Brown, Dan Gadzuric, et al), and trade for a point guard who can run the offense. Last year, they should have signed Raymond Felton.

DetroitPiston 06-06-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamaraw08
He missed out on Carmelo and picked Millicic instead.

hindsight is 20/20

Rekindled 06-06-2011 12:56 PM

why wont the pistons hire isiah

Laimbeer_Rodman 06-06-2011 01:10 PM

Joe should hire Laimbeer

ThePointGuard11 06-06-2011 02:00 PM

I'm not sure if any coach will be successful with the roster that we have in place right now. We have far too many shooting guards and small forwards, no true point guard and a bunch of guys who refuse to play defense. Needless to say it will be a building process, I wouldn't be against Bill Laimbeer, Rick Adelman or Mike Woodson, but Isiah? I don't know, he's my all-time favorite player, but as a coach he expects too much. He expects his players to play at the level he played at, but doesn't understand that they aren't as talented as he was and may not be able to play at that level. None of the players respected Kuester, therefore his firing was inevitable, I just hope Dumars makes a better choice this time around, Curry then Kuester :confusedshrug: what were you thinking Joe?

kkling 06-06-2011 02:11 PM

This dude is going to LA with Mike Brown!