Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Christmas: Giving or Receiving? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22615)

B-Low 12-19-2006 10:58 PM

Christmas: Giving or Receiving?

I remember being a kid and hearing on all the Christmas specials that "it's better to give than receive" and thinking the people saying that were absolutely insane. But now that i'm older i notice that i'm really starting to agree with it

Today i went to 5 different jewelry stores looking for a SPECIFIC ring that my girlfriend had wanted, and when i finally found it it just felt so damn good. Ive spent the whole season thinking about what to get other people (especially her) and i haven't even asked for anything myself.

Anybody agree? Around Christmas are you more about giving or receiving?

The ring:

LAZYBOY 12-19-2006 11:31 PM

Last year I was....but this year I'm broke and I'd like to choke Santa.

gsxr1kryder 12-20-2006 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAZYBOY
Last year I was....but this year I'm broke and I'd like to choke Santa.

:oldlol: know what you mean. how do you explain to your kid that Santa can't afford and also can't get his hands on a ps3???

anyways, I think the older you get the more you move to the giving side of things. why? because most of the time, you can afford to just go out and buy stuff during the year anytime you want. as a kid, for me anyway, it was always you'll have to wait until Christmas. and since I didn't have any money except for really small allowance, there was no alternative.

Wadeisabeast 12-20-2006 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsxr1kryder
:oldlol: know what you mean. how do you explain to your kid that Santa can't afford and also can't get his hands on a ps3???

anyways, I think the older you get the more you move to the giving side of things. why? because most of the time, you can afford to just go out and buy stuff during the year anytime you want. as a kid, for me anyway, it was always you'll have to wait until Christmas. and since I didn't have any money except for really small allowance, there was no alternative.

If your kids believe still believe in Santa they are too young to play a PS3. I knew santa when I was 8, but my parents were also very bad at hiding it. There would be presents under the tree with "santa" on them in early December. I wouldn't get kids a new gaming console until they were at least 12, because there are no games made for young kids.

ALBballer 12-20-2006 10:15 AM

Nah, it's better to receive then to give. I remember this chick gave me a christmas present last year and I told her " you know I'm not going to give you anything back, I'm muslim, I don't celebrate you corporate holidays" and she said she didn't care. Well needless to say, I don't think I will get another 50 dollar gift certificate from best buy this year from her.

9spurs 12-20-2006 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Low
I remember being a kid and hearing on all the Christmas specials that "it's better to give than receive" and thinking the people saying that were absolutely insane. But now that i'm older i notice that i'm really starting to agree with it

Today i went to 5 different jewelry stores looking for a SPECIFIC ring that my girlfriend had wanted, and when i finally found it it just felt so damn good. Ive spent the whole season thinking about what to get other people (especially her) and i haven't even asked for anything myself.

Anybody agree? Around Christmas are you more about giving or receiving?

The ring:

Kinda both but probably the giving side. It's true
when they say the older you get the more your willing to give.

mlh1981 12-20-2006 03:57 PM

re:

the only things I want don't come in gift form, so I don't really care if I get anything at all. It's much better buying for other people

gsxr1kryder 12-20-2006 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadeisabeast
If your kids believe still believe in Santa they are too young to play a PS3. I knew santa when I was 8, but my parents were also very bad at hiding it. There would be presents under the tree with "santa" on them in early December. I wouldn't get kids a new gaming console until they were at least 12, because there are no games made for young kids.

yeah, i know. the games out right now are pretty scarce. there's only a couple that I myself would play. but that's about the only thing he's been asking for. don't really know why. I guess he likes my ps2. but he's getting to the age where he's gonna figure out the whole Santa thing and i hate to disappont him, but i'm not spending 600 bucks on something that he's not old enough to take care of.

man I use to be able to fill out 2 pages of stuff that i wanted for christmas. my family asked me for a list of stuff i wanted last week, and it took me 3 days to come up with about 4 or 5 things i could tell them.