Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brooklyn Nets Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Welcome Marshon Brooks, Bojan Bogdanović, and Jordan Williams to the Nets! (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228229)

D12"Magic" 06-23-2011 11:15 PM

Welcome Marshon Brooks, Bojan Bogdanović, and Jordan Williams to the Nets!

Thank you BK for making a great trade. Hes a great high volume scorer. So morrow comes off the bench now?

I'm going to edit this a bit:
Quote:

In a draft that surprised both in terms of picks and trades, the Nets traded for Providence's MarShon Brooks, the second leading scorer in the NCAA this past season, in a trade with the Celtics then bought the rights to Croatia's Bojan Bogdanovic from the Heat and finally drafted Jordan Williams out of Maryland.

The Nets sent draft rights for JaJuan Johnson, taken at #27, along with a 2014 second rounder, to Boston for Brooks, who the Celtics had taken at #25. Shortly after completing that trade, the Nets purchased Bogdanovic's rights from the Timberwolves. He's a 6'7" swingman. To complete the deal, the Nets sent Minny a 2013 second rounder. Bogdanovic, a Croatian, was second highest scorer in the Euroleague.

Finally, the Nets used their own #36 pick to take Williams a 6'10" power forward, who averaged 17.2 ppg and 11.5 rpg (third in the NCAA) last season but has long battled weight and conditioning issues.

Word of the Brooks deal first reported by Adrian Wojnarowski as the Celtics picked Brooks. Nets insiders thought early in the draft process that Brooks has as much upside as anyone in the draft, but he never worked out for them, having hurt his ankle just before a scheduled trip to New Jersey. The Nets had also thought early on that Bogdanovic, 21, had first round talent.
http://www.netsdaily.com/

So in the end, the Nets end up with Marshon Brooks, Bojan Bogdanovic, and Jordan Williams.

Puretalent365 06-24-2011 12:54 AM

Re: Welcome Marshon Brooks to the Nets!

I went from down right upset and cursing out boston and dallas . To being overjoyed when they got the player I wanted from day one.morrow becomes a bench player

ZHAKIDD532 06-24-2011 09:59 AM

Seems like a solid pick. I'm excited to see him play.

Nets fan 93 06-24-2011 11:31 AM

I have never seen him play but the reviews about him sound awesome. I dont think he will be replacing morrow though.

wang4three 06-24-2011 12:01 PM

The starting job is Morrow's unless MarShon takes it from him. I've seen him a bit at Providence. My main concern is whether or not he can learn a team game. He played on a team where he was clearly the best and he was given the green light to do whatever he wanted. It resulted in a stoppage of ball movement and a lot of watching of MarShon go one on five. In the NBA he has to learn to use his teammates and learn to play off ball with Deron and Brook.

Morrow's been amazing at that already. Hopefully MarShon takes lessons from him on how to fill open spaces and be within the passing angle. He'll also need to learn how to cut properly as well.

I would've been happy with keeping Jajuan Johnson. This is where if we had kept Jordan Crawford last year (which I wanted to do), we wouldn't need MarShon as much and get to keep Johnson. It may be because I'm a Big Ten fan, but Johnson would've made a great back up 4 for us and we could've taken someone else outside of Jordan Williams. Jordan screams Josh Boone part II to me. Not that big of fan of that pick. Would've preferred Darius Morris, Leuer, or DeAndre Liggins. Especially Liggins.

Overall I'm fine with our picks. MarShon has borderline all-star potential, just needs to make his game more efficient.

franchize 06-24-2011 12:33 PM

Re: Welcome Marshon Brooks, Bojan Bogdanović, and Jordan Williams to the Nets!

:applause: Long time Knicks fan here.Just want to congratulate you guys on your pick.I think it will be the steal of the draft!

JerzeyBlaze 06-24-2011 12:53 PM

im surprised the knicks didnt pick brooks

Keith 06-24-2011 02:49 PM

We'll see how good Brooks is Skip Bayless is all hyped up on him.

The euro guy looks really good. He's got a contract for a team over there so he'll come over when we're in Brooklyn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4HoxQshshQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO3HySXjQYE

I was thinking wow Miami got a talent and then to find out the Nets traded for him! They sured up the 2guard spot.

BKing had a good draft:applause:

gigantes 06-24-2011 06:58 PM

wow, the nets had a chance at tyler with their final pick and still passed on him. GM's were still spooked, i guess.

re: steal of the draft,
nets won the award at least three times recently and their names were all williams. so the award scares me a little. :P

as for brooks, who knows what to think:
Quote:

Jonathan Givony Interview with RaptorsHQ
June 20, 2011

I'm surprised by the way that Marshon Brooks has risen up the boards. He was a mid second-round pick six weeks ago, but then he started going through the process, he had good measurements, he had a good showing at the combine, and his stock has really, really risen to the point that he's probably going to be a mid-first-round pick. He might have gone at 45 six weeks ago. I think history tells you that that's always a bit of a red flag.

I watched him play extensively this season in person and on tape and I wonder if he's going to be able to get away with some of the things that he did at Providence, the way he monopolizes the ball, his shot selection, the tunnel-vision he shows, the bad body language, the lack of enthusiasm for playing defense. But I felt the same way about Nick Young, I felt the same way about Jordan Crawford, these guys end up having NBA careers. Whether they're the most efficient players, whether they end up helping their team win games, that's up for debate.

that was from draftexpress. a much more detailed article is here:
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...n-Brooks-3756/

HelloBrooklyn 06-24-2011 08:27 PM

Most draft sites have given the Nets a B/B+, which is pretty good for where they were picking. I don't expect much from the second round picks but the Brooks selection looks like it could be the biggest steal of the draft.

D12"Magic" 06-25-2011 12:02 PM

Not that i want to see him gone but Brooks can be used as a great trade piece for that great Center.

Nets fan 93 06-25-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D12"Magic"
Not that i want to see him gone but Brooks can be used as a great trade piece for that great Center.

Maybe... Maybe thats why they bought Bojan Bogdanovic too? They may keep one of them? It's easier to trade the rights to players though.

insidehoops 06-25-2011 06:22 PM

The New Jersey Nets have acquired the draft rights to MarShon Brooks, the 25th pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, from the Boston Celtics, for the rights to the 27th pick, JuJuan Johnson, and the Nets’ 2014 second round pick, Nets General Manager Billy King announced tonight. In the second round, the Nets selected Jordan Williams with the 36th overall pick.

Brooks, 6’5”/200, was named Third Team AP All-America and a finalist for the John R. Wooden Award as a senior at Providence. The First Team All-Big East selection averaged 24.6 points, 7.0 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 1.5 steals and 1.2 blocks in 32 games during the 2010-11 campaign. He scored a Big East record 52 points vs. No. 9 Notre Dame on 2/23/11, converting a league-record 20 field goals.

Williams, 6’10”/260, led the ACC in rebounding (11.8 rpg) as a sophomore, ranking third nationally. He also averaged 16.9 points and 1.4 blocks in 33 games his sophomore year. Williams ranked second in Division I with 25 double-doubles, establishing a school record. He was a First-Team All-ACC pick and an AP All-America Honorable Mention choice. Williams was a midseason candidate for the Wooden and Naismith awards. He was named to the ACC All-Rookie Team as a freshman and was only the third Terp freshman in history with 250 points and 250 boards (Joe Smith, Buck Williams).

Nets fan 93 06-26-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidehoops
The New Jersey Nets have acquired the draft rights to MarShon Brooks, the 25th pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, from the Boston Celtics, for the rights to the 27th pick, JuJuan Johnson, and the Nets’ 2014 second round pick, Nets General Manager Billy King announced tonight. In the second round, the Nets selected Jordan Williams with the 36th overall pick.

Brooks, 6’5”/200, was named Third Team AP All-America and a finalist for the John R. Wooden Award as a senior at Providence. The First Team All-Big East selection averaged 24.6 points, 7.0 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 1.5 steals and 1.2 blocks in 32 games during the 2010-11 campaign. He scored a Big East record 52 points vs. No. 9 Notre Dame on 2/23/11, converting a league-record 20 field goals.

Williams, 6’10”/260, led the ACC in rebounding (11.8 rpg) as a sophomore, ranking third nationally. He also averaged 16.9 points and 1.4 blocks in 33 games his sophomore year. Williams ranked second in Division I with 25 double-doubles, establishing a school record. He was a First-Team All-ACC pick and an AP All-America Honorable Mention choice. Williams was a midseason candidate for the Wooden and Naismith awards. He was named to the ACC All-Rookie Team as a freshman and was only the third Terp freshman in history with 250 points and 250 boards (Joe Smith, Buck Williams).

Thanks for the info Mr.ISH

Puretalent365 06-27-2011 04:21 PM

I think the only thing that is gonna hold Brooks back from starting is Coach Johnson. I like Morrow but he has no all round game and his game is to depend on other people on the floor. Plus his defense is awful. With the year he just had teams will tighten up on him so he is gonna have to expend his offensive game which I believe isnt gonna happen.